Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Odd behaviour of KODI when playing ripped BluRays
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I use my KODI almost exclusively to play ripped DVDs and BluRays, stored on a NAS. I wanted my ripped  BluRays to play like the original discs they were ripped from, with original menus, access to extras etc. So I installed PowerDVD and set up KODI to play ripped BlueRays through this as an external player. Worked like a charm. Then I went on an extended summer vacation and did not use the system (KODI 19.3 installed on a Windows 10 HTPC) for a couple of months, and now KODI no longer launches my BluRays movies in PowerDVD, but instead in its internal player! No one has been using the system while I was gone. 

1. Can anyone explain what has happened and why?

2. The playback directly from KODI is much better than it was previously (years ago) when I decided to go for PowerDVD, so I can now easily live with the system playing directly through KODI, but I would still like the option to open through PowerDVD for access to the original menu. I seem to recall that it was possible to have an option of "Play Using" or something similar, where I could manually select an installed external player) I cannot find such an option any longer. I am using Amber skin.  Can anyone tell me if it would still be possible to access my PowerDVD, but only manually?

Grateful for all help!
Christopher
(2022-08-26, 10:18)cgroth Wrote: [ -> ]2. The playback directly from KODI is much better than it was previously (years ago) when I decided to go for PowerDVD, so I can now easily live with the system playing directly through KODI, but I would still like the option to open through PowerDVD for access to the original menu. I seem to recall that it was possible to have an option of "Play Using" or something similar, where I could manually select an installed external player) I cannot find such an option any longer. I am using Amber skin.  Can anyone tell me if it would still be possible to access my PowerDVD, but only manually?

Figured this one out myself! Press C for Contect Menu, and then the option of Play Using appears.

I wonder, now that for some reason the BluRays no longer open automatically in PowerDVD like they used, and I can live with it because internal BlueRay playback works quite well, could there be som option, when I am selecting a BlueRay title, that instead of automatically playing in the internal player (like it does now) or automatically launching PowerDVD (like it did before) the Context Menu is activated? Then I manually select the player I want to use?  

Christopher
Can you share your playercorefactory.xml? Are you trying to play an ISO file or is it a Blu-ray folder structure?
If possible a log would be helpful too.
Hi, I believe this is my playercorefactory (although I am not 100% certain, as this looks old..) I am using Kodi in portable mode I believe (the target on the desktop shortcut is C:\PKodi\Kodi\kodi.exe -p) and the playercorefactory.xml file is found in my User>AppData>Roaming>Kodi>userdata

<players>

<player video="true" audio="false" type="ExternalPlayer" name="PowerDVD">

<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD17\PowerDVD.exe</filename>
<args>"{1}"</args>

<hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>

<hideconsole>false</hideconsole>

<warpcursor>none</warpcursor>

</player>

</players>

<rules action="prepend">

<rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts"player="PowerDVD"/>

</rules>

</playercorefactory>

I ripped all my discs in their original file structure.

I will try to post a log too, just have to remember how to do that.

Important to remember that no changes have been made by humans to the Kodi set-up (including playercorefactory) since it launched automatically in PowerDVD.  Also I tested the PowerDVD launch from the contect menu and it works fine.

Right now I am not looking to revert to it lanching BluRays rips automatically in PowerDVD though! I am

1. Just trying to understand what can cause Kodi to change its behaviour, and
2. Find out if it is possible to automatically launch a question of "Play Using?" wheneever I select a BluRay rip, but only then. So the action would not to automatically launch PowerDVD but to automatically launch the Context Menu whenever a Bluray rip is selected, but not a regular DVD rip (which are about 90% of all my approx 5.000 ripped discs).
Sorry, this is the playercorefactory used I believe:

<playercorefactory>

<players>

<player video="true" audio="false" type="ExternalPlayer" name="PowerDVD">

<filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDVD17\PDVDLP.exe</filename>

</player>

</players>

<rules action="prepend">

</rules>

</playercorefactory>
And my log should be here: https://paste.kodi.tv/bivenaveja.kodi
You don't have any rules in your player core factory (the second one) that being the reason for Kodi not to launch your br files automatically using your defined external player. However since it is configured as an external player, it's available on the list in the context menu as a player option.

I don't think it's possible to have the context menu opening automatically only for certain files. It's not a current Kodi feature afaik.
Thanks! Then I understand why it behaves the way it does (I suspected as much when i saw the code), but I still don't understand what has caused it to change....

Anyhow, now at least know how to get PowerDVD to open, and it works, so I am 90% there. Would be great though if it would be possible to trigger an action like launching the ContextMenu instead of an external player for certain file types??
Would adding this code after </players>
:
<rules action="prepend">

<rule filetypes="iso|bdmv|mpls|m2ts"player="PowerDVD"/>

</rules>

restore the automatic launching of PowerDVD when selecting a ripped BluRay?  Not saying I want to do that, just trying to figure out my alternatives :-)
Yeap I think that will do it. As to the reason for the change of behaviour I'd bet on something wrong with your portable mode (maybe it was using the other playercorefactory.xml file). Kodi does not autoupdate Smile

Maybe try opening a forum thread in the feature requests subforum for your other request, otherwise it will get lost. That way maybe someone can advise better or have a go at trying to implement it.
Cheers
(2022-08-26, 15:05)enen92 Wrote: [ -> ]Yeap I think that will do it. As to the reason for the change of behaviour I'd bet on something wrong with your portable mode (maybe it was using the other playercorefactory.xml file). Kodi does not autoupdate Smile

Maybe try opening a forum thread in the feature requests subforum for your other request, otherwise it will get lost. That way maybe someone can advise better or have a go at trying to implement it.
Cheers

Thanks!!
This can be marked as solved now :-)
Thread marked solved.