Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: TrueHD audio drops Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At random times audio streams in the Dolby TrueHD format seems to drop for just a second and then correct itself. This happens a few times during a movie. Usually 4-6 times. Never at the same timestamps.
I tried this with Kodi 19.4 (play store), Kodi 20, alpha and nightly builds. And now I have tested Maven's builds which all give the same sound drops as described above. However, Kodi 20 is noticeably better.

Kodi settings:
Audio passtrough enabled. Output device: AudioTrack (IEC)
Disabling the passtrough would mean my setup isn't getting surround at all. So it needs to be on.

Shield settings:
Match content audio resolution: on
Play Comfort Noise on HDMI: Off
Dolby Audio Processing: Off

Setup:
Nvidia Shield (2019 Pro) > LG DSP9YA (+ SPK8S) > TV
Cables are certified HDMI 2.1 cables.

Tested the original 4K disks, and they have no audio drops. So that rules out my sound setup, I think.
Is this a Kodi bug, or is it my Shield? Shield is firmware: 9.11 (also happened with 9.1 and 9.0) Would reverting to v8.2.3 help?

Paste is from a Maven Build. Hope you don't mind:
https://paste.kodi.tv/iwujuwujir

If any more info is needed, I'll gladly give it. Since this is driving me bonkos.
(2022-11-02, 21:50)BrapMaster5000 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried this with Kodi 19.4 (play store),

v19.4 is NOT in Play Store so I guess you have been using v19.3 which doesn't have all TrueHD fixes.

Quote:Match content audio resolution: on
This is OK but also is important:

Audio video sync: 0 ms  (default is 50 ms if firmware is upgraded from 8.2.x)
(2022-11-02, 23:59)jogal Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-11-02, 21:50)BrapMaster5000 Wrote: [ -> ]I tried this with Kodi 19.4 (play store),

v19.4 is NOT in Play Store so I guess you have been using v19.3 which doesn't have all TrueHD fixes.

Quote:Match content audio resolution: on
This is OK but also is important:

Audio video sync: 0 ms  (default is 50 ms if firmware is upgraded from 8.2.x)

Thanks for replying Smile

Sorry, you are right. It was indeed 19.3. I guess that explains why I have fewer issues with the newer builds.
I think I already put the audio video sync at 0 ms. Because it was 0 when i just checked. Issue still persists.
@jogal From your main thread I understood that the TrueHD dropout issue was not fully fixed yet unless you use the RAW output packer?

I watched some movies recently and I still had dropouts in the same way as @BrapMaster5000 described.

I then switched to the legacy version of Just Player (https://github.com/moneytoo/Player/releases), which is based on EXO Player, and no longer had issues.
(2022-11-03, 09:46)MrMagic Wrote: [ -> ]From your main thread I understood that the TrueHD dropout issue was not fully fixed yet unless you use the RAW output packer?

For me it is full fixed since I don't have any issues (like 98% of the people). Although I only use v20 currently.

EDIT:  v20 includes an additional improvement --> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21428

Quote:unless you use the RAW output packer?

It is not what my thread says but quite the opposite:
(2021-10-25, 12:40)jogal Wrote: [ -> ]In Kodi audio settings make sure you are using "AudioTrak (IEC), Kodi IEC packer" if Android device supports it (i.e. Shield)
"AudioTrack (RAW)" has some known issues, mainly audio loss after seek or chapters skipping.
(2022-11-03, 11:54)jogal Wrote: [ -> ]It is not what my thread says but quite the opposite:

Ok, I'm sorry. I guess I mis-interpreted the title of the thread which says "TrueHD RAW fix".

I will try to watch an entire movie with the latest v20 nightly and turn on debug logging and see what happens. Thanks!
I'm using v20 on my 2019 Shield Pro and I get about 2 or 3 audio dropouts during a 4K movie with TrueHD Atmos.

Output Device: AudioTrack (IEC)
Match Content Audio Resolution: On
Audio Sync Offset: 0 ms

I'm hoping that there will eventually be a fix for this. I haven't tried this yet, but could changing to AudioTrack RAW possibly help?
(2022-11-04, 06:30)Draconix Wrote: [ -> ]I'm using v20 on my 2019 Shield Pro and I get about 2 or 3 audio dropouts during a 4K movie with TrueHD Atmos.

