Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Launching the Skip 1s Universal remote by Flirc
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Just wanted to let you all know that Flirc is launching a new universal remote designed to work with the USB Flirc, but also all the other devices in your home. Goal is to replace the now defunct Harmony remotes out there. Feel free to check out the page or ask questions. I'll try to answer as many as I can!

https://flirc.tv/products/skip1s-remote?...9094729960

http://forum.flirc.tv/index.php?/topic/8...g-skip-1s/

Saw this advertised on their site last week, but the link wasn't working at the time I tried.
The rubber buttons on my MCE remote are really looking a bit tired these days, so maybe its time for an upgrade!  Smile
I wonder if you will be able open Kodi on Windows with this remote? That is something I've never been able to achieve.
Thanks for posting.  I am definitely interested.  Just last week I was starting to look for alternatives for my Harmony 650 remotes, which have served me well for years.  I know they will eventually go bad.  I'll be a watching this product develop and may preorder one to play with.

Jeff
This looks promising. We've been using the Harmony remotes sparingly to make them last. Hopefully, this device does not suffer from the button delay that is so annoying on the Logitech device.
(2022-07-26, 15:39)Tobor Wrote: [ -> ]This looks promising. We've been using the Harmony remotes sparingly to make them last. Hopefully, this device does not suffer from the button delay that is so annoying on the Logitech device.

I've been using the Flirc USB dongles with all of my Kodi boxes and it has eliminated any delays and double pushes. 

Jeff
(2022-07-25, 23:48)Dumyat Wrote: [ -> ]Saw this advertised on their site last week, but the link wasn't working at the time I tried.
The rubber buttons on my MCE remote are really looking a bit tired these days, so maybe its time for an upgrade!  Smile
I wonder if you will be able open Kodi on Windows with this remote? That is something I've never been able to achieve.

You should be able to open Kodi using a Flirc USB.
Just pre-ordered. Any idea of when it's expected to come out?
I pre-ordered one today too.  I have a number of Harmony remotes with one spare.  They will eventually start dying and I don't know if I can reprogram one now, should I need to.

Jeff
(2022-09-01, 17:22)jbinkley60 Wrote: [ -> ]I pre-ordered one today too.  I have a number of Harmony remotes with one spare.  They will eventually start dying and I don't know if I can reprogram one now, should I need to.

Jeff

Not sure if it's been pointed out here, but one of the more important things we're taking into consideration is longevity. Even if Flirc disappears from the earth, the software should work without needing to phone home or anything. Being able to phone home is nice for updates to the database, but should never be a requirement if you already have a database of remotes.
(2022-08-31, 01:07)hdmkv Wrote: [ -> ]Just pre-ordered. Any idea of when it's expected to come out?

For safety's sake, we're just saying "this fall." Remote is done. Software is in a working state (not as functional as we want, but functional enough to get a remote setup). I think packaging is near finalized or finalized? Basically just a question of putting everything together and making sure the factory doesn't make any mistakes. But if you've ever done hardware, you know the chance of factory mistakes is depressingly high, so... "this fall." Smile
Will definitely be interested...particularly once this gets to parity with e.g. a Harmony 650 - so, notably, nameable keys and the screen that makes that work....I have a whole bunch of custom buttons I can't live without, but also don't want a full on keyboard in my hands, the the 650 is near ideal - all good basic remote functionality as one expects, plus a very good programmable button/screen system.  Although the software is a frickin misery, of course.

(also, nice to see you back in these parts Nate...)
(2022-09-07, 08:01)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ]Will definitely be interested...particularly once this gets to parity with e.g. a Harmony 650 - so, notably, nameable keys and the screen that makes that work....I have a whole bunch of custom buttons I can't live without, but also don't want a full on keyboard in my hands, the the 650 is near ideal - all good basic remote functionality as one expects, plus a very good programmable button/screen system.  Although the software is a frickin misery, of course.

Ditto on the Harmony 650s comments.  They are my mainstay remote control.  I have 4 plus a spare right now.  Their functionality and flexibility is invaluable.

Jeff
Biggest problem with the 650 is the absurd number of buttons on it. It looks like an AV receiver remote with a screen. A major goal of the Skip 1s is to present something a little simpler and cleaner. Instead of a screen, we're going with a programmable color wheel that typically acts as a direction pad, but when the color button is hit adds four more keys. I could be wrong, but my guess is most people rarely, if ever, look at those screens. They memorize the button associated and press without looking down. Same concept here. Combine that functionality with a drag and drop app that let's you assign any button anywhere, and hopefully this covers the vast majority of use cases.
(2022-09-07, 08:01)bossanova808 Wrote: [ -> ](also, nice to see you back in these parts Nate...)

Thanks! I never really left. Just switched to ghost mode.
(2022-09-06, 23:39)natethomas Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-09-01, 17:22)jbinkley60 Wrote: [ -> ]I pre-ordered one today too.  I have a number of Harmony remotes with one spare.  They will eventually start dying and I don't know if I can reprogram one now, should I need to.

Jeff

Not sure if it's been pointed out here, but one of the more important things we're taking into consideration is longevity. Even if Flirc disappears from the earth, the software should work without needing to phone home or anything. Being able to phone home is nice for updates to the database, but should never be a requirement if you already have a database of remotes.

Harmony had a standalone software package early on and then an online version later.  I still have the standalone software but haven't tried it for some time.  I appreciate the Flirc design goal of standalone.  That is part of the appeal and why I ordered one.  If it works out I will replace all my 650s. 

Jeff
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5