Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: rpi4b 4k60fps?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi,

Wasn't sure if I should be posting this here or on the Rpi forums but giving it a go here first.

I have been running an rpi4b for almost a good year now and since day 1 I haven't been able to run my LibreELEC at 60fps. From the system settings i select my resolution but the refresh rate doesn't let me select anything higher than 30 when the resolution is at 3840x2160p.

My understanding is that rpi4b can do 4k60fps display. I have most of my content in H265 1080p/4k and some in H254 1080p. Movies and TV are usually 24fps or 30fps and so I haven't bothered diving into this now as my IPTV has both H265 and H264 feeds at 50fps/60fps. Understand that rpi4b can't decode H264 content above 30fps so it really is just making the H265 60fps content working for me

Below I have pasted a bunch of pictures showing my current settings in LibreELEC and as well my TV info display showing the output fps and as well pics of the video info on LibeELEC/Kodi. As a bonus I have a pic of showing the output fps options if I select resolution as 1080p in the systen settings.

Any help or advice on how I can achieve the 60fps display would be helpful. I am have tried multiple HDMI cables and am currently using a higher end cable based on the reviews left on the product page. TV is a fairly new Samsung QN88A model so it is fully capable of doing higher refresh rates.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Options with 2160 resolution selected
TV info panel showing 30fps
kodi video info showing refresh rate of video file and actual refresh rate of tv
tv info panel showing refresh rate matching the video file info above
ability to select higher refresh rates when resolution set to 1080p
Which distro are you using?  Did you add hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 to your /boot/config.txt file?  Finally, you may need to enable "advanced" or "enhanced" HDMI mode in your TV's setup.  Samsung and LG both have this and they name it something different.  Very annoying.
(2023-01-23, 12:05)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Which distro are you using?  Did you add hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 to your /boot/config.txt file?  Finally, you may need to enable "advanced" or "enhanced" HDMI mode in your TV's setup.  Samsung and LG both have this and they name it something different.  Very annoying.

Thank you for the reply. I have set "Input Signal Plus" on for the HDMI input i have my pi connected to. 

I have not modified the boot config file. Something I am not familiar with but will look into it and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks again for the reply and I hope to report back with positive news once i look into adding that line into the config.
(2023-01-24, 05:49)Rezasaurus Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-23, 12:05)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Which distro are you using?  Did you add hdmi_enable_4kp60=1 to your /boot/config.txt file?  Finally, you may need to enable "advanced" or "enhanced" HDMI mode in your TV's setup.  Samsung and LG both have this and they name it something different.  Very annoying.

Thank you for the reply. I have set "Input Signal Plus" on for the HDMI input i have my pi connected to. 

I have not modified the boot config file. Something I am not familiar with but will look into it and see if that resolves the issue.

Thanks again for the reply and I hope to report back with positive news once i look into adding that line into the config.
I don't see a way to edit my post so apologies for the double post back to back

So i added in the line in the config file as you had noted and i do not see an option to push 60 in the refresh rate menu option. i hope i added the line of code correctly (see image below)

as well, some more details on my TV panel, if i'm not mistaken eARC is HDMI 2.0 feature which means HDMI 3 slot below should have the capability. This is a new TV but a BestBuy Canada model so now i'm second guessing the panel and HDMI port capabilities. Though as noted i do have input signal plus enabled for this input slot

Lastly, here is the micro HDMI cable i am using. looking into it, it says 4k 60hz but HDMI 2.0. Not sure if this is the issue but I would definitely look to buy one if someone feels the HDMI cable could be the problem. just suggest one if you know any good ones please - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B08K8J7...=UTF8&th=1
(2023-01-24, 06:41)Rezasaurus Wrote: [ -> ]So i added in the line in the config file as you had noted and i do not see an option to push 60 in the refresh rate menu option. i hope i added the line of code correctly (see image below)

This image is not viewable.
(2023-01-23, 12:05)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Which distro are you using?

Also just post your /boot/config.txt

Here is an example:
Code:
# See /boot/overlays/README for all available options

display_auto_detect=1

# Run as fast as firmware / board allows
arm_boost=1

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
dtoverlay=
disable_overscan=1
disable_fw_kms_setup=1
hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
(2023-01-24, 13:31)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-24, 06:41)Rezasaurus Wrote: [ -> ]So i added in the line in the config file as you had noted and i do not see an option to push 60 in the refresh rate menu option. i hope i added the line of code correctly (see image below)

This image is not viewable.

apologies didn't realize all my pics from google photos are not visible. i have added them to an imgur album here - https://imgur.com/a/mN1j3KK
(2023-01-24, 13:37)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-23, 12:05)graysky Wrote: [ -> ]Which distro are you using?

