Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Is there a quick way to update list of transponders (MUXes) in TVHeadend?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

I am sorry to ask this question here but the tvheadend.org forum is practically dead and maybe some TVHeadend users on here could help?

With enigma2 images (e.g: OpenATV) you can download a file (satellites.xml) at http://satellites-xml.org/ with an up to date list of all Transponders on e.g: Astra 28.2E. You put that file in /etc/enigma2 and do a scan and you can get channels on all the latest transponder frequencies.

I just installed TVHeadend and chose the Astra 28.2E "predefined MUX list" but when I scan lots of the scans fail because the frequencies are wrong. I can manually update those frequencies but that's LOADS of work.

I have installed TVHeadend on Ubuntu Server and in these folders there are files that seem relevant:
xml:
/usr/share/tvheadend/data/conf/
(fastscan and satellites)
xml:
/usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/
(contains files with transponder frequencies for different satellite positions but making changes to these files doesn't seem to affect the list of transponders that TVH finds and tries to scan)

I don't think changing files in those directories makes any difference, it seems that maybe the list of transponders TVHeadend has in its "Pre-defined MUX lists" is baked in to the binary and not configurable with a settings file e.g: a satellites.xml file.

Is this true or how could I do what I need?

Any help much appreciated,

Flex
You can build TVH yourself and choose what you want included in the deb package.

In the meantime use the preconfigured muxes as offered and delete the lot with the exception of one active mux. Then choose the New or Changed muxes and run the scan again. All that will show up now are active muxes.

Yes it appears that any of the active developers on the tvheadend.org have jumped ship and it doesn’t appear to be moderated anymore.
@petediscrete

Thanks for your comment.

Your suggestion to delete all MUXes and leave just one active MUX is probably the easiest solution. If correct it's probably the most sensible way to get a list of active MUXes for the satellite you need. I think that method works because having just one active MUX (that works and can tune in services/channels) also brings on all the other muxes you could possibly need on that given satellite. At least that is my understanding, but I might be wrong because I never tried that method.

In my case I went about this a long way. The solution I found is basically all in this tvheadend thread.

In short... the equivalent to an enigma2 satellite.xml file is to be found in /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/ on the machine where tvheadend (TVH) is installed (assuming it is installed on a linux machine)
In my case I needed a file with all the Astra 28.2E transponders... in TVHs case there are THREE such files... Astra-2F-28.2E, Astra-2G-28.2E and Astra-28.2E.
You select these files in the TVH GUI Configuration screen when setting up a Network. There must be a bug in my version of TVH because I cannot select all three of those files and it is not clear which file I am selecting when I click on one that appears to contain transponders for 28.2E.

So yes you could delete those three files (make a backup of them first) and then make just one file called: Astra-28.2E
In that file list out all the latest transponders that you need in the format in that file.... you could get a list from Lyngsat or KingOfSat or else an up to date list of those files in /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/ is available at git.linuxtv.org. Although I don't know how up to date those files are.

That TVH thread also explains how you can make your OWN type of satellites.xml file using your own satellite dish at home. TVH calls it an "initial scan list". That scan list could then go in /usr/share/dvb/dvb-s/ and you select it from the config screen in TVH GUI.

Hope that helps someone.

Flex
The real strength is building your own version of TVH. It really is not that difficult and you get the final decision on what is included in the package.

All you need to determine is what processor you’re building for, target that build and the rest is fairly straightforward.

I’m not familiar with Enigma2 but I imagine it is one of the ARM family of processors.
Interesting.

My coding skills are limited but would like to try. I was going to ask if you would do a guide for that but someone just did on the TVH forum.

In my case I am running it on a Raspberry Pi 4 with Ubuntu server 22.04. So fingers crossed for me!

Flex
That was me. I was sick of reading outdated build instructions filled with clutter and irrelevant comments.

You don’t need to be a coder to build your own version of TVH. What you do need is to work your way through what is relevant and use those bits. To be honest the autobuild script does all the work. It even tells you what dependencies you are missing so you can install them yourself.

Once built one simple command installs your self built package with what you want in it.