Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi weird UI behavior on a PC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
in Movies section there are "recently added movies" down but I can see only half of the thumbnails and cannot use mouse wheel to scroll down to see it whole with titles! Why is that? I can only go to categories and there scrolling works fine. EDIT: actually there a VERY specific spot where I can have a cursor and be able to scroll down using mouse wheel.
In Pictures section if I have my mouse more then one third of length from the left side of the screen it starts quickly scrolling to the right! It stops only when I move mouse more to the left, but then the side menu shows. This is really weird because when I open any folder it starts scrolling unless I quickly move the mouse to the left. If I have the mouse in the exact position where it doesn't scroll I can use mouse wheel to scroll left and right.
Check in settings>system>input>your devices and peripherals. Can you navigate perfectly with the arrow keys? A screen shot might be a bit more illuminating and a proper log with debug turned on might show what is up.

To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Sorry, I am not sure how debugging can be of any use related to this? There are no error messages happening. Can you can just try doing the same things I described and tell me if it behaves different for you or this behavior is just normal? In peripherals there is nothing.
I can make a video of it if it's difficult to imagine...
(2022-06-02, 21:15)McVitas Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry, I am not sure how debugging can be of any use related to this?

There is a lot more going on "under water" than can be seen on-screen. It's also to make sure that there is no 'outside interference' in anyway.

FYI, Kodi's interface was not designed for use with a mouse. Using a (TV) remote or keyboard with cursor keys will make navigating the Kodi UI much more efficient.
It's possible that the mouse pointer position is not 100% correctly translated to the Estuary skin, resulting in a 'mouse problem', I seem to recall a similar problem from way back when.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/xkob9hcS8NcfzSQa9
I want the product to be better and I know many people use it on a PC, so take this as a suggestion to look at and possibly improve
(2022-06-03, 13:08)McVitas Wrote: [ -> ]I want the product to be better
Thank-you for the video showing your expectations. My answer is going to be echoing "Klojum" observations, and noting the input device is critical to smooth operation. Some skins utilize the mouse as the main input device, and operate in a fashion that would please your expectations; and in that statement is a recommendation to explore 'other' skins or perhaps consider a new input device such as a wireless keyboard or remote recommended in our hardware section of the forum.

Looking at the 'picture' capabilities section of your video, I noticed very large folders (thousands of files) which even the base o/s (windows) would take time to collect meta-data. Suggest you use multiple sub folders to break down the mass of images in smaller containers. Be aware that Kodi is caching each image in it's own thumbnail collection and at one point you are dealing with a massive file structure and scanning fresh is the way of ensuring updates; there may be better software alternatives. My thoughts on the image section of Kodi is that there is need for improvement, it's sufficient for my personal needs, family slideshows and dedicated areas, but knowing that Kodi is open source everyone has an open invitation to add/improve the software, the team welcomes improvements to the code base even if most interests are video. There may be picture/image add-ons already that address these issues which I haven't had opportunity to explore.

Direct feature requests are handled in 'you guessed it', Feature Requests and a posting in that section might stir-up some thoughts with others that have other working solutions or even better, interest those who can address this with real code. Shall I move this thread from 'Windows Support' to 'Feature Requests'?
ok move it there.