Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Maximum poster images, and poster sets
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Dear All,

I'm in need for some help with local info, movie sets and poster images.  I searched through the forum, and googled my as off, but can't find a thing related to my problem.

Currently I'm using kodie 19.1.0 Matrix, Aeon Nox Silvo 8.01, local NFO files, Movie Sets, Movie Set Information Folder, and single poster/fanart images in movie folders.

I'm using the MSIF folder for the genre category selection, and as soon as in the genre selection I use the moviename-fanart/poster naming for the individual movies in the set.  These category selections are then added to the favorites option to easily accees their content.

Category genres are created using the local NFO files, and used are documentaries/documentaries entertainment/movies/movies animation/series/series animation.

My problem is with poster images.  I'm sure that I read somewhere in the past year I've been using Kodi, that you could use unlimited posters in the MSIF folder.

The intention was that e.g. in the movies category, I currently have 158 movies, to add all the images for the covers to the MSIF folder as posters, so 158 poster covers.  As soon as you would scroll over the movie category using the remote, the choosen background image for that category would show, and the available movies in the set would be scrolled through by their poster images.  When entering it, each movie in the set would have it's own background/poster named in the folder where it resides using moviename-fanart/poster naming.

I tested this using a few movies, which worked really well for me.  Then though I discovered that there's a limit of 21 posters, meaning poster.jpg and then poster1-20.jpg, which completely destroys my intended way of working.

Now I've found mentioning of "Poster Sets", but for the life of me am not able to figure it out.  It states there can be serveral sets per movie, which would possibly solve my dillema.  Some info suggest the naming/numbering I already use, so poster1-x.  Some info suggests using poster-01-01, where the 1st 01 is the setnumber, and the 2nd the number in the set.  Similar is information found to use poster-1-1 naming.

-Does anyone have any idea, or can kick me in the right direction?
-Can this be solved using the naming I already use, being poster1-x, or is there another way?

Any and all hints/tips are greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any help.
(2022-05-26, 10:15)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using the MSIF folder for the genre category selection
I don't really know what that means.
The MSIF is the Movie Set Information Folder. It can only be used for movie sets... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_set_information_folder It can't be used for Genre's or anything else.

(2022-05-26, 10:15)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]m sure that I read somewhere in the past year I've been using Kodi, that you could use unlimited posters in the MSIF folder.
Well, unlimited is a lot of posters, but for all intents and purposes you can have as many posters as you like. But that does not necessarily mean the skin will be coded to display them all

(2022-05-26, 10:15)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]in the movies category, I currently have 158 movies, to add all the images for the covers to the MSIF folder as posters, so 158 poster covers. 
As in my first comment, you do not store movie posters in the MSIF.
You store all movie related artwork with the movie in the movie folder... https://kodi.wiki/view/Movie_artwork
You store all movie set artwork in the MSIF.

(2022-05-26, 10:15)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]Some info suggest the naming/numbering I already use, so poster1-x.  Some info suggests using poster-01-01, where the 1st 01 is the setnumber, and the 2nd the number in the set.  Similar is information found to use poster-1-1 naming.
I have not come across any of that numbering. Certainly not on this forum nor in the wiki.
There is only one way to number posters and fanart, and that is shown in the image in the Movie Artwork wiki page. MyMovie-poster1.jpg, MyMovie-poster2.jpg

(2022-05-26, 10:15)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]Then though I discovered that there's a limit of 21 posters, meaning poster.jpg and then poster1-20.jpg, which completely destroys my intended way of working.
Yes, Aeon Nox will rotate through 21 posters. I find it unusual that you would have more than that for each movie.
But the code is here... https://github.com/mikesilvo164/Aeon-Nox...ml#L22-L42
Find the equivelant code in your \addon\ folder for the skin and add some more. But I have never needed to try this so I don't know if it will work.

I do think you are doing something wrong, though. I think you are misunderstanding the artwork setup.
@Karellen

Thank you so much for the quick reply, and comments.  Much apreciated.

-I do think you are doing something wrong, though. I think you are misunderstanding the artwork setup.
First of though, YES, I do understand that I use the kodi options in a different way then intended, but that is because I started using local NFO files, and the amount of work it takes makes it easier doing it this way for me, to achieve how I would like it to look.

-The MSIF is the Movie Set Information Folder. It can only be used for movie sets.  It can't be used for Genre's or anything else
I have aLL my movies subdivided in a movies folder.  ALL local NFO files have as movie set info, the same name, being Movies.  Hence when scanning that folder it shows up as a genre called Movies.  Thus a movie set named Movies, which is added to favorites for easy access.

-But that does not necessarily mean the skin will be coded to display them all
That is something I hadn't counted upon.  I thought that it would automatically run through all the numbered posters in the folder.

-As in my first comment, you do not store movie posters in the MSIF.
-You store all movie set artwork in the MSIF.
As I did, because the folder with all my movies is scanned as a movie set through the information of the local NFO files.

