Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: After restoring from backup kodi became very slow
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
device - nvidia shield android tv

i reset kodi from the android tv menu (nvidia shield - apps - kodi - delete data),
then ran kodi to give permissions, then just copied the folder org.xbmc.kodi back over the network.
after that kodi started to slow down very much. help me understand the problem. what caused this and how to solve it.
thanks.
(2023-01-29, 01:51)jepsizofye Wrote: [ -> ]updated database may need to be regenerated for the new version
A database being 'regenerated'..? Oo
No. Updating takes place before Kodi's main screen is shown.

The only thing that could take time is (re)generated thumbs for movies and/or tv series and episodes.
Assuming you are not running the Kodi app from an inserted SDcard (which could start having storage problems), I see no immediate reasons for slowness.
(2023-01-29, 02:22)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]A database being 'regenerated'..? Oo
No. Updating takes place before Kodi's main screen is shown.
thanks for the correction i was unaware it does it "before" the ui is shown, i just assumed it was going 119 -> 121 in the background, most things do it that way.
i'm trying to figure out the logs right now. i've never worked with them before. can you tell me what the name of the .log file should be that can help you figure it out?
(2023-01-29, 01:51)jepsizofye Wrote: [ -> ]"started to slow down" can mean multiple things would you please clarify. playing media slow, navigating through kodi slow, accessing network slow, updating addons slow, scraping media slow?
you should be aware that many things are happening on a new installation, android is generating cache in the background, kodi is checking for updates + updating things, updated database may need to be regenerated for the new version
it would be best to perform several restarts of kodi allowing it to settle in a few minutes in between and at least 1 system restart before making judgements

including a debug log will also go a much longer way as nobody here can see exactly whats going on in your system without it

for example, when playing a movie, when i press the back button to open the player menu where you can select subtitles, it can take 5-10 seconds.
in this case the sound starts stuttering and video can freeze for a few seconds.

i will now try to restart the device and kodi.
the updates are fine, they are all installed.
the database is also okay.

the problem remained, although it was noticeably better.
(2023-01-29, 02:53)alexey318 Wrote: [ -> ]can you tell me what the name of the .log file should be that can help you figure it out?
The name itself is kodi.log, and also kodi.old.log, the log from the previous Kodi session.
You can also install the Kodi Logfile Uploader add-on. That's probably easier.