Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't run Kodi from Raspberry Pi via RDP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have Kodi installed on a laptop running Ubuntu and I can run kodi on it from my Windows laptop using RDP just fine.  I have installed Kodi on a Raspberry Pi and tried to do the same but it won't run.  I don't have a head for the raspberry Pi so I am not sure if the issue is with running it over RDP or some specific Raspberry Pi problem.

jsunwalters@raspberrypi:~ $ kodi
open /dev/fb0: Permission denied
[E] Failed to initialize VCHI (ret=-1)
* failed to open vchiq instance
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
Crash report available at /home/jsunwalters/kodi_crashlog-20221022_181529.log
[E] Invalid arguments ' '

The crash log is at https://paste.kodi.tv/efoqakeyim.kodi

I even get an error when trying to display the version for this post.

jsunwalters@raspberrypi:~ $ kodi --version
open /dev/fb0: Permission denied
[E] Failed to initialize VCHI (ret=-1)
18.2 Git:20190428-a94ccc8ba5 Media Center Kodi
Copyright © 2005-2018 Team Kodi - http://kodi.tv
[E] Invalid arguments ' '
Or do I need to hook up a monitor to the Pi to do the initial startup and configuration, then switch to RDP from my Windows machine?
This is probably a stupid question, but why would you want to get involved with RDP instead of running Kodi directly on the device in front of you?

Kodi runs fine on Ubuntu, it runs fine on Windows, and it runs fine on a Raspberry Pi device. So what is the benefit of RDP, which hardly tops 20, 25 fps AFAIK?
I don't believe kodi will run over vnc or rdb from a pi.
The gbm backend used for display doesn't use the default framebuffer (which vmc/rdb) remote, but custom drm planes for gui and video.

It is possible to build kodi with an x11 backend, which would work, but performance will be worse.
Obviously on top of that, remoting the display with vnc/rdb will lower performance further.
@popcornmix : this seems to answer (negatively unfortunately) a question I was asking myself:
Why do I have a black screen through vnc when Kodi is active when everything works before I launch Kodi ?
Is there a way for the vnc client to say "quit" to Kodi when the screen is black ?
BR
Pulsar33
Fair question. I can't run it on my Windows laptop because it is my employers and they don't allow it, the ubuntu system is dying, so looking for the Pi to be a stop gap.  It is not in a location in my house that makes it easy to have a monitor on to use.
You could run LibreELEC from a simple USB stick on your company laptop and bypassing the installed Win OS, that is, if you're allowed to boot USB hardware on that laptop.
Thanks, that sounds like a possible solution.

I also think that once I am on Windows 11 and can run WSL 2 I might be able to run Kodi in that Container and my IT department would be none the wiser :-)
(2022-10-23, 12:54)Pulsar33 Wrote: [ -> ]@popcornmix : this seems to answer (negatively unfortunately) a question I was asking myself:
Why do I have a black screen through vnc when Kodi is active when everything works before I launch Kodi ?
Is there a way for the vnc client to say "quit" to Kodi when the screen is black ?
BR
Pulsar33
@popcornmix your answer was very clear and we have to live with it. However, if someone has launched Kodi on the distant machine, we only have a black screen on the local one and can't do anything. This is why I asked you if there is a way (in this situation) to tell from the local machine to the distant Kodi that it has to quit and let the desktop take the hand ? Is there ?
Best regards
Pulsar33