Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Will RPi4 ever support Dolby Vision playback?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Now that the RPi4 has proper support for 4K HDR10 and HLG is there any possibility that it will ever support Dolby Vision? DV is being released in a lot of current content and appears to be a format that will be around for a while. I understand that there are licenses involved, so is this a never/impossible thing?
I'd say there will never be an official DV licence.

Now, if people reverse engineer DV, and it turns out to just require submitting a blob of metadata through HDMI info frames synchronised to displayed frames,
(that would be my guess, but as it's a closed spec, I don't know the details) then it might be possible from a hardware perspective.

If someone gets it working on another (non-DV) platform like linux, then the chances are higher. But there's no guarantee.
(2022-03-21, 15:19)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]I'd say there will never be an official DV licence.

Now, if people reverse engineer DV, and it turns out to just require submitting a blob of metadata through HDMI info frames synchronised to displayed frames,
(that would be my guess, but as it's a closed spec, I don't know the details) then it might be possible from a hardware perspective.

If someone gets it working on another (non-DV) platform like linux, then the chances are higher. But there's no guarantee.

Some variants use tunnelling to carry the Metadata RPUs rather than InfoFrames AIUI (there are two different HDMI carriage schemes for DV)

I think there is some proprietary data carried in the HEVC stream that carries the RPUs - and players have to handle these?

Plus there are so many versions of DV to cope with (HDR10/HDR10+ YCbCr Base Layer + DV Enhancement Layer + DV RPUs as used by Blu-rays, HLG YCbCr Base Layer + DV Enhancement Layer (?) + DV RPUs as generated by iPhones, Single layer ICtCp - not YCbCr - DV with RPUs etc. as used by streaming services?)

It's all very proprietary...
Sorry to dig up this old thread, but PGenerator running on a RPi4 is able to put TVs into Dolby Vision modes, send / use DV metadata and display test patterns for calibration purposes.
Unfortunately, while the base version of PGenerator is open source, the variant supporting Dolby Vision is not.

But I thought this might be interesting for you. If there is a real interest from Team Kodi to implement DV, there would be a possibility to contact the PGenerator team and get the needed info for an implementation.
that's awesome!  (I have other uses for PGenerator...)