Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HORIZONZ: Discussion and Support Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Here is my comment as a new XBMC/Horizonz user:

- Vote for European languages support. Aeon/Horizonz fonts sure look nice, but they lack support for correct showing non-english DVD titles or plots.
- Could use some visual feedback for VolumeUp/Down (not sure if this lacks in Horizonz or XBMC)

Thanks for the awesome skin mod!
xb2iris Wrote:What you doing? don't promote the donation thingy, thats wrong, it's going to give me a bad name... please don't post people's names on here or PM people, that wouldn't be cool at all missy...

nyways, thanks for the other non-crazy comments!

Well, sorry to say it, but i did it. Can't change that now, but seriously, I want a new release around soon. I can't wait, seeing as most of the things this forum has asked for are added for Volume IV, and no one is going to help get what they asked for, which doesn't make sense to me. Well, I guess I have to join the band wagon and grow patience.

And it seems most people dislike the new Wide Icons. That's sad, considering you've obviously worked your ass off trying to make the masses happy. I know why you did it, and I understand, but seriously guys, he doesn't even have a computer to change things on, so why you breaking an idea down without trying it. I've been surprised on how many times my thoughts on a screenshot never translated to actually using it. For Instance, never liked the Info view, now it's my default! Go figure, give something a go before you comment!
digitalhigh Wrote:I dunno about the new view, iris...

To me, it looks forced. Like, you wanted so badly to include the wide icons that you just threw em in there however. Mad props for attempting it...but I just don't think it looks right.

Then again, I jumped on the "poster view all around" bandwagon when I first ran across Aeon, so the issue doesn't really affect me one way or another...

well, took me about a week, so i guess it wasn't took a bit more effort than that Smile, but yeah, i get what you mean... and to tell you the truth, i was ditching wide icons until this idea came up, and for me, its the best solution till something better comes up... but like BlackRose says, everything ur seeing looks better when you use it, take my word for it... but above all, 4 options for wide icon users is better than one crappy one...

nekrosoft13 Wrote:xb2iris, about the wide icons will the other view also remain that people will have choice between wide and normal?

I also see that you added watched/unwatched that is great!!

just one question, does the watch status also show up on the episode level? for example the "standard" default skin XBMC uses a check mark on Episode thumb to indicade if it was watched already.

speaking of donations, I can't donate any money have been payoff from work. But maybe I can donate something else? would you be interested in internal SATA HDD?

yeah, its a choice... Wide Icons or Poster Icons... yeah, the watch status shows up across the entire video section i.e. Movies and Tv Shows... hope thats cool... and yeah i get yah about ur donation issue... kinda in the same situation, except i don't have a pc... hehehe... so thanks for the kind offer of the hdd, but u'd pay a bit sending it over here... guess it kinda doesn't make sense getting an hdd when i don't have a working pc... but yeah, maybe i can sell it... hehehe... so if u want, thats cool... it'd be gladly abliged...

Doraemonn Wrote:Hey you know what? I'm no fan of wide icons, but I have to admit you've come up with a really interesting solution. Very eye-catching!

Regarding the ongoing donations issue, may I recommend some transparency by switching from a percentage of progress to an actual cash amount? I'm surprised at the recent 1% increase (from 54% to 55%). Did someone donate a dollar? I'm just asking since a $10 donation translating to 1% increase would suggest a target amount of $1000, which is pretty steep... How much are you after, exactly? Smile

Also, and please don't take thius in the wrong way, but when you say things like

"i do to man... u have no idea! it breaks me everytime I put together screenshots for y'all... sitting in this internet cafe messing about on an unstable version of the skin and not having the time to make it stable and releaseable... it sucks, but the time will come when all that changes..."

Makes me think hang on, if "time" is the issue, what are we donating for? Sounds to me like if you have time to go to this internet cafe' and take hi-rez screenies of this so-called "unstable" version, then you have both the time AND the hardware needed to make changes to the of XML. If that PC can run PhotoShop, I'm pretty sure it can run XBMC.

I'm not trying to be a dick, I respect your work and admire your skin... It's just that a lot of what you keep repeating is starting to sound a bit hollow, like you're just waiting around for us to send cash.

Please remember there's people out there like djh who bust their ass in a day job (in Japan I believe, you can only imagine the kind of pressure they put him under) and still have time to crack on with one of the most amazing skinning efforts I have ever seen. Without asking for a dime. I guess it puts things in perspective a little, is all.

