Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Movie dialogue pretty quiet
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello,

my setup looks like this:

Nvidia Shield 2017 -> Denon X1400 AVR -> 3.0 JBL speaker system (R,L,C) and Sony XR83A90J TV

Currently, I'm having the problem that movie dialogue is pretty quiet, while other noises are pretty loud. I am trying to balance this out by turning the center volume (volume amplification) up and turning the master volume somewhat down in Kodi's sound settings.
In order to do this, I have to disable "Passthrough" in Kodi.

Is there a better way to solve this problem? I was wondering if I lose any audio quality when disabling "Passthrough". Do I have any disadvantage by doing so?

Are there any guides on properly setting up audio in Kodi with Denon AVRs? DTS is the audio codec, which I usually play back. I assume that there is some problem with the downmixing to 3.0.

Thank you for your help!
(2022-11-02, 16:00)chrisr34000 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there a better way to solve this problem?
On your remote for the Denon, click Option and select Dialogue Enhancer. You should be able to boost the centre channel dialogue. I have mine set to Light.

(2022-11-02, 16:00)chrisr34000 Wrote: [ -> ]I was wondering if I lose any audio quality when disabling "Passthrough"
No. The audio can be unpacked by either Kodi or your AVR. Most people prefer letting the AVR do the work as that is what it is designed for.
There are some settings in Kodi that will automatically disable passthrough to allow that setting to take effect. eg Sync playback to display
I have no dialogue enhancer setting on the X1400H.
I've owned many Denon AVR's over the years, currently an old-ish AVR-1912 and a newer X2500-H, can't say I've ever seen a Dialogue Enhancer option, I wonder if Karellen means the "Dynamic Volume" option?  That definitely helps massively with quiet/muffled dialogue, try setting that to "Light".

Older models stepped from "Day" through to "Midnight" options but they've been renamed on more recent models from "Light" through to "Heavy".  It does also shave off the really loud parts as it's kind of meant as a "Normalisation" kind of function but it does boost dialogue really well.
(2022-11-07, 11:11)beeswax Wrote: [ -> ]I wonder if Karellen means the "Dynamic Volume" option?
On my AVR-X7200WA system it is Dialogue Enhancer.
I also have the Dynamic Volume setting.

That explains it, I have only ever bought the peasant models which don't have this feature  Laugh

Is Dialogue Enhance like Dynamic Volume but without softening the peak loudness?  That would be sweet.
(2022-11-08, 02:39)beeswax Wrote: [ -> ]Is Dialogue Enhance like Dynamic Volume but without softening the peak loudness?
An extract from the manual...
In my setup, I need to set it to Light, otherwise the centre channel vocals are muted which is probably what the OP is experiencing.

(2022-11-08, 02:39)beeswax Wrote: [ -> ]That explains it, I have only ever bought the peasant models which don't have this feature  Laugh

Is Dialogue Enhance like Dynamic Volume but without softening the peak loudness?  That would be sweet.

The answer to this question is yes, the 'Dialogue Enhancer' option targets the dialogue frequency band in the centre channel only and is not, unlike Audyssey Dynamic Volume, a dynamic range compressor. Having said that, I prefer to use Audyssey Dynamic Volume on 'Light' as it boosts other quieter sounds in the mix as well, and it only mildly lowers the ceiling for the loudest sounds.

The separate 'Dialogue Enhancer' can be used with or without Audyssey Dynamic Volume enabled.
I've found nothing works as well as a soundbar specifically optimized for dialog. I use this one https://zvox.com/collections/accuvoice/p...oice-boost

It's not great for concerts our spatial audio effects but boy do you hear dialog with this thing.