Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Few questions before update 16.x to 19.x
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi guys. 
Long story short.
I have been using Kodi for several years  but never had a need of updating it to newer version than 16.0.
Even today it works fine but I decided that it's a time to refresh it.

Now, before I do an update, I would like to ask you if I can just install the new version over the old one or if it might cause any significant problems if the old files are left?
I will do a backup of old files just in case but would like to know if the sctucture of folders/files with settings, databases, etc. is kept the same through new releases.

Maybe you have some extra tips to share when doing updates, I will appreciate the info. 

Cheers
(2022-08-09, 10:31)Streamfantastic Wrote: [ -> ]Now, before I do an update, I would like to ask you if I can just install the new version over the old one or if it might cause any significant problems if the old files are left?
No, not a good idea to install over the old version. v19 changed to using Python v3, which means most of the addons you have installed for v16 won't work in v19.
It is better to remove the old version and install fresh.

This raises other issues about your library. Do you have local artwork? How did you add media to the library - through nfo files or scraping. How old is your library?
I am assuming you have had the library set up for quite a few years, which means the entries are old, which also means that possibly a lot of artwork in your library is no longer available at the scraper sites.
So while I would normally suggest exporting your library to nfo files, I think in this case it might cause more problems if you don't have local artwork. Also there were major changes to scrapers in v17 and v18 so if you rescrape your library again with v19, you will find you have more and better metadata.

If you are using Windows, you can save your v16 Kodi data folder (wiki) as a backup. If you look at the Windows section... https://kodi.wiki/view/Backup The image shows how you can rename the folder as a backup. Kodi will then create a new one. Don't leave that folder there when you install the new v19 otherwise Kodi will try to use it, and it may cause you problems. Rename it before uninstalling v16.
An upgrade going back that far is usually done in lock-step with hardware upgrades. Without the hardware, as 'Karellen' noted there has been a world of changes. Best advice I can give, is to entertain a Portable install (wiki) which keeps your old set-up intact, while creating a fresh new installation, prove out it's functional operation, then supply your sources, and scan away. If you have exported your library to separate files, and the .nfo is readable by the new scrapers, you'll be up in no time.
Hi guys, 
Sorry for late answer but I went for vacation. 
Thanks for your replies. I expected that it will make more sense to do a fresh install. 
As for the library, yeah, I started to have some time ago problems with scrapping info from net. One scrapped stopped completely, the other more and more often provides wrong info aka read wrong tittle. I suspected it had something to do with changes made to KODI and the scrappers. At least now I have definitive answer and know where I'm standing at. 

Thanks for suggestions and clarification. 

Regards