-I have not come across any of that numbering. Certainly not on this forum nor in the wiki.
Something called character posters mentioned this for tv shows.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2870413
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2870421
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345299
(highest character poster count ever saw was "Avengers: Endgame (2019)" with 32 uniform character posters)
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2925866
(For example when your movies are in folders and your main poster is simple called poster.jpg, then use for character posters "poster1.jpg", "poster2.jpg" and so on -> without moviefilename prefix. If your movies are in folders and your main poster is called Moviefilename-poster.jpg, then use for character posters poster "Moviefilename-poster1.jpg" and so on -> with moviefilename prefix.)

-Yes, Aeon Nox will rotate through 21 posters.
-Find the equivelant code in your \addon\ folder for the skin and add some more.
-But I have never needed to try this so I don't know if it will work.
Thanks for that good tip, but it unfortunately doesn't work.  Tried a small increase to 30, but no go unfortunately.  Just for info, I changed this xml file, then removed the current videos and textures database, and also all folders in the thumbnail fikder.  Then added the intended folder again by scanning it as a movie set

Maybe the way I'm trying to use Kodi and it's option in combination with the Aeon Nox Silvo skin is not as intended, strange, of different.  But so far it works for me, and makes it easier to create the NFO files in combination with a macro scanning the different folders.

My only issue at the moment are those darn't poster images, the limitation of 21.  If that's solved for me, then I'm a happy camper using Kodi Aeon Nox Silvo.

Again, thanks for the quick reply and comments.
Dear All,

I would greatly appreciate any hints or tips for this.

Been re-reading the wiki's again, and I would guess what I'd like to achieve should be possible using character poster sets.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Artwork_types#pos...oster_sets

It literally states that indeed for there to be the limit of 20 posters, so this is probably hardcoded in Kodi itself, not related to the skin used.  The skin seems only to implement the feature.  Although I'm almost sure that in the past year I saw somewhere that one could have as many posters as wanted, but can't find that piece of info anymore in my saved bookmarks for Kodi.

However, it also states:

Each poster in the set highlights one character and there can be up to 20 poster per movie. There can be multiple sets per movie, each set differing in style

I'm hoping the last part is gonna solve my problem, but can't for the live of me get this to work.

This informaiton refers to several forum pages, but so far I was not able to find any info, nor instructions, on how to use multiple character poster sets per movie.

Thanks for any hints or tips on this subject.  I apologise in advance if I overlooked the key info here. but I've been reading and re-reading so much now.
(2022-05-26, 12:50)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]Something called character posters mentioned this for tv shows.
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2870413
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2870421
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345299
(highest character poster count ever saw was "Avengers: Endgame (2019)" with 32 uniform character posters)
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2925866
(For example when your movies are in folders and your main poster is simple called poster.jpg, then use for character posters "poster1.jpg", "poster2.jpg" and so on -> without moviefilename prefix. If your movies are in folders and your main poster is called Moviefilename-poster.jpg, then use for character posters poster "Moviefilename-poster1.jpg" and so on -> with moviefilename prefix.)
I think you have confused the information contained in that thread.
That thread contains poster contributions from the Kodi community. We welcome their contributions as those posters can be used in Kodi.
The discussion about poster numbering is related to their own filing system to keep their sets, and the images within the sets, in correct order. The discussion took place as they wanted to create a 3rd party database to store and make available the posters. That never went ahead.
That numbering has nothing to do with what Kodi uses.

The wiki link you provided on character poster sets, is simply describing what character sets are. It is not intended to imply that you can use numerous sets of posters in Kodi.

As you pointed out, the hard limit is 21 posters in Kodi core. I have not checked this, but it sounds right. If this is correct, then there is no simple way around it.
I imagine it might be possible to modify the skin code to read the posters directly from the file system, rather than from the database, but I would have no clue how to do that. You would need to ask a skinner.

(2022-05-28, 09:37)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]Each poster in the set highlights one character and there can be up to 20 poster per movie. There can be multiple sets per movie, each set differing in style
Is simply describing what is available in character sets. It does not imply that you can use multiple sets in Kodi. In fact Kodi has no recognition of "poster sets". It is simply looking for posterx.jpg
Thanks Karellen,

For the patience, and information.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to abandon this way of trying to achieve what I'd like to see.  It's a pitty, because the macros used to create all nfo files are relatively easy to create for a non-coder like me.  I thought it would look nice if the movi eset containing the current 158 movies, when scrolled over using the remote, would start displaying the movie posters contained in the set in order.  You know, just another way of bling.
(2022-05-28, 13:20)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]I thought it would look nice if the movi eset containing the current 158 movies
What movie set has 158 movies?
I am still trying to figure out your setup, and wondering if there is another way to do what you want.

(2022-05-28, 13:20)droopy928gt Wrote: [ -> ]when scrolled over using the remote, would start displaying the movie posters contained in the set in order
Hmmm, when you scroll over the movies, movie artwork should always display.
You need to provide some screenshots of your movie folder so I can see all the files in the folder. Also screenshot of Kodi where the artwork is missing.
(2022-05-26, 11:09)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]I find it unusual that you would have more than that for each movie.

Rofl
I can't stop laughing knowing that someone has 21 posters for each movie. Insane than me, how!