Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problems with MySql and Mac client
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone!

I have a rpi4 kodi server + samba shares of movie/video with 3 clients (a linux laptop, another rpi4 client, and an iMac). They are all running a similar version of kodi (18.6-18.7), so the MySql databases are the same.

The samba shares work great among all clients and the movie libraries update correspondingly. MySql (via installation of "advancedsettings.xml") playback syncing is also working perfectly on my Linux laptop and rpi4 clients. My kodi server runs MySql using the docker addon in LibreElec.

On the iMac client (which runs Monterey on the M1 chip), however, kodi libraries are not getting populated, nor is any of the artwork. In fact, movie/video titles show up as zeroes (0) and if I try to play any media it tells me that the file no longer exists and if I wish to remove it.

I am puzzled.

I have done the exact same steps on all clients, including also importing the same "Templates13.db" file and "Thumbnails" folder (plus "sources.xml" and "mediasources.xml").
I should add that the media library loads up nicely into my Mac client if I disable "advancedsettings.xml" (thereby ignoring the MySql sync). But as soon as I include that file, my library turns into gibberish.

Is there possibly some minor difference in how "advancedsettings.xml" is written for macs vs. pcs?

Has anyone else ever had this issue? How did you solve it? Thank you very much!
sounds like the notorious samba issue on macOS that has been discussed many times on these forums. Please try to enforce SMBv1 as both min and max version in macOS Kodi client settings.
(2023-01-11, 14:39)lancercncs1 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a rpi4 kodi server + samba shares
Just to be clear: there is no such thing as a Kodi server. Kodi is a standalone client application which can run on a certain server OSes.
So which OS are you running on the RPi4 'server'? Also MySQL connections have no relevance to any SMB connections: different types and different ports are used.

(2023-01-11, 14:39)lancercncs1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there possibly some minor difference in how "advancedsettings.xml" is written for macs vs. pcs?
Nope. Just double-check for single/double linefeeds (but that is more a Windows thing)
(2023-01-11, 16:25)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]sounds like the notorious samba issue on macOS that has been discussed many times on these forums. Please try to enforce SMBv1 as both min and max version in macOS Kodi client settings.

Thanks! I will try that once I get home later in the afternoon...
(2023-01-11, 16:45)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-11, 14:39)lancercncs1 Wrote: [ -> ]I have a rpi4 kodi server + samba shares
Just to be clear: there is no such thing as a Kodi server. Kodi is a standalone client application which can run on a certain server OSes.
So which OS are you running on the RPi4 'server'? Also MySQL connections have no relevance to any SMB connections: different types and different ports are used.
(2023-01-11, 14:39)lancercncs1 Wrote: [ -> ]Is there possibly some minor difference in how "advancedsettings.xml" is written for macs vs. pcs?
Nope. Just double-check for single/double linefeeds (but that is more a Windows thing)

Yeah.. I am aware of the media player vs. server distinction. However, it is a "server" in the most general sense in that it provides "services" to all my client computers.. My LibreElec RPI4 server than runs kodi stores/serves all of my media plus does the additional service of syncing (through samba shares + MySql) to all my other client computers. 
That fits the definition.
One could create separate kodi media player instances without a central client/server but what's the fun in that?!  Smile

Ok, I am happy to hear that I did not mess up advancedsettings.xml for my mac client!
LibreELEC it is, okay. It has SMB and UPnP capabilities, and it can run a MySQL server. Separate devices have their perks, sure, but a working all-in-one solution has that as well.
(2023-01-11, 16:25)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-11, 16:25)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]sounds like the notorious samba issue on macOS that has been discussed many times on these forums. Please try to enforce SMBv1 as both min and max version in macOS Kodi client settings.

Unfortunately, forcing SMBv1 for both min and max (with or without legacy security on) did not work for me. I still have the same problem. Sad Any other ideas?
I suspect I have to open the MySql port (3306) but it is not letting me do so on Monterey... This is much easier to do on Linux. Confused
(2023-01-13, 02:44)lancercncs1 Wrote: [ -> ]I suspect I have to open the MySql port (3306) but it is not letting me do so on Monterey... This is much easier to do on Linux. Confused

If this helps anyone, I unblocked the MySql port to my Mac kodi cllient on my router, but that did not work either. I have no idea why MySql syncing is not working on my Mac client.
so, will you provide debug log? it might have some useful info.

you can also check https://kodi.wiki/view/Troubleshooting
(2023-01-14, 08:55)kambala Wrote: [ -> ]so, will you provide debug log? it might have some useful info.

you can also check https://kodi.wiki/view/Troubleshooting

Sure! I've provided my log file here. Is there anything here that can explain why MySql is not running correctly in my MacOS client? Thanks!

https://paste.kodi.tv/loyelerunu.kodi
Hmmm, does the music library work correctly, but the video library doesn't or do neither of them work?  I do vaguely remember a similar situation around Android where zeroes were appearing in the db.
(2023-01-15, 14:03)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Hmmm, does the music library work correctly, but the video library doesn't or do neither of them work?  I do vaguely remember a similar situation around Android where zeroes were appearing in the db.

Hi black_eagle! Yeah, it seems to have problems reading the video files + thumbnails from the video database. I also get the zeroes for my music files although (unlike the video files) I am able to play them... it's really weird.

I have tried dropping the databases from my docker and then have it repopulate... I also tried deleting the entire "userdata" directory from my mac client and letting it repopulate.. The problem remains the same. MySql syncing works fine with my Linux/rpi4 clients but not my MacOs one.
Right, well I found what I remembered regarding Android, which was that the connector wasn't working correctly.  See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18137  I don't know if this applies to Apple stuff, but as it looks like a similar error I guess it maybe could.  Perhaps @kambala could elaborate further.
(2023-01-15, 14:57)black_eagle Wrote: [ -> ]Right, well I found what I remembered regarding Android, which was that the connector wasn't working correctly.  See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/18137  I don't know if this applies to Apple stuff, but as it looks like a similar error I guess it maybe could.  Perhaps @kambala could elaborate further.

Yes, this do look like a similar problem.. Thanks for sending this to me! I wonder how this issue can be resolved on a Mac?
Pages: 1 2