Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi restarts everytime I exit an app
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Been using Kodi on Nvidia Shield for about 3 years.  Up until now, when I exit an app(ie Tablo, Disney+, Philo, etc) it opened right back into Kodi.  For the last several weeks, it now exits the app and Kodi has to restart.  Is there a setting I have inadvertently changed to cause this behavior?  Any thoughts on what I can do to stop this behavior?
Ideally you should be exiting Kodi cleanly using the power menu when not in use, it is a good practice to have. It will then start cleanly when you open it again, not really a hardship. Do you have Kodi doing something in the background that you don't want interrupted? 

If you leave it running in the background then it will be left up to the Android OS and how it handles apps running in the background. You haven't supplied much information about your setup such as if you recently updated the Shield, what version of Kodi you are running etc so it is hard to say what is going on.

If you supply a link to your Debug Log replicating the issue it may shed some light on what is happening.

edit: I have a Shield and on occasion I have forgotten to shutdown Kodi and I have not found it consistent as to how long Kodi keeps running in the background. Sometimes it is still there after several minutes, sometimes the Shield has shut it down after a few seconds.
If it needs to the Shield will close apps down, it all depends on what you're running.
"Ideally you should be exiting Kodi cleanly using the power menu when not in use, it is a good practice to have. It will then start cleanly when you open it again, not really a hardship. Do you have Kodi doing something in the background that you don't want interrupted? "
      Not sure I understand what you mean.  If I use Kodi as my launcher to start other programs, then Kodi is running in the background, and I am unable to exit it using the power menu. I don't want to re-open Kodi, I want the Shield to go back to Kodi when I close the app that I used Kodi to open.  This has been its operating process for the last 3 years.
      I believe I am on Shield version 8.9, I have not upgraded to the latest update.   Kodi is version 18.9.
(2022-09-27, 00:17)bsellers100 Wrote: [ -> ]      Not sure I understand what you mean.  If I use Kodi as my launcher to start other programs, then Kodi is running in the background, and I am unable to exit it using the power menu. I don't want to re-open Kodi, I want the Shield to go back to Kodi when I close the app that I used Kodi to open.  This has been its operating process for the last 3 years.
      I believe I am on Shield version 8.9, I have not upgraded to the latest update.   Kodi is version 18.9.
Ah well you didn't mention this initially. This is a different use case than the standard which is why I enquired if you needed Kodi to be doing something in the background while you were using other apps. Obviously with this use case you do.

It still comes down to the Android OS being in control of it's background processes, obviously something has changed but it is not Kodi that has changed (you are using an old version of Kodi) it will be something in the Android OS. Might be an idea to upgrade to Kodi 19.4, your version of Kodi is no longer getting updates or fixes.

Somebody may have some insights but this is an Android OS issue not a Kodi one so you may have better luck in a specific Android forum. Nevertheless your Debug Log may show what's happening so if you want specific advice instead of guesswork it might be a good idea to share it as I've already suggested.