Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can't play AV1 mkv but works with MPV (rapid flickering and transparent screen)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm using Kodi 19.1 on Debian11/KDE. It plays all video files just fine except for one. That one file can be played with other video players, I tried it with MPV.

I think this is an issue with the video codecs. It's AV1; Hybrid Open Matte; Opus playback. I thought AV1 was supported in Kodi 19. Isn't it?

__

I also tried changing nearly all video settings in the configs, including disabling hardware acceleration.

It also didn't detect the movies audio languages because I have some smart playlists for videos with audiochannels for another language which is one of the audiochannels in the video but the video is not displayed in this smart playlist.

There is no visible video and it just flickers to transparent so that the desktop can be seen and many mouses because there is that glitch that makes lines of mice if you move the mouse.

There are no error messages in the console or in the kodi logs
Hardware Acceleration for AV1 has only been added in v20. It was software decode only in v19.
Okay, I guess I then only need to wait for the next version to be available on Debian11. However, as I wrote I already tried disabling hardware acceleration and that didn't help. Is there way to make it work in v19?
You don't say what hardware you have, it could simply be that yor hardware is too weak to do software decode.
I don't have a graphics card but that really shouldn't be required. CPU and RAM are sufficient. MPV can play the file just fine.
Have you checked to make sure MPV is doing software decode? as perhaps it has working hardware decode.
I don't know how MPV makes the AV1 work or if whether it's using software decode (how to check for that), I don't even know how to open MPV's preferences for which there is no button in its screen. Its version is 0.32.0.
Well without knowing that you can't compare to Kodi as you may not be comparing like for like. So yes your CPU could be too weak for software decode, unless you know for a fact MPV is also doing software decode.
I'm using the default settings, there is no file (like a config file) in ~/.config/mpv/, the CPU is not the latest but fast enough for such a task, and when pressing ctrl+h it says "Hardware decoding: no" in mpv. If there's something else I could check, please explain what exactly (how to check if it's using software decode).
I don't know anything about MPV so can't advise on what needs to be checked. But it sounds like software decode could be used, I'm asking as AV1 requires a powerful CPU for software decode. Provide a debug log and we'll see what Kodi is doing with your file.
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum