Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Media server/player for Samsung TV wanted
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Have set up Plex to figure some things out; also Mezzmo but issues there, so here I am in no particular order.  What I want to find is a media server/player that I can use to play all my content on a Samsung tv;  previously was using a Kdlinks HD720 with no issues, but it croaked on me.  So, the problem is that I have a huge number of ISO files along with MKV, mp4 avi and all that.  Question is, will KODI be able to do what I need.

Help would be appreciated prior to install.  Kodi app will also need to be available on our smart tv. Messmo wasn't; Plex was.
After a quick look at https://kodi.tv/about Perusing the wiki's are the best introduction I can think of. First time user (wiki) Given this is a windows support forum, it sounds like you're leaning towards a PC installation. Kodi can be installed in some smart TV's (primarily Sony), but with limitations, much better functionality with discrete hardware. Check out the hardware thread for guidance.
Thanks for the input.  And yes it is a Win 1 machine networked to a laptop and 2 Samsung TVs    so far.   Mezzmo would have been as it worked well with iso files but not with the TV's
(2022-02-09, 07:57)needle Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for the input.  And yes it is a Win 1 machine networked to a laptop and 2 Samsung TVs    so far.   Mezzmo would have been as it worked well with iso files but not with the TV's

I've found Smart TVs to be inconsistent for clients, especially over time as new models come out, how they control their app stores, codec support etc.  While I have smart TVs I decided to have my own clients which will work with any TV.  Here's a list of Kodi clients I use with Mezzmo in my setup.

Clients

3 - Vero 4K+ running Kodi 19.3 on OSMC
1 - Intel NUC NUC 8i7BEH running LibreElec 10.0 w/Kodi 19.3
1 - Intel NUC NUC 5I7RYH running LibreElec 10.0 w/Kodi 19.3
1 - Raspberry Pi 4 LibreElec 10.0 w/Kodi 19.3
1 - Raspberry Pi 3B+ LibreElec 10.0 w/Kodi 19.3 for whole house audio streaming has 2ch x 35W amplifier
Multiple Windows PC and Samsung phones running Kodi on Windows and using the Mezzmo web streaming interface

The Vero 4K+ units are the closest to plug-n-play or set and forget.  I know you might now want to add hardware but to me it is a trade-off between reliability and support vs. a minor cost.

Jeff
(2022-02-09, 02:41)needle Wrote: [ -> ]  What I want to find is a media server/player that I can use to play all my content on a Samsung tv;

there are some but you do not get all the art 
not sure what tv you are using but my samsung tv has the media server software on input menu
you can set windows 10 as a media server
https://pureinfotech.com/turn-pc-dlna-me...indows-10/
 Jellyfin can be run as a simple media server from input menu
or full using web browser
https://jellyfin.org/
Thanks for that Jeff;  Al here; I do have Mezzmo installed but stopped using it for a while I worked on the ISO issue that I own! In the last 4 days every time I think I have it solved, something else pops up.  I am not an expert at this and have been doing a lot of reading up.  I printed out your post and I will dig into it this afternoon.  Too bad about Plex as it works fine except for ISO issue.  Just have to figure this streaming out to the Samsung TVs. Having brain problems with Mezzmo file system but will get back at it later.

I am like an old dog with a bone;  don't want to give up.
Samsung TV is a QLED - QN65Q80T and I am networking from a Win 11 Desktop PC;  both are hardwired to the Router.  Laptop and Printer are wireless to the Router.  The dead Media player was hard wired to the network also.  That dead player was perfect for me but yes, it was old school and almost 8 yrs. old.  Mezzmo is installed on the PC and what I have to figure out is how to talk to the TV with it.  Looking into the VERO 4K + but I may find yet a software solution.  I have a lot to investigate and my 900+ ISO files aren't going anywhere.
Thanks.
Too  bad that I couldn't use the Plex Media server with the Mezzmo Media Player.  Plex server already working with the Plex player.  But what do I know!!
(2022-02-10, 00:19)needle Wrote: [ -> ]Too  bad that I couldn't use the Plex Media server with the Mezzmo Media Player.  Plex server already working with the Plex player.  But what do I know!!

