Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: 720p playback issues on AMD Athlon 2800+
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hay Guys,

been using xbmc, for a while on both an xbox and a small machine i built from spare parts.

Everything works fine on my HTPC specs of which will follow.

I am having some issues with 720p playback, mainly jitteryness, and out of sync sound.

specs
Athalon A 2800+
1gb ram
6500le AGP
on board sound.

Running Linux Hardy Heron, built from source from the SVN (revision to follow, about 2 weeks ago.. * i know i know, that isnt good enough, but at least i didnt say latest Big Grin)

at a guess i think this isnt powerfull enough to decode. would i be correct in thinking this, or is something else wrong.

Thanks
p/s

keep up the good work devs
not powerful enogh to decode 720p x264
Your processor is a bit on the weak side. I'd look into getting something more powerful, perhaps a 3500+? I'm fair sure that the Athlon XP only went to about 3000+, so you may need a new motherboard, and, by extension, ram also.

Your video card should be alright though, I'd guess.
SneakerElph Wrote:Your processor is a bit on the weak side. I'd look into getting something more powerful, perhaps a 3500+? I'm fair sure that the Athlon XP only went to about 3000+, so you may need a new motherboard, and, by extension, ram also.

Your video card should be alright though, I'd guess.

If he's going to have to go so far as swapping M/B, RAM, and CPU he might as well go Intel C2D. Perhaps overkill for 720P but he will be prepared for higher rez stuff and can play with the software upscaling without issue.

One thought before swapping anything - try overclocking the existing AMD hardware. AMD run hot so he may nto be able to go too high however the AMD heatsinks were pretty nice - worth a shot anyway and free.

GL!
Cheers, just what i thought.
doublepost..

in that case, any one know of any good transcoding tools?
I'm running 720p without any problems with a Athlon Barton 2500+@1900Mhz (200x9.5)

I'm not going to pretend that it doesn't lose any frames, but it plays fluently.
Continuity Wrote:doublepost..

in that case, any one know of any good transcoding tools?

What exactly are you looking to transcode? Are you looking to scale or what? Need more details. I recompress HD but I do not scale, chances are what I do could be modified however. I do not know what the results would look like Shocked
Its cool, i found what i was looking for

AutoMKV

does what i need it to do.

Thanks for the replys
an intresting development.

the MKV has 2 audio streams, one in german (1) and one in English (2)

If i play the movie in german all is well.

Switch to english, and the stuttering is back....

Any ideas?