Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Dependency issues installing kodi on raspberry pi
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When attempting to install kodi on my raspberry pi 4, I see the following errors

text:

pi4 ~ ▸ sudo apt-get install kodi

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
kodi : Depends: kodi-bin (>= 2:18.7-1~buster) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: kodi-bin (< 2:18.7-1~buster.1~) but it is not going to be installed
Depends: python-bluez but it is not installable or
python-lightblue but it is not installable
Depends: python-imaging but it is not installable or
python-pil but it is not installable
Depends: python-simplejson but it is not installable
Depends: libnfs12 but it is not installable or
libnfs8 but it is not installable or
libnfs4 but it is not installable or
libnfs1 but it is not installable
Recommends: libva-intel-vaapi-driver but it is not installable
Recommends: libva1 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

I was having this issue while on Buster version of Raspbian. I tried updating to Bullseye to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated
I run LibreElec on all of my Raspberry 3s and 4s. No issues.

Jeff
A Kodi player is one of many functions this raspberry pi is used for, I cannot install an entire OS just for Kodi
(2022-07-10, 01:21)hankieshahs Wrote: [ -> ]When attempting to install kodi on my raspberry pi 4, I see the following errors

You are using an outdated OS to begin with, as RPiOS Buster has been superseded by RPiOS Bullseye
Buster installs Kodi 18.7 by default, Bullseye installs Kodi v19.x.

If you are using a newly installed OS, then all the dependency problems are quite weird, perhpas @basilgello can have a peek.
The fact that 'libva-intel-vaapi-driver' is mentioned on a RPi4 is also a bit strange to me.

(2022-07-10, 01:21)hankieshahs Wrote: [ -> ]I tried updating to Bullseye to no avail. Any advice would be appreciated
Searching how to solve a problematic OS install takes usually too much time to begin with. If you are going to Bullseye anyway, do a full fresh install. BTW, LibreELEC is a faster install altogether when you only need Kodi on your RPi4.
(2022-07-10, 07:07)hankieshahs Wrote: [ -> ]A Kodi player is one of many functions this raspberry pi is used for, I cannot install an entire OS just for Kodi

Fair point.  That wasn't quite clear to me in your original ask.  Many folks do dedicated their Raspberry Pis for media playback due to their low cost/value and often being HDMI connected to a TV, which can be somewhat limiting for certain other use cases.  Sorry for my assumption.

Jeff
(2022-07-10, 07:31)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ] If you are going to Bullseye anyway, do a full fresh install. BTW, LibreELEC is a faster install altogether when you only need Kodi on your RPi4.

I'd agree. My Pi4/4GB is running Kodi 19.4 on Raspberry Pi OS/Bullseye, Desktop is RP OS and launch Kodi from there when I need it with no problems or missing dependencies. Clean install sounds the answer to me
(2022-07-10, 07:31)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]Searching how to solve a problematic OS install takes usually too much time to begin with. If you are going to Bullseye anyway, do a full fresh install.
In my case, setting up all other projects I use the pi for again would take too much time, so I would much prefer to troubleshoot what's wrong on my current install. I don't seem to have any indications the OS install is problematic other than the error installing Kodi. Can anyone point me in the right direction for troubleshooting this?

How does apt select the version to use? Can I manually indicate v19 should be installed?
Do others have the dependencies installed on their system?
Can someone please share their output when running "sudo apt-cache depends kodi"

I'm curious if I am seeing different dependencies than everyone else
(2022-07-10, 19:46)hankieshahs Wrote: [ -> ]In my case, setting up all other projects I use the pi for again would take too much time
Not really on-topic, but I tend to write bash scripts and use aliases as much as possible for setting up a new Linux machine. So PCs are set up and available super fast. Yeah, I'm guess I'm lazy that way :-)

(2022-07-10, 19:54)hankieshahs Wrote: [ -> ]Can someone please share their output when running "sudo apt-cache depends kodi"
I don't currently have a RPi setup with Buster/Bullseye running. Someone else will have to step in.
output of "apt-cache depends" on bullseye:
http://sprunge.us/EZD2hw

To fix this I'd recommend a clean install of RPiOS bullseye.
Update: I have solved the issue. The guide I followed to update from buster to bullseye was incomplete.

There are .list files in /etc/apt/sources.list.d/ which still referenced "Buster" and needed to be updated to reference "Bullseye". Once I updated these, I was able to install kodi

See this thread over in the raspberry pi forums which helped
Thread marked solved.