Also just post your /boot/config.txt

Here is an example:
Code:
# See /boot/overlays/README for all available options

display_auto_detect=1

# Run as fast as firmware / board allows
arm_boost=1

dtoverlay=vc4-kms-v3d,cma-512
dtoverlay=
disable_overscan=1
disable_fw_kms_setup=1
hdmi_enable_4kp60=1

this is my config file

Code:
# SPDX-License-Identifier: GPL-2.0-or-later
# Copyright (C) 2009-2014 Stephan Raue ([email protected])
# Copyright (C) 2016-present Team LibreELEC (https://libreelec.tv)
################################################################################
# Bootloader configuration
# config.txt version v1 (do not remove or change this line!)
################################################################################
# For more options and information see
# http://rpf.io/configtxt

# Default GPU memory split, 76MB are needed for H264 decoder
gpu_mem=76

# Don't send initial active source message.
# Avoids bringing CEC (enabled TV) out of standby and channel switch when
# rebooting.
hdmi_ignore_cec_init=1

# Include distribution specific config file if it exists.
[all]
include distroconfig.txt

# uncomment to enable infrared remote recevier connected to GPIO 18
#dtoverlay=gpio-ir,gpio_pin=18

hdmi_enable_4kp60=1
Can you grab a debug log?
(2023-01-24, 20:58)popcornmix Wrote: [ -> ]Can you grab a debug log?
yes of course. please see here - http://ix.io/4m6W

also someone on reddit suggest i do the following. i just recently, 2 days ago updated to 10.0.4 version of libreelec. do let me know if this is something i should do and reshare the debug log.
Quote:cmdline.txt to force a video mode with video=HDMI-A-1:3840x2160@60?
Per the release notes? https://libreelec.tv/2023/01/15/libreele...ix-10-0-4/
Please ssh in, run the following command and post the output:you got

Code:
edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid

Also: are you sure that the HDMI port on your TV actually supports HDMI 2.0? There still seem to be some TVs being sold with HDMI 2.0 support only on some ports while the other ports are HDMI 1.4 (which will only give you 4kp30 on RPi4).

so long,

Hias
(2023-01-24, 22:02)HiassofT Wrote: [ -> ]Please ssh in, run the following command and post the output:you got

Code:
edid-decode /sys/class/drm/card0-HDMI-A-1/edid

Also: are you sure that the HDMI port on your TV actually supports HDMI 2.0? There still seem to be some TVs being sold with HDMI 2.0 support only on some ports while the other ports are HDMI 1.4 (which will only give you 4kp30 on RPi4).

so long,

Hias
here is my output - https://paste.kodi.tv/ojufamokos

the TV def has HDMI 2.0, especially since the input i am using is eARC capable which from my understanding is HDMI 2.1 technology. That said, here is the link to the TV i have
The EDID doesn't contain any 4kp50/60 modes (except in the 4:2:0 block which RPi doesn't support).

Search through your TV's HDMI port settings if you can find something like the HDMI Ultra HD Color or exctended HDMI support  - this is usually the cause for TVs not announcing 4kp60 modes.

so long,

Hias
(2023-01-24, 22:25)HiassofT Wrote: [ -> ]The EDID doesn't contain any 4kp50/60 modes (except in the 4:2:0 block which RPi doesn't support).

Search through your TV's HDMI port settings if you can find something like the HDMI Ultra HD Color or exctended HDMI support  - this is usually the cause for TVs not announcing 4kp60 modes.

so long,

Hias
the new Samsung TV's have renamed "HDMI Ultra HD Color" to "Input Signal Plus" which is enabled for the port i am using. As well i got on chat with Samsung support and they confirmed the port i am using is HDMI 2.1 as it is eARC capable.

anyone have any Micro HDMI cables they suggest? i feel the one i bought off amazon is false claims of supporting 4k60p. i feel this is the last option for me to test since the pi and my tv are capable.

thanks again for your help in troubleshooting this
The official RPi HDMI cable is working fine, if you buy some other cable make sure it's either HDMI Premium certified or specced to work with 18Gbps (which is basically the same thing). Anything not specced to work at 18Gbps (like the 9Gbps / 4kp30 cables) will very likely result in artefacts or "no signal".

But you really have to get your TV to announce 4kp60 modes in EDID first - otherwise the RPi won't use it.

Play around with TV settings, study the manual, reboot your RPi after you changed settings on TV and then check with edid-decode again.

If you got the settings right on your TV edid-decode should report these modes and a maximum dotclock of (at least) 600MHz instead of the 300MHz iit showed in the output you posted Also note that this is independent of the HDMI cable etc you use - the EDID always reports all available modes / capabilities of the TV.

Here's a snippet from my LG 55C8 OLED
Code:

Display Range Limits:
Monitor ranges (GTF): 58-121 Hz V, 30-136 kHz H, max dotclock 600 MHz
Video Data Block:
VIC 97: 3840x2160 60.000000 Hz 16:9 135.000 kHz 594.000000 MHz
VIC 96: 3840x2160 50.000000 Hz 16:9 112.500 kHz 594.000000 MHz
VIC 16: 1920x1080 60.000000 Hz 16:9 67.500 kHz 148.500000 MHz
VIC 31: 1920x1080 50.000000 Hz 16:9 56.250 kHz 148.500000 MHz

so long,

Hias
Pages: 1 2