Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi 20/21 DTS/Dolby Digital Transcoding
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've searched around a little bit but haven't really found any topics related specifically to this.

I have an LG CX which unfortunately doesn't have DTS licensing. I have my Nvidia Shield 2019 connected with HDMI directly to my TV and SPDIF running from the TV to my reciever. 
On Kodi 19.5 I'm using dolby digital transcoding successfully which allowed me to playback content which contained DTS and DTS-HD soundtracks as dolby digital instead.

However, when I switched to Kodi Nexus. (both v20 and v21) It stopped working. Im guessing something was changed in how the audio is handled/sent to the device.

I've tried fiddeling around a bit with the settings on my TV, Kodi and Shield menu but without success.

Anyone else in the same shoes as me? Im running another build of Kodi 19.5 alongside and it works just fine as soon as I switch to that. 

Thanks Smile
Transcoding is not working in the development Nightlies for v21 due the change in ffmpeg version which has a changed API. This is being worked on.

However there shouldn't be any issue in v20 Nexus. One possibility could be the Shield firmware if you has the 2019 version, as a new setting was introduced called Dolby Audio Processing which Nvidia in their wisdom decided to enable by default despite it messing up loads of stuff for media apps. If you have this then try disabling this setting.
Thanks for the reply!

Maybe I overlooked something when I was on v20 Nexus. (Did not try and switch off Dolby Audio Processing at that point)

Do you have the v21 github tracking number for ffmpeg API change/implementation fix?
So do you have it working now for v20?

For v21 we already had an issue report https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/22425 and the solution being considered is https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/22538
Hey

Yes, It's working on v20. I must've missed something last time around! I have Dolby Audio Processing on for reference. Smile

Thanks for the github links.
Dolby Audio Processing really shouldn't be on if you want to make best use of Kodi, as it will break Multichannel PCM, and can cause stutter on demanding 4k HDR video.
(2023-01-25, 00:11)jjd-uk Wrote: [ -> ]Dolby Audio Processing really shouldn't be on if you want to make best use of Kodi, as it will break Multichannel PCM, and can cause stutter on demanding 4k HDR video.
Does this apply only to the Shield "Dolby Audio Processing" setting? Because for my older setup I need DD 5.1 output. Would setting Kodi to 2.0 channels and enabling passthrough -> Enable dolby digital transcoding be the better solution that would potentially cause the least problems?
Only the Shield's internal setting is a problem. Avoid it IF you use passthrough from kodi.
The original issue described is long fixed. Dolby Transcoding, with setting speakers to 2.0 channels, was fixed in v21 and works well.

What you could try though (!) experimental:
- Set nvidia shield's Processing to On
- Inside kodi _disable_ all passthrough, just choose 7.1 speakers / 5.1 speakers whatever you have.

^^ This should make nvidia transcode the kodi sent PCM stream and output AC3 or whatever they need on your AVR. Obviously ATMOS will be gone with that combination.
@fritsch I'm pretty sure the Shield "Dolby Audio Processing" only outputs 2.0 if it's a non-Dolby codec hence why I advised previously to leave it off at all times.
I don't have a shield, so you might know better. On FireTV it will basically transcode all pcm streams to AC3 and do some whatever channel enhancements with it.
I know for certain the Multichannel PCM 5.1/7.1 is output as DD2.0 with it on, as there's been many posts on stereo only output with it on when multichannel flac is being played.
So then it would definitely be better to enable DD transcoding in Kodi and leave it off on the Shield. I am going to try that. The Fire TV definitely is different as @fritsch already said since it will actually transcode the stuff it gets to DD 5.1 when you set it that way.
(2023-04-04, 11:04)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]Dolby Transcoding, with setting speakers to 2.0 channels, was fixed in v21 and works well.

That true? The last v21 master I tried didn't have the transcoding option anymore.
Read my entire sentence:
"Dolby Transcoding, with speakers to 2.0 channels, was fixed in v21 and works well".

Kodi will only ever present this option in the settings if you have set 2.0 channels, else why would anyone transcode to AC3.

While this questions comes again for years:

AC3, DTS, EAC3 use 2 pcm channels as transport, containing "virtual" channels up to 7.1
So kodi's Transcoding option will therefore only be available when a user is "limited" to 2 pcm channels. Reason is clear: This user cannot output AAC 5.1, nor Flac 7.1 nor opus 6 channels, etc. - therefore we transcode that stuff to 5.1 AC3, which is _sent via 2 pcm channels_ only and the AVR / Soundbar / etc. properly receives the multichannel AC3.

Therefore set kodi's PCM settings to 2.0 - and the option will appear _if_ your device supports AC3.

And no - having wrong settings - was not the v21 issue.

See audio settings in wiki for detailed information about, or read the help text for starters inside the audio configuration (bottom lines).
(2023-04-04, 21:37)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]See audio settings in wiki for detailed information about, or read the help text for starters inside the audio configuration (bottom lines).
OR I could just type in my keywords in the forum search and include you as "search by username" and I get a good answer that is 10x better than any wiki. I just did that for a few things I didn't completely understand but now I do. So thank you. I know it must be annoying to answer the same questions 100 times.