Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Rasp Pi4 blackscreen when launching Kodi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I just installed Kodi 18.7 on my raspberry pi 4 and when I launch kodi, its dropping to a black screen - the screen immediately goes into powersave and the only thing that is still responding is an SSH into the pi. The only way to recover is to kill the process and then I have to startx to get the screen back again.

In the logs im seeing a warning cdrmutils: :FindPlane - could not find plane and then lists a ton of notice: found resolution with different resolution rates my screens resolution is listed. not sure if this has anything to do with my problem however.

I think i got the log up correctly? https://paste.kodi.tv/ipabusuqur.kodi
Not sure where I am headed with this issue and would appreciate any help!
(2022-03-03, 22:21)harbingerofdoom Wrote: [ -> ]Kodi 18.7

Hmm... That is not quite the latest version. There is Raspberry Pi OS Bullseye nowadays, it should have an uptodate Kodi 19.x onboard.
Or, if it's really only Kodi you need instead of a full OS, why not try LibreELEC instead?
So, I uninstalled kodi, updated to bullseye and then reinstalled kodi, its still pulling the same version 18.7 and the same behavior is happening.
I am wondering if I'm going to have to take the nuclear option and flash the card with bullseye which I really do not want to do.

I do need the full OS because ill be using other stuff that libre just wont allow for - would be a viable option if not for that.
I re-imaged with buster, reinstalled kodi- same exact behavior.
it does have kodi 19 on there now.

totally unsure where to go from here as Im coming up empty when trying to search for this issue.
How did you install kodi and how are you launching it?
installed via command line- launching from the menu.
Here is the last logfile
https://paste.kodi.tv/inozisumep.kodi
Where did you install bullseye from? Do you have dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d in /boot/config.txt? (which is a default option)
dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d  is present, yes.

When this started I was on buster I did an apt full-upgrade to bulleye, same issue, but was also not getting kodi 19 offered and it didnt even see it so something was off for sure.
reimaged with buster image from raspberrypi.com
Pulled the bullseye image from raspberrypi.com
Wrote both with balena- this bullseye install is where it started giving me kodi 19. installed, but same exact problem.

additional info in case its relevant but it probably isnt:
When it crashes, the system is still up and I can ssh into it- top shows kodi running. I have to kill that and then restart display-manager to get the gui back (and its missing the taskbar when I do this)
I'm using a sunfounder 10.1 LCD touch display.
> I'm using a sunfounder 10.1 LCD touch display

That sounds like pretty significant information. Can you test if it works with hdmi?
i just saw this thread: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=367413
On a whim i decided to launch kodi from ssh - I am getting the same thing:

cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
cannot connect to server request channel
Jack Server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr: :~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for  -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr: :~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for  -1, skipping unlock

I wasnt seeing this before but it happens every time I launch kodi from command in ssh
Ill have to pick up a longer mini HDMI to test but yes. Ill post once Ive picked one up.
Was finally able to test on another monitor, it launches fine on that so it is something with this sunfounder screen.
The errors about jackserver not running are still happening but appear to be unrelated to this specific issue.

Any ideas on where to head next?
(2022-03-18, 19:33)harbingerofdoom Wrote: [ -> ]Any ideas on where to head next?
Does the display work with latest RpiOS bullseye image?
(2022-03-19, 14:40)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-03-18, 19:33)harbingerofdoom Wrote: [ -> ]Any ideas on where to head next?
Does the display work with latest RpiOS bullseye image?

Yes. Works with every build Ive tried, but just causes this behavior with Kodi & no other apps that Ive noticed. I have an old Pi 2 that i plugged into it and that works no problem - Its on a super old version of raspbian and kodi that I have not even started in 2 years. Cant even remember the versions its on. Its working there though.

~edit~ For kicks i grabbed the current LibreELEC and burned that to a card using balena. I get the loading screen and when it should be opening Kodi, I get the same behavior- no screen anymore and it just stops right there.
Pages: 1 2