Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Accessing movies from Synology NAS through UPnP
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I had Kodi installed on my Sony TV (android) and I was able to access movies from my Synology NAS through UPnP. I was able to see all the movies on Movies screen/area and the movie scrapper worked fine and showed the movie info and thumbnails. 

I have replaced my TV last month and since then facing this issue. 

It is the Sony Google TV. I installed Kodi on it which is the latest version (Nexus). I can access and watch the movies from my Synology NAS through UPnP but the problem is that they don't show up in the main Movies area/screen and the scrapper doesn't work. 

Am I missing any setting/configuration? 

Many thanks
Can anyone help please? 
Many thanks
(2023-01-24, 14:36)kewlsaint Wrote: [ -> ]I was able to see all the movies on Movies screen/area and the movie scrapper worked fine and showed the movie info and thumbnails. 
I have replaced my TV last month and since then facing this issue.
Hmm... UPnP is one of those technologies, like CEC, that a manufacturer often implements to its own view on how it should work. "Your mileage may vary", as they say.

(2023-01-24, 14:36)kewlsaint Wrote: [ -> ]It is the Sony Google TV. I installed Kodi on it which is the latest version (Nexus). I can access and watch the movies from my Synology NAS through UPnP but the problem is that they don't show up in the main Movies area/screen and the scrapper doesn't work. 
Have you by chance tried your Sony TV with a previous Kodi version, before installing Kodi Nexus?

(2023-01-24, 14:36)kewlsaint Wrote: [ -> ]but the problem is that they don't show up in the main Movies area/screen and the scrapper doesn't work. 
It's the scraper {one 'p'), and a Kodi debug log (wiki) may shed some light on this, not only the media unavailability but also the scraping issues. Usually with a direct connection to a Syno NAS, using a SMB or NFS connection instead of UPnP provides a simpler and faster solution. But we'll see whatever the log file coughs up.
@kewlsaint You will need to post a link to a debug log (wiki) for someone to be able to help you.  The instructions on how to do so are in the link.  Please follow them carefully.  Should you get stuck at any point, please provide details of how far you got and which part you are stuck on.

Thanks.
Thanks @Klojum and @black_eagle 

I had to find ways to get the log file and share here but after a bit of research, I have now uploaded the log file. Please see the link below and hope this will help find and resolve the issue of scraper not showing the movies info and thumbnail. 
https://paste.kodi.tv/isulakujef.kodi
With UPnP it's up to the server to provide all the media info, so you can't scrape UPnP spurces within Kodi. For Kodi to be able to scrape the media info then you need use a proper network file protocol such as SMB or NFS for sharing files from the NAS.
But it used to work previously. As I mentioned, it was the same setup through UPnP. 

Using SMB or NFS would require read/write access, as I understand, which I am not too keen on.
You've never been able to scrape UPnP sources, so it must have been the Synology UPnP server providing that before, or perhaps you had a skin tailored for UPnP sources.
follow up to jjd-uk:

please note the large red box under introduction - https://kodi.wiki/view/Adding_video_sources
Quote:For media files that are stored on network sources: UPnP cannot be used to create a library. It is recommended that you share your media using another protocol such as SMB.
Thanks for the opinions and help.

I spent some time over the weekend to explore the options and configured both Kodi and Synology NAS to use NFS. Glad to share that it is all working as expected now. 

PS. I am still 100% sure that my previous setup was through UPnP and the scraper did work with that :-)
Thread marked solved.