Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is the SMB client built into Kodi just... Slow? [Steam Deck]
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All of my Kodi setups also do gaming via the Steam addon, so they all run Windows.  Upon getting my Steam Deck however, this changed and there's now one Linux build in the mix.  Every machine is reading off SMB shares in an UnRAID server. This is where I hit a problem with remultiplexed UHD BDs and that was that Kodi on Steam Deck could not keep it's own cache filled and would eventually stutter as it couldn't access the file fast enough to even play it back.

It's not a wifi issue, the Steam Deck readily hits around 600mbps on other applications, the Wifi is great.  The only 'fix' I determined was to force Kodi's own SMB client to only use SMBv1, that brought the throughput up from about 5.5MB/s to about 9.5MB/s, this is enough bandwidth to keep the cache filling and eventually fill it.  ...However it still does so slowly despite a 'readfactor' value of 200.

So I just wanted to ask if the SMB client that's built into all non-Windows builds just has poor throughput or if my 'fix' is coincidental.