Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Looking for suggestions - rebuilding my HTPC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I am looking for some insight and advice.  I am a cord-cutter of almost 4 years now.  I have been using the Amazon Fire Stick 4k since that time - and I enjoy it, but some of the things that I try and use require me to still be registered for TV (basic) service with the cable company (namely the local broadcast stations).  I would like to cut that final cord...and looking at options.  I had a PLEX Server, and was not fully happy with it - but still pay annually so that I stream from there on the AFS.  Been reading some articles on better options and found KODI (I had an install of XBMC a few years back and got frustrated with it.  

I built an HTPC (Plex Server) box with the following specs and hoping for some advice.  It has a Core i5-9400 (2.9 GHz) CPU, 16GB RAM, Samsung Evo 970 nVme SSD (as boot) and 2x4TB HDD where my movies and music are stored.  

I had seen this article/video for putting KODI on the FireStick - and I tried it but found it super slow and sometimes unresponsive with the Fire Remote.  [link removed by moderator]  

My questions are - turning this box back into a HTPC only box (preferably not an application running on Windows).  Is there an option in the KODI world for this?  Meaning the box boots, and goes directly into KODI - not boot Windows, watch for and warn about updates, etc., then goes into KODI.  A pure KODI box (so to speak).  Of Course, I would need to make sure that I convery my HDDs with the movies and music (most likely) as they were formatted with GPT and Windows exFat.  I do have a NAS and 2 EXT HDDs that I can move them to if needed.  

I also would like to find a good controller, that might (at some point) allow me to play some of the old ATARI and COMMODORE-64 Games I used to love...but can also use it for HTPC control and maybe a keyboard?   

Also - does KODI allow for (like the Fire Stick) add-ons?  As I have Disney+, HBOMAX, HULU, Peacock and CW (as well as PLEX) subscriptions - so that I can keep using them?  I also have a HomeAssistant installation in my home.  

Open to all suggestions.
Please don't provide links to that website here (I have edited your post) as it is full guides on how to use Kodi for piracy, which we don't support here.

For clarification please refer to the Forum Rules and piracy policy.

Thanks.
(2022-07-04, 17:04)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ](preferably not an application running on Windows).

LibreELEC comes to mind. It's only Kodi running on plain vanilla Linux with only the necessary bells and whistles.
LibreELEC also supports Docker, so HomeAssistent is possibly also an option.
apologies - did not realize that was some sort of 'hack'.
Not sure that that is -  I will have to investigate.

As for HomeAssistant, it is running on its own HP t620 ThinClient, was more interested in some sort of integration.
(2022-07-04, 18:20)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure that that is -  I will have to investigate.

LibreELEC can be run from & installed onto a simple USB stick, 4-8 GB should be already fine. That way you can also testrun it without messing up the current harddisk/ssd.
(2022-07-04, 18:26)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-07-04, 18:20)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure that that is -  I will have to investigate.

LibreELEC can be run from & installed onto a simple USB stick, 4-8 GB should be already fine. That way you can also testrun it without messing up the current harddisk/ssd.
I have just downloaded it - and creating a USB now.  

What about the other questions?  A controller?  The last time I had this setup - I was using a wireless keyboard (kinda small with a touch pad on it) - it was kinda irritating as it required two hands to hold and use it.
(2022-07-04, 18:19)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]apologies - did not realize that was some sort of 'hack'.

No problem. For clarity, guides for sideloading Kodi on fire devices are absolutely fine but that site in particular is not one we want to advertise as they are notorious for piracy tutorials.
(2022-07-04, 18:36)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]What about the other questions?  A controller? 

I'm using the TV's remote via CEC myself. That does require an additional USB/HDMI dongle.
Besides that, a couple of controllers are supported, as well as remote apps on Android and iOS.
(2022-07-04, 18:49)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-07-04, 18:36)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]What about the other questions?  A controller? 

I'm using the TV's remote via CEC myself. That does require an additional USB/HDMI dongle.
Besides that, a couple of controllers are supported, as well as remote apps on Android and iOS.
Thanks - I will do some research.

What about Add-ons for things like HBOMAX, HULU, DISNEY+, AMAZON PRIME, etc.  Do they exist?
OK --  Got the LibreELEC installed to the internal nVme drive -- boots up just fine.  

I enabled the SSH - but cannot seem to connect to it (yes, I changed the PW).  Also where are all the repositories.  I mean for goodness sake, I cannot even setup the WEATHER.

Also -is there a way to change the 'Queen's English' spellings to USA?  (Favourites and Colours) I set everything I could find to US.
ReallyHuh?  Nothing?   No-one has figured out how to change   FAVOURITES to FAVORTES and COLOUR to COLOR Huh
(2022-07-05, 21:45)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]Also where are all the repositories.  I mean for goodness sake, I cannot even setup the WEATHER.
When you have a working internet connection, finding the add-ons in Kodi's official repository should be easy.

(2022-07-05, 21:45)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]I mean for goodness sake, I cannot even setup the WEATHER.
Selecting a weather info provider is done via the Weather service section. If you cannot see/get other weather providers, then your network/internet connection has a hiccup.

(2022-07-05, 21:45)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]Also -is there a way to change the 'Queen's English' spellings to USA?  (Favourites and Colours) I set everything I could find to US.
There is a English (US) entry in the languages list in Kodi. "Favourites" and "Colours" in config/settings files are likely to be hardcoded.

(2022-07-08, 20:04)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]ReallyHuh?  Nothing? 
No one is here 24/7. We're all simple volunteers here.
@Klojum 

I did discover that the NETWORK connection was down - which I found strange.  When I checked - I found that I had apparently unplugged the eth cable from the back of the box.  I was able to get the Weather working. 

I do understand that you guys are not here 24/7 - apologies if I came across gruff.  I get so frustrated sometimes that many of these products force you to 'community' forums - as there is no manual, and apparently none of the 'developers' "check-in" here.  

I may have to post another note some place else - I really want to change these 'Queen's English' menu items.  IMHO - when I chose US as my region, it should have done it for me.
(2022-07-11, 14:34)bearhntr Wrote: [ -> ]I really want to change these 'Queen's English' menu items.  IMHO - when I chose US as my region, it should have done it for me.

Changing the region to US only applies to time zone settings and format. For language translations you'll need to set Settings / Interface / Regional / Language to English (US).

FYI, here is a sample of the Weblate content showing the English (US) translations:
Pages: 1 2