Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Small black bars around videos (refresh rate related)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
When playing 16:9 videos from my library on my 3840x2160 they are drawn with (albeit quite small) black bars and a slightly vertically stretched image. It's like it's displaying a 1920x1080 video at 1900x1080 or similar (I can screenshot and measure the actual amount if needed, but this is a weird bug in kodi itself)

It is not the video. MPV and VLC play the video fine without bars, if I export a frame from the video it does not have black bars.

Googling it brings up people with the same problem:

https://www.reddit.com/r/kodi/comments/h...reen_help/
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=314364

- My display has no overscan set either on the TV or on the PC. Everything else I do on the PC uses the full screen
- Since VLC and MPV are fine, it's clearly an issue with Kodi.
- Kodi's UI takes up the entire screen, it just adds black bars around the video
- Using the screen calibration tool, the arrows do go into the corners

A suggested fix it to set the refresh rate to 59.9 instead of 60hz. My TV doesn't support that but if I set it to 50hz instead of 60hz, it does work fine. I don't really want to lose 10hz though as that's quite a bit different and feels less snappy.

Why would changing the refresh rate affect the aspect ratio of the rendered video? This has to be a kodi bug as other players are fine. Why can't it draw the video correctly at 60hz? Displaying the video at the correct screen coordinates and refresh rate are totally different things to the video player so I'm not sure why kodi can't do it correctly.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
Log file: https://paste.kodi.tv/seyedoqudu.kodi

The interesting line here is

INFO <general>: UpdateResolutions: - 3840x2160 @60.000 Hz pixel ratio 1.007 current

Why is the pixel ratio 1.007 and not 1.000?
sorry, I can't edit my post but my guisettings.xml contains:

xml:
<resolution>
            <description>DP1: 3840x2160 @ 60.00Hz</description>
            <subtitles>2084</subtitles>
            <pixelratio>1.000000</pixelratio>
            <refreshrate>60.000000</refreshrate>
            <output>DP1</output>
            <xrandrid>0x4e</xrandrid>
            <overscan>
                <left>0</left>
                <top>0</top>
                <right>3840</right>
                <bottom>2160</bottom>
            </overscan>
        </resolution>

so the pixel ratio for the specified resolution shouldn't be 1.007, right?
ok, after further testing, in Video Calibration, the pixel ratio is set to 1.007.

If I change it, the video is displayed correctly. But, as soon as I quit and reopen kodi it's set to 1.007 again so I need to go and change it every time I restart Kodi. Is there any way to set it permanently? Something in kodi is setting it incorrectly on startup