Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Unable to Access Drive via SMB in Either One Device or Another
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When I use Kodi 18.9 with the SMB setting min - none and max - SMBv3, I can access both an old Popcorn Hour and a Win 10 PC.

When I use Kodi 19.3 with the same setting, I can't access the Popcorn Hour (it keeps asking for the password) but I can access the Win 10 PC.

However, when I set Kodi 19.3 with min - SMBv1 and max - SMBv1 and legacy security activated, I can access the Popcorn Hour but not the Win 10 PC. Even if I disable SMBv3 in the Win 10 PC, I still can't access it.

Finally, I have to use Kodi 19.3 in a box with Android 11.1 because when I use Kodi 18.9, the system crashes such that I have to reset the box.
SMBv2+ requires a Windows user account with full credentials on the "server" side, meaning with a set password. Also, network browsing is currently not supported with SMBv2.
Kodi should be able to accept SMBv1 connections, but it is not recommended for obvious reasons.
Thanks. I have the ff. setup:

Win 10 PC - shared folders are read only for everyone, so I can access them using any user name and password I enter
Popcorn Hour - there's a given user name and password I have to enter

Two Android TV boxes, one using Android 8.1 and the other using Android 11.1, with more ROM and RAM, and which I prefer.

From what I gathered,
Kodi 18.9 in either box, with default SMB settings min - none and max - SMBv3
I can access the Win 10 PC by using its IP address and entering any user name and password.
I can access the Popcorn Hour by using its IP address and the given user name and password

Kodi 19.3 in either box, with default SMB settings min - none and max - SMBv3
I can access the Win 10 PC using the process given above.
I can't access the Popcorn Hour. I see the folders, but when I enter them, I'm asked for the password, which I enter correctly but isn't accepted.

Kodi 19.3 in either box, with SMB settings min - SMBv1 and max - SMBv1, and legacy security on
I can no longer access the Win 10 PC.
I can now access the Popcorn Hour correctly.

In addition, when I use Kodi 18.9 in the Android 11.1 box, the device crashes after several minutes of use. There are no problems if I use Kodi 19.3.
I noticed that the same thing takes place in Kodi for Windows. That is,

I installed Kodi 19.3 for Windows, and tried to add the Popcorn Hour IP address as a network location. Kodi keeps asking for the password.

The Popcorn Hour folders can be seen using the Windows file explorer of the operating system.