Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Store Profiles: Live TV
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
It would be extremely useful if Kodi could store profiles of PVR channels.

For example: if I define that channel Y has subtitles enabled and the audio language is English, every time I open this channel it will open with active subtitles and in English, but if no profile is saved, it will open in the global configuration.

Before the development team talks about the option "set default for all media", I already say that it doesn't work as well as expected, especially on Live TV with the HTSP Client, many channels arrive with the subtitle name "undetermined", so the functionality to store profiles would be very useful.
It is an interesting request, but I believe that subtitles are not very important for Kodi users, since in the US it should not be used much, and this change would be a lot of work for developers.
I also think that tvheadend is not that useful, correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know it's not even updated anymore.

Anyway, it's an opinion, wait for a developer to analyze it.
Not sure what that last comment was meant to contribute Tyrone, just ignore it.  Using your first ever post to make sweeping, uninformed generalisations and to gauge the amount of work required for Team Kodi is certainly one way to go.

Anyway, I agree, this would be a useful feature.  The automatic display of subtitles for items in the movies/TV library can be controlled with some precision but you need to get the combination of settings in the Language section just right in some cases, I don't know whether a combination exists that would work for your use case.  Probably not if the subs are coming is with no language tag.  I'm also not sure if this is something that would need implementing in core Kodi or in each PVR addon.  If you're lucky, this will catch @ksooo's eye and they will provide as assessment.
(2022-10-04, 03:08)Vomitor Wrote: [ -> ]I believe that subtitles are not very important for Kodi users
You couldn't be further from the truth. More and more people want subtitles not just for the initial translation of a spoken foreign language, but also when voices in the video are too soft to hear or are overpowered by the video's loud music or other external noises (other people in the room talking).

(2022-10-04, 03:08)Vomitor Wrote: [ -> ]since in the US it should not be used much
"shouldn't be used".. hmm. Mkay. Why?

(2022-10-04, 03:08)Vomitor Wrote: [ -> ]I also think that tvheadend is not that useful
Software that is no longer developed for whatever reason can still be pretty useful.
(2022-10-04, 11:28)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]You couldn't be further from the truth. More and more people want subtitles not just for the initial translation of a spoken foreign language, but also when voices in the video are too soft to hear or are overpowered by the video's loud music or other external noises (other people in the room talking).

I couldn't agree more with your comments voices too soft and such.  My AVR has dialog lift enabled and I still find on occasion that I have to enable subtitles to understand what they are saying.  For foreign language forced subtitles I burn them into my video rips.    I don't ever see subtitles going away. 

Jeff
Subtitles for Live TV vary by country, DVB usually is dvbsub and the Kodi support is good but for closed captioning here in North America definitely needs works an unfortunately a PR for Nexus has been deferred to v21 https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/20469.  The issues here are missing or garbled text. 

Apparently there are issue with teletext subtitles which are used in some countries but that is something I don't know much about.

I addition to my work with pvr.nextpvr I wrote an Android client and ExoPlayer deals with the closed captioning quite well, once Kodi works like this no doubt more people will use it in North America.  I am looking into ExoPlayer to see if I can improve the Spanish CC-3 support and once I learn more about CEA-608/708 I'd like to look at Kodi, I don't like the ticker style.

Related to profiles things like subtitles on or off are already stored with the per channel settings but the language is not there.  I am not sure how it works for DVB but I know here with ATSC the subtitles are often on a per program basis (CC1-4) so saving the value wouldn't make a lot of sense.  Better to depend on a general preference order IMO.

Martin
I agree with all the points raised, the use of subtitles goes far beyond translation for foreigners, it is widely used, and even if it were, Kodi is used all over the world.

As for the work that this will bring, I believe it's not a problem for Team Kodi, since if they thought like that, Kodi wouldn't be what it is today, probably the biggest media player application in the world.
If the development team can review this request and add it in the future I will be very happy, I believe it will be something very useful for everyone, and as @jbinkley60 commented, the usefulness can go beyond Live TV as we often need to change the Subtitle tags in video files or burn in videos.

I also believe that this change has the ability to greatly reduce the PR related to subtitles, as it will allow a much more precise control of how they behave in each video or TV channel.
Any chance of this being implemented in the near future?   Sad