Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Timeshift for multiple channels on TVH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If I understand correctly the local timeshift starts to record once tuned to a channel. Instead of starting when tuned, is there any existing s/w we could run on either the Kodi device or the TVH server that complements this add-on to always timeshift those channels in the background so when tuned in there is already a rewind buffer of say 4 hours?

We have TVH running at home and I ideally the rewind buffer could be added for our favourite channels. So when we tune into those channels we immediately can rewind up to 4 hours.

If there isn't any existing s/w, could it be implemented by streaming the channel on the TVH box direct to a .TS file and then sticking a webserver in front of that file to serve out to the IPTV simple client add-on?
This is supported server side but only via the pvr.hts addon. Not using iptvsimple.
Not exactly. Tvh and the Kodi addon support server side timeshift, yes. But the feature as requested here does not exist.
If I understand the feature request correct, the OP wants to specify a number of channels and a time shift buffer size for these channels. The channels shall continuously be tuned (in the background) so if the user tunes one of those channels, it will have the ts length of the given timeframe.

Interesting feature. Rather stressing for the tuner hardware, the RAM/SSD used to store the data. I’m afraid for this you need real server (certified) hardware. And of course number of channels is limited by the number of available tuners.

The feature should be implemented best directly in tvheadend. Then, all clients, including pvr.hts would profit fully automatically from this tvh feature. What pvr.hts could do is provide a configuration GUI for this tvh feature, but that would be just convenience, not needed.

BTW: why do you want to use iptvsimple with tvh? Is there any reason for this, compared to pvr.hts which is optimized for using tvheadend?
Not tied to iptvsimple - I was simply reading up on the iptvsimple catchup & timeshift features and got thinking is there a way to do timeshift that is already prefilled so that if you tuned in from any kodi box (we have 3) it would already have the timeshift buffer ready to rewind for those instances when you turn on the TV and missed the start of a programme.

Then I was thinking we tend to only watch 3 or 4 channels so could we do it for those 3 or 4 channels - that would be smart!

We already have multiple tuners and use TVH to recording up to 6 channels at once. It's an i3 intel nuc and it doesn't seem to be taxing the CPU or disk.

@phunkyfish I've not seen the ability to precache timeshift on TVH. I'd welcome if you could explain more how to enable
(2022-05-11, 21:04)djbloc Wrote: [ -> ]Not tied to iptvsimple - I was simply reading up on the iptvsimple catchup & timeshift features and got thinking is there a way to do timeshift that is already prefilled so that if you tuned in from any kodi box (we have 3) it would already have the timeshift buffer ready to rewind for those instances when you turn on the TV and missed the start of a programme.

Then I was thinking we tend to only watch 3 or 4 channels so could we do it for those 3 or 4 channels - that would be smart!

We already have multiple tuners and use TVH to recording up to 6 channels at once. It's an i3 intel nuc and it doesn't seem to be taxing the CPU or disk.

@phunkyfish I've not seen the ability to precache timeshift on TVH. I'd welcome if you could explain more how to enable

As I was trying to explain already: TVH does not have such a feature. @phunkyfish was wrong with what he stated.
Ok, understood. Thanks ksooo

Over the weekend I may have a go to see if I can stimulate TVH to timeshift in the background by streaming from a http client and see if it works with pvr.hts
Anything that tunes a channel will start timeshift if not set to OnDemand. For your purpose I might just set those few channels to record everything and have files persist 1 day. Can have timers back to back each hour or couple hours. Just certain parts of day... What ever you want.
Good ideas - thank you. Will give those some thought.