Output Device: AudioTrack (IEC)
Match Content Audio Resolution: On
Audio Sync Offset: 0 ms

I'm hoping that there will eventually be a fix for this. I haven't tried this yet, but could changing to AudioTrack RAW possibly help?
Sorry, I only had time to test for 1 hour. But changing this to RAW seems to be more stable. 0 drops during that hour. I might have been lucky during this hour, though.
Thanks, I'll give it a try soon and I'll post my results.

EDIT: Just watched a 2 hour movie with TrueHD Atmos and didn't notice any audio dropouts. It could have been luck, but AudioTrack RAW definitely seems more stable so far!
Sorry for not replying. Hadn't really have a chance to watch movies. But after changing the Audio Track to RAW, i watched 2 movies with TrueHD and they didn't drop sound once! I guess that's the trick for now.
(2022-11-14, 13:40)BrapMaster5000 Wrote: [ -> ]Sorry for not replying. Hadn't really have a chance to watch movies. But after changing the Audio Track to RAW, i watched 2 movies with TrueHD and they didn't drop sound once! I guess that's the trick for now.

Thank you for the information! I have also just watched a few more movies with TrueHD Atmos, and there were no sound drops!

It definitely seems like AudioTrack RAW is a good solution for those of us who are experiencing the audio dropout issue.
(2022-11-24, 08:02)Draconix Wrote: [ -> ]It definitely seems like AudioTrack RAW is a good solution for those of us who are experiencing the audio dropout issue.

I dont have dropouts using AudioTrack RAW on my Shield '19 with Kodi 19.4 either but there is one big problem:
My receiver does not get a Dolby Atmos signal anymore. If I have the AudioTrack IEC activated, it shows Dolby Atmos as intended (with dropouts), if I activate AudioTrack RAW I get no dropouts but apparently no Atmos too ...... 

DD+ with Atmos works fine btw. just not TrueHD with Atmos. 

Any ideas?
(2022-11-27, 11:08)highning Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-11-24, 08:02)Draconix Wrote: [ -> ]It definitely seems like AudioTrack RAW is a good solution for those of us who are experiencing the audio dropout issue.

I dont have dropouts using AudioTrack RAW on my Shield '19 with Kodi 19.4 either but there is one big problem:
My receiver does not get a Dolby Atmos signal anymore. If I have the AudioTrack IEC activated, it shows Dolby Atmos as intended (with dropouts), if I activate AudioTrack RAW I get no dropouts but apparently no Atmos too ...... 

Any ideas?

I just tried playing several 4K movies in my collection, and my receiver clearly showed "Dolby TrueHD Atmos". I can also confirm that Atmos is working because I have Atmos "height" speakers, and I could hear birds flying overhead at the beginning of Godzilla vs Kong.

So I'm not sure why you're not getting Atmos with AudioTrack RAW, but it seems like an isolated issue.
(2022-11-03, 11:54)jogal Wrote: [ -> ]For me it is full fixed since I don't have any issues (like 98% of the people). Although I only use v20 currently.

EDIT:  v20 includes an additional improvement --> https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/21428

jogal, could you please tell me, is this included in Nexus Beta 1.0?

It seems like "yes"
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues?q=is...0+Nexus%22
(2022-11-29, 01:55)Draconix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2022-11-27, 11:08)highning Wrote: [ -> ]

Any ideas?

I just tried playing several 4K movies in my collection, and my receiver clearly showed "Dolby TrueHD Atmos". I can also confirm that Atmos is working because I have Atmos "height" speakers, and I could hear birds flying overhead at the beginning of Godzilla vs Kong.

So I'm not sure why you're not getting Atmos with AudioTrack RAW, but it seems like an isolated issue.
I cannot use AudioTrack Raw and still get Atmos over TrueHD, get DD+ instead. In fact, it removes the option to even select passthrough audio. Switching to AudioTrack IEC fixes this and I get Atmos over TrueHD, BUT randomly Kodi kept switching back to RAW and I've have to toggle it again manually. My Kodi just updated to V20 on my 2019 Shield Pro last night and now I'm getting a sound cutout (not video) every 5 minutes or so in a movie. I've tried about every setting, but cannot figure it out. On the plus, it hasn't switched back to RAW yet, but the audio cut outs are driving me crazy.
Pages: 1 2