Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: how are you creating your media files??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I know this question gets asked alot in may different forums, but I was wondering what format and programs everyone is using to create DVD rips or HD rips (blu-ray)?

For example, I used to use autoGk to take my dvd rips and encode them to Xvid (avi) files. Lately, because I wanted to use Vista Media Center as my interface, I was using TMPGEnc and converting everything into an WMV file? What process do you find works best for XBMC on linux? I want to get starting building my system, but if I have the wrong media, i want to start encoding correctly now. Btw, as of right now my main focus is ripping dvds to a decent quality format around 2 gigs.
XBMC for Linux you say? Xvid or H.264 are then the best formats, (it depends of you want compability with other older players or not), but it also depends on which type and how fast processor (CPU) you have?
h.264 is the way to go.
For DVD I am now converting to ISO format using DVDShrink with AnyDVD-HD underneath. I compress only the extras and menus, feature is untouched.

For HD video, HD-DVD and BD\BD+, I rip with eac3to, compress with meGUI driving X264, into a MKV container. I rip audio as 5.1 AC3 usually since 7.x etc. cannot be done except via HDMI and my receiver will not handle it anyway. I do not do subtitles etc. The Doom9 forum and Slysoft forums have some threads I've posted my methods to. My sig has some links I think.Cool