Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Subtitles sometimes wrongly formatted if screen resolution below 1080p
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Okay, I think this is a bug, but am not sure, so I'm raising it here rather than on Github.

The issue is that subtitles are sometimes wrongly formatted. Here are two screenshots to illustrate the problem. First, from my OSMC Vero 4K+ (which is running Kodi v19.5 - OSMC is obviously derived from Debian Linux).

The line here should be "We've got pink champagne" - but something is causing the text to overflow and appear above and to the left instead of below.

A similar thing happens on my Amazon FireTV Stick 4K Max, which is running Android and Kodi v20. In this screenshot you can't see anything much except the subtitles - not sure why! - but it does at least show the problem.

Again, the top part of the subs should be being displayed below the bottom half, not above it.

(This the first time I have tried to include screenshots in a post here and I'm not sure if it worked correctly - bug me if it didn't!)

Here are some debug logs from the Vero 4K+: https://paste.osmc.tv/oyesidiboy

Logs from the FireTV Stick: https://paste.kodi.tv/sapujosaqu

The issue only manifests itself if the output resolution is below 1080p. This sample is from BBC iPlayer - Miranda, Series 2, Episode 6, between about 03:00 and 04:00 there are several examples. The video is 720p/50fps (I think - might be 720p/25) and the output resolution is 720p/50Hz. I have seen the same thing happen on other streaming services. I haven't seen it on a locally-streamed video, but that may well be because I don't have any locally stored videos with <1080p resolution.

EDIT: might have posted this to the wrong forum; maybe it should have been under Video Support?
Can any Team Kodi people comfirm that this is actually a bug? Should I be raising it on Github? Would it have been better raised on a different forum?
You already declared this problem yourself a bug by using the 'Bug' thread prefix. So why not enter a Bug Tracker ticket while you're at it?

As you may know, the whole subtitle routine thing in Kodi has been rewritten extensively for Kodi 20 Nexus. So different outcomes between v19 and v20 can be expected. AFAIK, v19 = fully EOL, so no more fixes are to be expected. If a certain sequence of subtitles is expected in your video but they are not displayed as such, then by all means, create a ticket via the Kodi bug tracker link at the top of the page.

I'm not sure which different forum you would want to raise this subtitle problem?

(2023-01-19, 19:33)Eleanor Wrote: [ -> ]EDIT: might have posted this to the wrong forum; maybe it should have been under Video Support?
I consider subtitles an independent part of Kodi. Video support typically handles video problems such as artifacts or other decoding problems.