Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Security runthrough for Libreelec on RPi4
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm running Kodi Matrix 19.1 on a Raspberry Pi 4 running the latest Libreelec update. The installation is default, but I would like a runthrough on what steps to take to improve security - password changes, turning off any unnecessary options, etc.

Are there any specific plugins that would enhance security? My main concern is not within my home, but external attack - I have an attached SSD that also has personal files as well as media content that is shared between a number of machines.
(2023-01-03, 19:34)Mickeyluv Wrote: [ -> ]I'm running Kodi Matrix 19.1 on a Raspberry Pi 4 running the latest Libreelec update.

Your own security checks are a little off, as LibreELEC currently runs 10.0.3 with Kodi 19.4 onboard.

As far as 'security' goes, LibreELEC runs on a plain vanilla Linux basis, and has an option to change the password for its SSH backdoor.
Sharing personal files (likely via SMB) is not one of LibreELEC's main functions. You should use a proper file server for that, including a decent firewall and security setup.
Thanks. I mistakenly had 19.1 in my head - yes, it's Matrix 19.4.

I am using an SMB share to access the SSD. It ended up on the RPi due to security problem with attaching it to my wireless router. I'll rethink that situation.
@Mickeyluv You need a Firewall. Read about pfSense.
There's a firewall built into my router firmware, but I don't think it's very sophisticated - no real configuration options. I'll take a look at pfSense.