Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Location of system files
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, 
Just installed Kodi Nexus final on my OnePlus 5T running Lineageos 20, Android 13. The phone is rooted but, for the life of me, I cannot find where Kodi puts its settings files. I have a centralised Mysql database and need to edit advancedsetting.xml in the userdata folder. Even after adding a video source from within Kodi, I cannot find the sources.xml file. Can anyone help me in sorting this out? Thank you in advance.
(2023-01-29, 01:14)nanouk76 Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot find where Kodi puts its settings files
Does this help... https://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_data_folder
(2023-01-29, 01:37)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-29, 01:14)nanouk76 Wrote: [ -> ]I cannot find where Kodi puts its settings files
Does this help... https://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_data_folder
Thank you for taking the time but I had already checked. Image
The search continues...
org.xbmc.kodi sits in Android/obb but is empty Confused
(2023-01-29, 01:14)nanouk76 Wrote: [ -> ]and need to edit advancedsetting.xml in the userdata folder ... sources.xml file

These are not in the system/application folder. They are in Kodi's "profile" aka userdata folder.
For Android (unless some things changed with Android 11-12-13 and later), you should find them in /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/.
(2023-01-29, 11:10)Klojum Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-01-29, 01:14)nanouk76 Wrote: [ -> ]and need to edit advancedsetting.xml in the userdata folder ... sources.xml file

These are not in the system/application folder. They are in Kodi's "profile" aka userdata folder.
For Android (unless some things changed with Android 11-12-13 and later), you should find them in /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/.
I am very much aware of where files should be on Android platforms (long time Kodi user here, on Linux, Android, and Windows before I switched to Linux) but as I illustrated with a screenshot in post #4, /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi is empty. The strangest thing is that if I add a source, the setting is persistent (as the following screenshot shows) but where is it stored?
So something must have changed. Maddening...
(2023-01-29, 11:33)nanouk76 Wrote: [ -> ]but where is it stored?

Sorry, but that last screenshot is totally worthless. Try editing the video source location of "films", it should give you the full path.
Sorry to say but it is absolutely not worthless as the source "films" would not be there if I had not put it there... but I am happy to oblige :
Tells me nothing of where the setting is stored ...
Also on Android the data folder (.kodi) is a hidden folder - note the dot before kodi.

So ensure that whatever file manager you are using is set to display hidden files and folders.
File manager is already set to display hidden files and folders as per the below screenshot
@nanouk76 What if you use Kodi's built-in file manager and browse to the Profile directory there? You should be able to see the .xml configuration files then.
Built-in file manager indeed lists modified sources.xml. Still no idea where the xml files are ... Now to import my advancedsettings.xml, I will have to jumps through hoops. So impractical ... I would have imagined an easier access to the userdata folder, through a regular file manager, as used to be the case.
OK, found the location:
/root/data/media/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata, not /Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata which is in Internal Storage and is empty.
Good to know for future reference.