Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi v19 on Nvidia Shield TV Pro auto-closing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So ever since I updated to v19... and now currently at v19.3, Kodi has been auto closing out to the Shield TV Home screen. This is happening on both my older Pro 500GB... and also the newer released Pro version. I have other Shield TVs in other rooms that  I've kept on Kodi v18.9 and don't have this problem. I completely rebuilt my library from scratch on my older 500GB Shield TV and am still having the issue. It has a strange behavior about it... if I reboot the Shield TV and start up Kodi, it will auto close within a few seconds. After reopening, it will take a bit longer to auto close. It will do this a handful of times and progressively last longer each time until it stays on for a while and may last about 3 or so hours before auto closing again. And once the Shield TV is rebooted, it will repeat the same behavior and auto close immediately again. I have very few apps installed from the Android store and very few Kodi addons installed (mostly Kodi utilities, no streaming apps... I use all local server content) so I keep my system as minimum as possible. I have tried a few "fixes" I've read on different pages, but with no success yet. But I haven't read this particular behavior, so I might not have those same issues causing it to close.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Just a thought, try enabling ANR option on shield's developer options, to see if it's ANR issue
(2022-02-14, 23:21)G0mez Wrote: [ -> ]Just a thought, try enabling ANR option on shield's developer options, to see if it's ANR issue
Well, I found the ANR toggle option you mentioned... enabled that and rebooted, started up Kodi and it closed out to the home screen within 5 seconds. Thanks for the suggestion though!
It's just guess work without a full debug log that catches the crash.
Hi @Cory1980

I also have a similar problem.
It seems that using kodi addons that need “Python module sqlite3” like “Plex kodi connect” or “Emby for kodi next gen” , which is absolutely necessary to access the different databases, makes kodi to crash randomly on shield 2015 with experience 9 and latest hotfix.
Are you using any of these? Or other one that needs sqlite3?
(2022-02-15, 11:04)ntilagoa Wrote: [ -> ]Hi @Cory1980

I also have a similar problem.
It seems that using kodi addons that need “Python module sqlite3” like “Plex kodi connect” or “Emby for kodi next gen” , which is absolutely necessary to access the different databases, makes kodi to crash randomly on shield 2015 with experience 9 and latest hotfix.
Are you using any of these? Or other one that needs sqlite3?
Hi, I can't really speak to sqlite3 module correlation, not real sure about that... but this is happening on both my 2015 Shield TV Pro and my latest 2021 Shield TV Pro version. They both have the 3rd hotfix, which did fix an issue I had recently accessing Kodi files over the network. I am definitely interested in suggestions that anyone might have about a fix... but otherwise, I plan on submitting the debug log and going through that process when I get some time (haven't done this yet).
@Cory1980 are you still having this issue with 9.0.1? I didn't notice this before, only after the latest 9.0.1+hotfix. Kodi 19.3 crashes within seconds (after a restart of the shield) but lasts a little longer if Kodi is reopened after it crashed.
I only use Kodi in the shield to play muy music library (remote NFS Mount) and didn't install any add-on
(2022-02-21, 10:16)htpcero Wrote: [ -> ]@Cory1980 are you still having this issue with 9.0.1? I didn't notice this before, only after the latest 9.0.1+hotfix. Kodi 19.3 crashes within seconds (after a restart of the shield) but lasts a little longer if Kodi is reopened after it crashed.
I only use Kodi in the shield to play muy music library (remote NFS Mount) and is didn't install any add-on

Yes, I did the latest manual hotfix... and even had a regular update a few days after that, and the issue is still there for me. After the first few attempts to open Kodi after a reboot... it eventually stays on for a while before closing back out, so it's not unbearable for now. But I do plan on running the debug log sometime soon.
Just a quick update, I am no longer seeing the crashes, the problem was something in my configuration, with a blank configuration there were no issues. I suspect the configuration issue was with upnpserver.xml, I had copied it together with advancedsettings from another install that is still running, and I noticed it contains a UUID that seems to be a random number, I figured I might have two servers with the same UUID so I manually changed it.
That said - why this issue manifested after the nvidia update to 9.0.1 and not before is a mystery. Point it, now kodi seems to be working just fine.
Hi @Hitcher, here is my Kodi log. This is my first time troubleshooting using a log file, I apologize in advance if I'm doing something wrong...

https://paste.kodi.tv/ogimeyahid.kodi
I noticed the log ends at "[ script.embuary.info ] Refreshing next airing database" . So I disabled the embuary addon, but still experiencing the same issue.
(2022-03-08, 01:56)htpcero Wrote: [ -> ]Just a quick update, I am no longer seeing the crashes, the problem was something in my configuration, with a blank configuration there were no issues. I suspect the configuration issue was with upnpserver.xml, I had copied it together with advancedsettings from another install that is still running, and I noticed it contains a UUID that seems to be a random number, I figured I might have two servers with the same UUID so I manually changed it.
That said - why this issue manifested after the nvidia update to 9.0.1 and not before is a mystery. Point it, now kodi seems to be working just fine.

htpcero, thank you for the update... that fix makes sense, I basically did the same thing as far as copy over those same old xml files from a previous build. I got rid of my "advancedsettings.xml" all together as I'm not really using it anymore anyway... and also removed the "upnpserver.xml" to allow Kodi to generate a new one. After looking at my connected ShieldTVs, I did have 2 of them sharing the exact same attributes of the upnpserver.xml, but now they don't. Still no luck though, but thanks for the follow up.
please have a look at my thread. I have the exact same problem:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=367257

also:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/for...-crashing/

I have also read that solution regarding upnpserver.xml. But unfortunately I do not have this file at all...

Current status with me:

On my old Shield 2017 everything seems to work. On the Shield Pro I still get the crashes....
(2022-02-13, 05:12)Cory1980 Wrote: [ -> ]It has a strange behavior about it... if I reboot the Shield TV and start up Kodi, it will auto close within a few seconds. After reopening, it will take a bit longer to auto close. It will do this a handful of times and progressively last longer each time until it stays on for a while and may last about 3 or so hours before auto closing again. And once the Shield TV is rebooted, it will repeat the same behavior and auto close immediately again. 

Unfortunately I had not read your thread before. But this is EXACTLY the behaviour of mine. At least I know now, that I am not crazy !
Pages: 1 2 3