Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Synology DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 and Kodi Remote don't play nicely
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have been happily streaming music from my Synology DS420+ NAS and using the Kodi app to control it. I updated to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3 a few days ago, and when I try to stream music Kodi says:
  ERROR
The network connection was lost
METHOD - Files.GetDirectory
PARAMETERS - {directory="upnp://0011...";media=music;sort={ignorearticle=0};method=label;order=ascending;};}

I am running Kodi 19.4, and the remote control app is running on iOS 15.41. I was connected to the NAS on my laptop the entire time that I was trying to stream music, so the network connection isn't 'lost', but it sure isn't working for Kodi.

Has anyone else seen this? Any troubleshooting suggestions?
This looks like the App cannot connect to the Kodi server on your NAS anymore. The message refers to "Files.GetDirectory", which let's me guess you are somewhere in the Music/Movies/Videos/TV-Show menu. Most likely the Kodi server got a new IP address after the NAS update and the App cannot connect to the old IP address anymore. In this case let the App search for the Kodi server again (press "Find Kodi" in the App's server connection menu, then save and connect to it).

If this does not work, please check if calling http://your-NAS-ip:8080/ in a browser opens the Kodi Web-remote. If this does not work as well, either Kodi server is not running at all, or the Kodi server lost its configuration to support remote control.

I hope this helps.
1) The NAS didn't get a new IP address.
2) Yes, I am trying to get a directory of music.
3) I am not running the Kodi server on the NAS; I am running stock Synology DSM with its built-in media server.

So good thoughts; thank you, but no solution there. The question I have at the moment is "How do I determine which side has the bug?" Can someone say authoritatively that that query is always valid? Can the Kodi remote generate logs that would be useful? Does anyone know of settings that I could change that might help?
Ok, seems I did initially not fully understand your setup. What I now understood: You have a NAS running as a UPNP server. You have a Kodi Remote App which needs to be connected to a Kodi server. Obviously the Kodi remote is connected to this server, and it also is re-connecting to the server when the App is restarted. Correct? Your Kodi server plays files from your NAS-provided UPNP.

I tried the following: Configure first Kodi server instance to provide its database via UPNP, let a second Kodi server instance use this as input. Connect the Kodi remote App to the second instance and enter file browsing.

With the first attempt to open the folder, I got exactly your error message as well. Then I entered the folder a second time and all content showed up, and I was able to play a music track. Since then any new attempt -- even with a different instance of the App, or after adding UPNP movies source to the Kodi server -- worked as expected.

Can you access your files via UPNP
- when using your Kodi server's UI directly?
- when using the web UI via http://your-Kodi-server-ip:8080/

Did you try to re-add the UPNP server's content as a source to your Kodi server?
please check Kodi logs, maybe that'd reveal something (JSON-RPC component)
Quote:I updated to DSM 7.0.1-42218 Update 3
please check release notes of all versions starting from what you had previously and up to this one, maybe they contain a hint
'Can you access your files via UPNP
- when using your Kodi server's UI directly?'

I don't normally have a display connected to my Kodi server, so I connected one and saw that Kodi was ready to download and install 19.4 - so I did that, then rebooted and was able to play music both from the Kodi server's UI and from the Kodi remote. Maybe I had to reboot Kodi after installing the Synology update?

Thank you for the suggestions; it is nice to have it working again!
(2022-06-12, 02:13)QA_manager Wrote: [ -> ]Thank you for the suggestions; it is nice to have it working again!

Thanks for letting us know. Smile