The Mezzmo addon for Kodi will work with Plex if you enable DLNA mode on the Plex server and download the multi-server version of the addon but you'd need Kodi running on your TV or a dedicated hardware client.  I can't speak for the Mezzmo Media Player client but it connects to a Mezzmo server which uses DLNA connectivity vs. something proprietary so it might work to a limited extent. 

However, that won't resolve your challenge since you want to stream ISOs, which a Mezzmo server will, as you've indicated above.  I tested ISO streaming from a Mezzmo server early on when the feature was first released but I haven't played much with it since.   I do have a test setup I could do some testing with.

Jeff
Looks to me that Mezzmo transcodes the ISO to AVI so that it will play on the Samsung whereas the HD720 didn't have to do that;  HDMI cable in and it just worked great.  I have had a yak earlier with person at BestBuy who seems to know what he is doing.  He put me onto Plex for a start.  Going to see him again today after I see my favorite guy, my Dentist.  I also have VLC Media Player of board  as it plays my ISO files on the PC but I haven't figured out the streaming yet.  Finding streaming a difficult topic.
(2022-02-10, 21:01)needle Wrote: [ -> ]Looks to me that Mezzmo transcodes the ISO to AVI so that it will play on the Samsung whereas the HD720 didn't have to do that;  HDMI cable in and it just worked great.  I have had a yak earlier with person at BestBuy who seems to know what he is doing.  He put me onto Plex for a start.  Going to see him again today after I see my favorite guy, my Dentist.  I also have VLC Media Player of board  as it plays my ISO files on the PC but I haven't figured out the streaming yet.  Finding streaming a difficult topic.

Mezzmo has a set of options for transcoding, including disabling transcoding.  I don't transcode anything with Mezzmo.  One of the challenges with ISOs is ensuring the end point you are using is able to support all of the various codecs (audio / video) that are contained within the ISO files.  Over the years the codecs and containers have changed and they are different across DVD and Blu_Ray.  This is where Kodi shines, since it pretty much supports almost all codecs.  That was my earlier reference to codecs further up the post.  Samsung TV's generally have pretty good codec support but not as good as Kodi.  FYI, I found this link regarding Plex and ISO support.  You might need to question your Best Buy person a bit more.  One thing with ISOs we haven't discussed is menuing and navigation.  if that is required then you'll need to look at proprietary solutions  which support that.  uPNP / DLNA streaming can support DVD, BlurRay and 4K UHD media in the ISos but not the menuing / navigation.

Jeff
Putting all that I have read and received on line together into a viable solution is a problem for me at my age;  trying I am. Like with KODI; does it go onto the Samsung as an app?? or do they compliment each other on the PC
I would be happy if I had two media players on my PC, one for ISO files.  As for changing all my files over to MKV   WOW, a lot of work with 900 plus files.  I have played around a bit with Handbrake but found that setting all the options up to get a GREAT copy is very difficult.  Not concerned at my end with storage space at least.
Will look at KODI next.   The person at BestBuy is off sick and I was just using him ( helpful guy) as another source of information.
"
Makes we wonder how the original Media Player   Box did all this with no problem at all  I  could play "movie only" ISO files or ISO files with menus and trailers; and AVI, MP4 and of course MKV and ISO.  Box didn't care and would plug into any TV I tried it on via HDMI.
(2022-02-11, 22:58)needle Wrote: [ -> ]problem for me at my age
Thought you where 39, anyway; well you missed the love boat.
(2022-02-11, 22:58)needle Wrote: [ -> ]changing all my files over to MKV
Check out Supplemental tools (wiki) MakeMKV takes ~2 minutes, and has batch capabilities. Kodi on a PC should handle .iso files but .mkv/mp4 are better containers.
Try 73!!
I have built a couple of computer myself with the parts I wanted but I suck at the tech stuff including networking; sorry to admit ; will look into what you sent today;  funny, I was just about to watch a video on YouTube about using KODI on a PC.  At least I am learning a lot.
Thanks!
Quick update;  Kodi installed; ran it; it saw my files on 1 drive;  played one ISO on the PC;  challenge is to get it onto the Samsung;   more reading for me.
Pages: 1 2