Anyway good work, and good luck, and sorry for the rant.

thanks for the comment man... first positive one so far...

nyways, about the donation, not using monetary values because i was advised against it by the authorities that be... hehehe... nah, that 1% means that someone donated around 5 pounds between the period... looking for around 250 to 300 pounds, which is for a lo tech pc without a monitor... i'll use the old one from the blown pc even though its a 15 inch non-wide screen... it'll do... its actually like 55,3% or so... to be exact...

nyways... guess i made a mistake about the time thing... when u type long ass replies like i do, u tend to make mistakes... read back, probably 100's of them all over the place... but yeah, the pc is the issue, not time... i'm not doing anything with my time except looking after my kid and hitting this internet cafe every day to reply to messages and check email... so, times what i have a ton of... money nope... its a long messed up story... i do however start a new job 6 january... so, that'd change then, but it means i'd get paid end of january and that means, new hardware... yippee, can't wait... so, u can imagine the frustration... having all this free time and nothing besides a few odd bits to do... it sucks... but yeah, i'll deal with it...

also, all screeners are taken on this very computer... in an internet cafe... where it costs around a pound an hour... mentioned that quite a bit... so, as for changing xml... nope... takes to long... and i can't afford to spend tons of money in here... mockups are easy to make with the psd files and photoshop... and other screeners, well, take a few minutes... back-up of userdata folder... thus, only two tv shows in tv shows section... not good for screenshots though... it would be better having more, but i haven't had time to collect since starting horizonz... just the odd movie...

and about djh and aeon... he dissapeared for 6 months while this skin started... i worked until the end of october when i moved here... that was about a 60 hours a week on average job... and trust me, it was harder, based on the fact that my life was dramatic as hell last year... horizonz was a bit of an outlet... but i won't get into that coz, its a long story as i mentioned... did u ever read the consider donating topic in here... that'd explain why i've been asking for donations...

nyways... hope that answers everything... i'm one for marathons, so im sorry this message was this long... hope u understand better now dude
pletopia Wrote:honestly .. taking a look at those screenshots i'm not completely convinced they look that great .. like someone said above they just looked forced

i really still feel you should look into consolidating "poster" "showcase" & "info" these 3 view types are SOOO nearly the same viewtype

poster is the most different one because its got the background from list view .. and its centered in the screen

BUT .. Info and Showcase are exactly the same except for Showcase being a smidgen higher up and more reflective below the icons (thats why i use and prefer Info since it gives you more of the fanart in the back)

i know about simularity... but i'd like to keep things this way coz... showcase is indespensible as we know... info view is my modifyable view i'm going to constantly change until i'm happy, and poster is my favorite view at the moment... hehehe... so no room for killing views right now... but yeah, it seems everyone dislikes the new wide icons... but yeah, i guess i'll change something... probably delete it and try again although i'm outta ideas... sad day... guess whoever doesn't like them, use the posters instead for now... coz i can't obviously change them now... hehehe... and also, volume iv is already over delayed as it is...

Livin Wrote:don't like it... can barely see the icon

cool man... i'll scrap em...

migueld Wrote:xb2iris I love your work on horizons, and kudos for trying something new but the widecase view doesn't look too great IMO...

wish, okay... guess i'll try something else... no idea what though...

dynamix Wrote:I can agree with more users here: it's not my thingy that view. Still can't get used to those rounded frames...

How about something like this for a new widescreen view? Letting the info screen popping out of the middle of the wheel?

Another thing i had in mind:
I think Horizonz needs to get a more uniform look. What i mean is: the time/date bar and RSS bar have rounded corners, the new status bar has sharp corners, your new frames have the rounded corners again...

Thanks for putting in much effort to show us your thoughts on Horizonz, xb2iris!

i get yah, but the order of the day was to get this thing done, and then do a super dooper graphic overall on it... and with the most awarded interface designer on devaintart sounding interested in doing the graphics come next year, i'm sure the results will blow the minds of everyone including djh_... can't mention names yet, but he's great... now the question... will it happen... no idea... but horizonz until now has been created based on user input... soon, me and hoepfully a sidekick will let out imaginations go wild... lets see what happens... the option of finding a new hobby is also in the bag right now... so who knows what's gonna happen!?!
pecinko Wrote:Here is my comment as a new XBMC/Horizonz user:

- Vote for European languages support. Aeon/Horizonz fonts sure look nice, but they lack support for correct showing non-english DVD titles or plots.
- Could use some visual feedback for VolumeUp/Down (not sure if this lacks in Horizonz or XBMC)

Thanks for the awesome skin mod!

all done already!!! yipee... but a better font than the shortlisted ones is needed i think... any ideasHuh

BlackRose Wrote:Well, sorry to say it, but i did it. Can't change that now, but seriously, I want a new release around soon. I can't wait, seeing as most of the things this forum has asked for are added for Volume IV, and no one is going to help get what they asked for, which doesn't make sense to me. Well, I guess I have to join the band wagon and grow patience.

