Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: The Green Button (Alpha)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
THE GREEN BUTTON
I always loved Windows Media Center and hated that it lost support. Kodi has been great and I wanted to bring the UI experience of WMC to Kodi. One of the things that was always lacking in WMC was the ability to change the menu system. There were third party options that got it done but now that the UI is in Kodi, I'm hoping that it'll be a lot easier to do so. 

My main goal with this skin is to slim down the options on what is seen on the home menu and then allow you to better browse your media once you decided what you want to do (i.e. watch live tv, watch a movie, tv series, etc.). Once you go into a media section, you will be provided with a list of everything you have. The top portion of the menu (view, all videos, sort, update, etc) are all going to be actions you can take. The next menu down (browse by, search, genre, year, etc.) are going to be different ways to browse that media. The sub menu below that will be specific to the menu above it. So, if you are on browse by for movies you will get All movies, recently added, in progress, and sets. TV shows will have something specific for it as well as Live TV.

I've been working on this skin off and on for the last year+ and am looking to get this out soon. Unfortunately since I'm still learning how to skin in Kodi, it's been a long process. I am still working out some major issues but once I have those in place, I'll release the code so others can try it out.

Alpha Release:
https://github.com/Doctor-Eggs/skin.theG...Button.zip

Here is a video. Hopefully YouTube keeps it available:

Here is the link to imgur: https://imgur.com/a/G6htLl5

Here are some screen shots:
ImageImageImageImage
READY FOR ALPHA RELEASE:
* TV (minus recorded tv)
* Movies
* TV Shows
* Add-ons
* Different views for TV Episodes
* Settings

STILL WORKING ON:
* Music
* Games
* Weather
* Player Options on VideoFullScreen (when video is playing and Context Menu selected)
genial
This is very Cool. I still have many fond memories of using WMC back in the day!
Looks like you've done a superb job at mimicking the WMC UI, which seems to be a very close match just from memory alone.
I've often wondered if MS have ever regretted retiring the platform, given the number of streaming services that now exist these days and the continued interest in media centre software. Can't wait to give this a test drive when things are ready.  Wink
Will be great to re-ignite all that WMC nostalgia from 20 years ago.....Blimey, was it really that long ago!
look awesome! hope you will release an alpha version soon !
Thanks!

Way back when I used WMC for TV and then Kodi (XBMC) for movies/TV shows. Once Gotham came out I slowly tried to migrate over to Kodi. When support stopped for WMC I ended up selling my two WMC Extenders and went with Kodi full time.
Yes Sir! I've been waiting for this keep up the work my friend
RESERVED
Thanks! Will do. 

I added a video to the top post so you can get a better idea of how it works.

I really like the way that this is shaping up. Having the ability to go into movies for example and then being able to decide what I'm going to watch by either going to what's been recently added, in progress and I really like the quick search of movies. Also, I've been focused on getting Live TV working the way I remember. It is shaping up nicely but still a lot of work ahead.

If you have any thoughts on something I'm missing that you remember, let me know.
Can't wait to give this a go.
How important is being able to use the mouse to select things to everyone? I sometimes use a mouse, but not often. This skin gets a little wonky when adding mouse control to it.

I'm pretty sure that I can eventually get around it, but probably not going to worry about it on initial release.

I got the overall settings done as well as the info/configure screens for add-ons done.

(2022-11-16, 18:22)Doctor Eggs Wrote: [ -> ]How important is being able to use the mouse to select things to everyone? I sometimes use a mouse, but not often. This skin gets a little wonky when adding mouse control to it.
Mouse support would be nice, but I don't think it's that important, I use a keyboard or remote control. Thanks
jsyk the video got removed

Edit: nice work!
Thanks...and thanks!

I was trying to get it reinstated but Youtube denied my request. I'm going to do another video but not play any live tv or movies just to make sure that that wasn't the issue.

I'm currently working on the Season/Episode views for TV shows and want those in place before I try to add another video.
Where is your progress ?
Thank about greats work you do!
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6