Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LINUX/MAC/WINDOWS] Changing "userdata" folder location?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
First off, I've been with XBMC for 'the box' since XBMP. Just less than a month ago, I learned XBMC was available for windows. After multiple iterations of HTPC software from myHTPC->Meedio->MediaPortal->MCE, I can say this is the HTPC software I have been longing for. Cheers to the devs. NodNod

Anyway, my issue at hand. I have a dedicated htpc running XBMC of course with default installation. I know XBMC places the users profile in the users data folder ("C:\Docs & Settings\...\XBMC\Userdata\..."). Since my C:\ parition is there a way I can specify in XBMC where to look for the Userdata folder instead of it being in the default location. I want to move it to another partition.

Thanks in advance.
Sorry for send post. Cant edit. Meant to say my C:\ partition is small... . As you can guess, Im running:

- Asus P5B-MX mATX
- Intel E2160 1.8GHZ
- ATI Radeon x1550 PCI-E
- Windows XP SP3
- XBMC nightly compiled
Im also looking for the same feature, im using ubuntu and use a compact flash card for a harddrive for OS.
Not launching the XBMC.exe executable with the "-p" parameter switch will make XBMC write the userdate to XBMC installation folder.

So edit the target in the shortcut (XBMC.cut in Windows Start Menu under Programs), from:
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs -p
to
"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -fs

Any other location and you will have to edit the source code.

PS! "-p" stands for 'profile', meaning userdata.
You can change the path of the master profile in system/profile.xml.
Gamester17 Wrote:launching the XBMC.exe executable with the "-p" parameter switch will make XBMC write the userdata to XBMC installation folder. ... PS! "-p" stands for 'profile', meaning userdata.

Not meaning to be a pedantic twit -- thinking more of others who might be googling the topic -- but I believe the '-p' signifies 'portable'. (per link)

I don't know if custom userdata locations (beyond 'portable' mode) has been added since this thread was created (in 2008!), but an alternative that I use is linking (symbolic/hard/whatever it takes) from my custom data location back to XBMC's default userdata location. To this end, this How-To Geek article provides a handy overview on linking, along with a very handy utility for making the process much easier on Windows platforms.
Another alternative is moving your ENTIRE Documents and Settings to another location.
IMHO this makes much more sense on a small setup as it will save all %APPDATA% contents in case of reinstall.