And it seems most people dislike the new Wide Icons. That's sad, considering you've obviously worked your ass off trying to make the masses happy. I know why you did it, and I understand, but seriously guys, he doesn't even have a computer to change things on, so why you breaking an idea down without trying it. I've been surprised on how many times my thoughts on a screenshot never translated to actually using it. For Instance, never liked the Info view, now it's my default! Go figure, give something a go before you comment!

thats makes sense... but yeah... stop ur PMing!
BlackRose Wrote:Well, sorry to say it, but i did it. Can't change that now, but seriously, I want a new release around soon. I can't wait, seeing as most of the things this forum has asked for are added for Volume IV, and no one is going to help get what they asked for, which doesn't make sense to me. Well, I guess I have to join the band wagon and grow patience.

Dude...you really enjoy Horizonz. Like...I'd be kinda scared if I were x2biris kinda "enjoy". I mean; it's my default skin, I spend a large majority of my freetime making backdrops for it, and I visit these forums several times daily for information on Horizons (and Aeon Stark)...yet you've totally got me whooped.

And...in regards to your statement about "he doesn't even have a computer"...I disagree *slightly*. All you need to edit xml is notepad or a similar text editor. I know you couldn't do full-blown testing from a cafe, but to make small changes and implement them shouldn't be that big of a deal.

X2biris - I understand the fact that you're low on cash and it's a pay-to-use cafe...as well as what it's like to try and do ANYTHING while watching a kid. Big Grin

So I'm not complaining about the timing. It's totally understandable...

Back to you, Blackrose...

Quote:but seriously guys, he doesn't even have a computer to change things on, so why you breaking an idea down without trying it.

So yeah, he does have at least a halfassed computer to change things on. Where do you think the PS mockups are coming from? And he asked for a critique of the new idea. It does a designer no good whatsoever if nobody comments on a new concept, or even worse, just says "that looks great" without offering anything constructive on the topic. Kissing the designer's as$ doesn't help anything progress.

Hope you get what I'm saying, X2B. Obviously, I'm not trying to be disrespectful to you...just make a point.
This donate PM thing is getting too much. All I can say is Aeon "Stark" is coming.
From an early sneak pre-view of it an early ver, i know djh is gonna drop a bomb..
Man, if you thought that version was good. Was any of it even there then?
djh_ Wrote:Man, if you thought that version was good. Was any of it even there then?

Barely. You couldn't even set the backdrop folders. Skyline was a nice thing to behold in real life tho. Big Grin
Just getting started with XBMC and love what I see for the Horizon mod. Question is how to install? I extracted the files to the AEON skin folder but I don't get the option of the new views? Was I supposed to overlay Aeon?

TIA
Should be extracted into it's own folder, not the Aeon folder.

Make a folder called horizonz, and put everything in that. Should work then. Big Grin
digitalhigh Wrote:Should be extracted into it's own folder, not the Aeon folder.

Make a folder called horizonz, and put everything in that. Should work then. Big Grin

Thanks...worked like a charm...I LOVE THIS MOD...
xb2iris Wrote:all done already!!! yipee... but a better font than the shortlisted ones is needed i think... any ideasHuh

Got me on this, I'm no font expert.. Verdana maybe, though it's a little wider
xb2iris Wrote:i get yah, but the order of the day was to get this thing done, and then do a super dooper graphic overall on it... and with the most awarded interface designer on devaintart sounding interested in doing the graphics come next year, i'm sure the results will blow the minds of everyone including djh_... can't mention names yet, but he's great... now the question... will it happen... no idea... but horizonz until now has been created based on user input... soon, me and hoepfully a sidekick will let out imaginations go wild... lets see what happens... the option of finding a new hobby is also in the bag right now... so who knows what's gonna happen!?!

I really like the sound of that! Hope he/she is willing to collaborate with you.

Maybe progress isn't as you've planned at the moment, but you will get there with Horizonz, i'm convinced you will Nod
Ouch whoever that was. I can assure you I have more of a life than you do!