Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Thinking of picking up a odroid n2+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I keep seeing people mention it here. I'm currently using a rpi4 4gb as my kodi device. It's mostly fine I just want to use that for more web server duties. I can't find any more rpi's because of electronic shortage I guess. 

So what are the downsides of the n2+? I'm worried more about privacy so that is why I don't want a nvidia shield because I don't want a bunch of closed source spyware. Maybe If it was running lineage os I would consider it. 

All the pieces for a fully assembled n2+ on hard kernel seems to be about 150$ with remote, case, fan, 64gb emmc chip, emmc chip flasher. I don't like that those emmc chips seem like they would only work on the n2+. 

Any worries or downsides? for that price is there anything equal to it?
If you plan to use N2+ mainly for Kodi, then you can drop the fan from your list; and 32GB eMMC will be more than enough even if you plan to run Kodi on Android rather than on CoreElec.
(2022-04-11, 21:58)calev Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like that those emmc chips seem like they would only work on the n2+. 
Where else do they need to work for you? I'm sure there are eMM2 readers available.

(2022-04-11, 21:58)calev Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want a nvidia shield because I don't want a bunch of closed source spyware.
So software on a Nvidia Shield and/or Android 11 is spyware. Mkay. Thanks, I guess.
But I take it then you also do not have a mobile phone? That thing keeping track of where you are on this planet 24/7 ? Just wondering, that's all.
(2022-04-12, 07:54)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Where else do they need to work for you? I'm sure there are eMM2 readers available.

I'm worried when the n2 is discontinued and the memory chip breaks I won't be able to buy a replacement. It looks like a proprietary connector.

(2022-04-12, 07:54)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]So software on a Nvidia Shield and/or Android 11 is spyware. Mkay. Thanks, I guess.
But I take it then you also do not have a mobile phone? That thing keeping track of where you are on this planet 24/7 ? Just wondering, that's all.

I use two phones one a degoogled one plus 6 phone with /e/ as the os (a lineage os fork). It only uses open source software. Zero phone home calls to google. and 2 a pinephone that runs Manjaro.
(2022-04-12, 15:52)calev Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-04-12, 07:54)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Where else do they need to work for you? I'm sure there are eMM2 readers available.

I'm worried when the n2 is discontinued and the memory chip breaks I won't be able to buy a replacement. It looks like a proprietary connector.

I think Hardkernel has used the same connector across multiple generations of ODroids for eMMC. Pretty certain the various C-series and N-series have used the same connector and have a degree of mutual compatibility.

You can also use uSD cards in the N2/N2+.
Having recently purchased one of these running with a special Java menu enabled build of coreelec I can safely say it’s the best movie/tv show box I have ever had especially over windows and Linux
So I went ahead and purchased a n2+, power supply, and case from amazon. Shipping was insane from hardkernel and their website didn't work anyway. (wouldn't let me login). I hope I can get my hands on a emmc module one day if anyone else knows a different place to buy it reachable in the US. I also bought a X96 MAX Plus 4GB 64GB and am gonna put coreelec on that and see which one runs better. That one is gonna take a long time to get here. 

I'll let everyone here know how I feel about them. Because why not.
(2022-04-30, 03:41)calev Wrote: [ -> ]I hope I can get my hands on a emmc module one day if anyone else knows a different place to buy it reachable in the US.

Try this one, bought one recently from them.
(2022-04-30, 10:49)Sholander Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-04-30, 03:41)calev Wrote: [ -> ]I hope I can get my hands on a emmc module one day if anyone else knows a different place to buy it reachable in the US.

Try this one, bought one recently from them.
Do I need the emmc reader? or can I flash it by booting from a sd card?
I bought a red dot from Ameridroid with writer originally and recently bought two more to split shipping cost.  I guess the same could be said for the emmc writer with a card.

Now I have my basic CE which is fantastic and can play with LE (it's still rough) and various flavours of Android.  Before I would be backing up and restoring CE to try new things.

Martin
(2022-04-30, 14:10)calev Wrote: [ -> ]Do I need the emmc reader? or can I flash it by booting from a sd card?

It's not needed, but it makes life easier. Alternate method, flashing from uSD card works (only ?) with CoreElec; don't know if other OS-es can be transferred that way.
I'm just waiting for them to get in the 64 bit version.
So I got my n2+ in the mail. Have corelec on one sd card. Man that thing is fast and way better than a rpi4 at video quality. (I keep getting green flashes on pi4). I wanted to try android so I have a android image. The one hardkernel made, android 9. Kodi decodes 4k content fine but only displays 1080P. Anyone know how to get 4k output of the n2+ while in android? Would be nice to have the option of a web browser in android.
(2022-05-06, 04:35)calev Wrote: [ -> ]The one hardkernel made, android 9. Kodi decodes 4k content fine but only displays 1080P. Anyone know how to get 4k output of the n2+ while in android? Would be nice to have the option of a web browser in android.

If you didn't already, try to get answers here.