Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Combination of Dolby Vision & Atmos, and only that combo shows as green/purple tint.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
No issue playing Dolby Vision files with 5.1 non-Atmos sound, and no issues playing HDR10 videos with Atmos 5.1/7.1 sound, but any video that have BOTH DV and Atmos turns green&purple. Latest stable Kodi running on newest version of a Mac Mini with latest OSX.

(Also had the same issue on my Win10 PC with Photos & Videos app until I installed a Dolby HEVC Extension from Windows AppStore for €1, if that’s a clue. Issue persists there in VLC/MPV though)

TV is a LG OLED C1 2021, connected over HDMI.

Anyone have a clue on what goes wrong?
Post media info of all 3 types of file.
This one plays correctly: ^

-
These 2^ do not.

I tested with around 10 different files and while that pattern I mentioned where the failing files always had both DV and Atmos, I got an explanation on reddit where I asked about this issue as well, and the info I got there was that it's probably nothing to do with DV+Atmos but that these failing files don't have a HDR10 fallback when Kodi can't play the DV vid. Could that be true? I'm not good enough with the info from MediaInfo to make that out.
I couldn't figure out how to edit my post, but wanted to continue on what I wrote and ask if it's the "BL+EL+RPU that is the HDR10 fallback which the other two files doesn't have according to MediaInfo?
Bump to follow. I have the same issue.
I'm running 19.4 on Windows 10
Are they definitely playing back in Dolby Vision and not just HDR? Also what happens if you select a different audio track?
(2022-09-05, 10:03)Hitcher Wrote: [ -> ]Are they definitely playing back in Dolby Vision and not just HDR? Also what happens if you select a different audio track?
I pressed O to see some info during playback and they are identical for both files that render correctly and those that don't, so not sure how to figure that out to be honest. I'd love if you could tell me how to get more precis info somehow.
Selecting a different audiotrack isn't possible so I can't test that, it just says 1/1 and greyed out in the settings->audio menu, which surprised me since MediaInfo showed multiple options.
Just to reset the thread a bit. From what I've gathered these last few days, it comes down to this I think:
1. Kodi cannot play Dolby Vision material.
2. Kodi can only view Dolby Vision material if they include a fallback to HDR10 or so. (Which is why I have a few clips that works, and the correlation with non-Atmos sound is just a coincident.

So the big question becomes; When will Kodi support DV?
Alternative fanbased forked builds of Kodi like the Maven one or others all seem to be Android related and not something I can use on the Mac Mini which is my HTPC.
(2022-09-05, 13:53)lromlin Wrote: [ -> ]I pressed O to see some info during playback and they are identical for both files that render correctly and those that don't, so not sure how to figure that out to be honest. I'd love if you could tell me how to get more precis info somehow.
Your TV will tell you when it's playing a Dolby Vision video with a popup onscreen. If you only get the HDR popup message your device can't play DV and is falling back to HDR. When you see odd colours there's no HDR fallback.
Dolby Vision HDR playback in Kodi will always be dependent upon a device with the licensed driver-blobs and the inclusion of FFMPEG 5.x in Kodi 21 at the earliest (from what I've read on this forum.)
Just have a question about Kodi. Does it support HDR10+? I can play The Lord of the Rings The Rings of Power (2022) through UPNP from Kodi and my TV shows HDR10+. When I play directly through Kodi I'm only seeing HDR from my TV information. It's being played on the same TV.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread.

Picture 1 - Playing from Kodi
Picture 2 - UPNP same TV through Kodi
ImageImage
(2022-09-04, 01:58)lromlin Wrote: [ -> ]No issue playing Dolby Vision files with 5.1 non-Atmos sound, and no issues playing HDR10 videos with Atmos 5.1/7.1 sound. Latest stable Kodi running on newest version of a Mac Mini with latest OSX.

TV is a LG OLED C1 2021, connected over HDMI.

How do you get any videos to trigger Dolby Vision and HDR10 on your tv from a Mac running Kodi? As far as I know the Mac version of Kodi running on OSX does not support any HDR formats. I am very curious how you managed to get those formats working in the OSX version? Smile