Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Which Raspberry pi version
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all looking to add a raspberry pi to my network which has windows in different rooms and the server using a data base of MySQL. I want to put a pi in a room with a tv that has no system and would like to know which v4 memory to go with as there is 2gb, 4gb and 8gb models and not sure which to go for as I want to make sure kodi runs at its best.

Also can kodi from a pi access MySQL database like windows does. Is there any problems with the pi that it might not be able to run or any problems with a lot of art work and trailers playing in the menu screen as some skins have video playback in the skins.

And what about the size of the memory card.

Thanks for any help or advice.
LibreELEC runs good on a 2GB version already. If you plan to run a full OS on the RPi, more internal memory is recommended. SDcards from 8-32GB are sufficient. RPi4 also supports USB booting, so USB sticks come in handy. Or, use a USB3.0-to-SATA cable and you could connect an SSD. Accessing a MySQL server for Kodi is not a problem.

As far as "problems with a lot of art work and trailers playing in the menu screen" goes, every RPi has a decent GPU chip, but a simple CPU. Don't expect full blazing PC performance on a (once) $35 kid's toy.

The biggest hurdle for now is getting a RPi4 of any kind. There is still quite the shortage.
As noted above, this is a simple PC best suited to be a "one trick pony" rather than a desktop/laptop replacement, and being a media player "brain" for non-smart tvs is well-suited to it.
I'm running xbian kodi v19.5 on RasPi4-4GB and it is quite good...even with the original 1500MHz CPU. 
the 1800MHZ version that came along later might be 20% "more good" but unless the one I'm using fries/dies, it won't get replaced until kodi doesn't run on it anymore