Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Help in moving
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi, I have an old HTPC running Windows 7, with a KODI install I am quite happy with, but the machine is becoming slow and noisy, so time to move....

I will be picking up a new (for me, but slightly used) Windows 10 PC in a couple of days to replace my old HTPC. All my content is stored on a NAS, to no movies or music files should be affected by the movie.

I hope (and assume) that there is a smart way of 'moving' my present install from my old to my new PC, rather than having to set up a new installation? I have made quite a few modifications to my set-up over the years to reflect the use of an old-fashioned file structure for movies, the use of an external player for ripped blu-rays and lots of non-US titles. How do I get all of the work that has gone into this across to a new PC; any hints and tips, and ikssues ot be aware of etc before I get rid of my old PC will be very much appreciated!!

BTW my libraby consists of about 5.000 ripped discs, so even well intentioned suggestions that I re-rip my library with another structure will not be entertained :-)
The simplest and most direct solution is to make a copy of the entire Kodi main profile folder. It will contain all settings, databases, skins, add-ons, etcetera. Have a look via C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\Kodi
If not for moving a setup, then certainly as a backup. Just in case...
See the Windows specific section... https://kodi.wiki/view/Backup
you could just copy the whole kodi folder from C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming
(2022-02-07, 15:04)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]my libraby consists of about 5.000 ripped discs
Hope you have exported your library to separate files and by that action you will have eliminated all fear of losing your set-up.
(2022-02-08, 04:20)PatK Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-02-07, 15:04)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]my libraby consists of about 5.000 ripped discs
Hope you have exported your library to separate files and by that action you will have eliminated all fear of losing your set-up.

Hi, the library is on a NAS in a redundant RAID set-up which should be quite robust. Ca't remember the details right now, but I think 2 out of the 6 hard disks can fail at the same time and the library should still be revoverable somehow (I am not much of a cimouter expert, I just lke to watch movies). The change of HTPC should not affect the library at all, but it is the KODI set-up and different adjustments to settings and so on, which was done so long ago I cannot not remeber or repeat it, that I am worried about.
(2022-02-08, 16:13)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]Hi, the library is on a NAS in a redundant RAID set-up which should be quite robust

Still, a NAS or RAID itself is not considered a backup. But if the Kodi settings are your concern, just make a full copy of the Kodi data folder, and keep it somewhere safe in a different location.
(2022-02-07, 23:48)the_other_guy Wrote: [ -> ]you could just copy the whole kodi folder from C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming

So copy that folder onto a USB-stick, then install KODI on the new HTPC, then replace (paste) the new kodi folder in C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming (on the new HTPC) with the folder from the USB stick?

I was thinking I should take the opportunity to update to the latest version of KODI, I am running v 18.6 now. If I install the latest  version of KODI (19.3??), will my old copied folder C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming still work? I am in particular thinking of some changes made to the advanced settings if I recall correctly, that start PowerDVD when playing ripped blu rays, but also some changes that were made to the way sub-folders and files were sorted/scraped to account for my ripping DVDs folder-by-folder, rather than as an 'image' (if I understand the difference correctly).

Thanks for all your help guys, I really appreciate it! Without a well functioning KODI I would not have a well functioning marriage, my wife for some reason did not see the charm of multiple DVD-changers and tonnes of bookshelves filled with DVD covers.....
(2022-02-07, 21:21)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]See the Windows specific section... https://kodi.wiki/view/Backup

Karellen,

Two questions: In the section you kindly point me to it says: 

"3.1 Full
The simplest method is the full Kodi Data backup which will backup everything except the original installation folder. It will preserve all add-ons, skins, library databases, playlists, cache along with all their respective settings and any other modifications you have made."
 Does this ("everything except the original installation folder")  include the library?? I would then need around 30TB and it would surely take forever to back up...?

If I don't perform a full back-up, but just copy/paste the AppData/Roaming (as I don't think I need a back-up of my media content, only my KODI settings etc), what will happen to all the art-work changes I have made? I have typically made and stored my own artwork, and sometine .nfo files (if I remember the term correctly) in the individual movie folder, then 'told" KODI whcih artwork to use. A lot of work has gone into such modifications, and it is quite important for me to keep this.
(2022-02-08, 16:30)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]If I install the latest  version of KODI (19.3??), will my old copied folder C:\Users\you\AppData\Roaming still work?
The new set-up will not likely include the same path to media, if perchance it does.. you will be fine. I wouldn't recommend an update, but a fresh installation.
(2022-02-08, 17:34)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]what will happen to all the art-work changes I have made?
Do export your library to separate files, it will save your artwork, metadata & changes to the media folder. Should you choose to back-up & copy and it doesn't work out, your artwork, metadata & changes to the media folder will survive. A local scan will retrieve them without much difficulty.

Best procedure in my mind would be a fresh installation in Portable mode (wiki) copy over the advancedsettings.xml (guisetting.xml if you want to keep the same settings and playercorefactory.xml if you have a custom version) then a local scan of your sources should not take long if you indeed have exported your library. Extras, add-ons and skins can be installed after that pretty quickly.
Hi PatK, thanks for your reply.

Just so I don't misunderstand, by "I wouldn't recommend an update, but a fresh installation" you mean I should install 18.6 Leia (at least initially) on the new HTPC, not 19.3?

By "Do export your library to separate files, it will save your artwork" you do not mean I should do a full back-up of all my media content?, but use an option in to make such an export?

Sorry for these stupid questions, but I just want to make sure I am not losing anything, content or work-wise, when I move from one HTPC to another!
(2022-02-08, 17:34)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]Does this ("everything except the original installation folder")  include the library??
As in the Kodi library, not your media files as they are not located in the \Roaming\Kodi folder.
(2022-02-08, 20:19)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-02-08, 17:34)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]Does this ("everything except the original installation folder")  include the library??
As in the Kodi library, not your media files as they are not located in the \Roaming\Kodi folder.

Aha, I thought my library was my content... 

But the export will be part of the roaming folder, and this make it across to the new HTPC? And I assume I then import it into KODI, or is that done automatically when I paste the entire copied folder into the  app\roaming folder on the new HTPC?
Export? There is no export if you are using the full method. You just copy the \roaming\Kodi folder from one location to another.
Ah, but I was referring to the "Do export your library to separate files" comment, which I was trying to understand. Sorry for the misunderstanding!
Pages: 1 2 3