Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I configure my Windows dual boot system to share the same Kodi database?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there. Here's my situation. I have 2 versions of Windows (Windows 7 and Windows 10) running on my system, which I dual boot into. I currently have Kodi installed and running the way I want it to run, only in my Windows 7 system. I'd like to set it up in Windows 10 also, so that whenever I boot into Windows 10 I will have access to the exact same interface and program library in Kodi as I have on my Windows 7 system. Is there any way for both Windows to share the same Kodi files, without disturbing each other whenever I boot back into the other system? Any help with such a project would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.
Kodi's default database location is on a fixated path. The only drastic measure that I can think of, is that you could mount the 2nd system and use some sort of softlink to the (database) folder of the other setup. Obviously this trick has no official status whatsoever, other than unsupported.

Or... manage your database externally via MySQL/MariaDB, and then every Kodi device could connect to that database.
Install Kodi to an area outside of Program Files that is shared between the 2 Windows versions. Then run Kodi in Portable Mode so the same database is always used, for more on Portable Mode see https://kodi.wiki/view/Portable_mode

However this relies on hardware being reported exactly the same by the 2 versions of Windows, for example audio device id's.