Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Lots of "shield-ask-remote" in logs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2019 Nvidia Shield Tube which has a Harmony Hub connected to it.  As part of my troubleshooting, I have already disconnected the standard Shield remote.

I've been seeing/hearing periodic stutters in playback on kodi and I am trying to identify the source of the issue.  One thing I've noticed is that if I look at the log right after I experience the stutter, one of the last things logged tends to be a message related to shield-ask-remote.  I don't have a log were I can identify a specific instance of the stutter, but I have a log which mentions "shield-ask-remote" multiple times.  Is it normal for a device to be added and removed so many times?  Is it a sign of some sort of bluetooth issue?
https://paste.kodi.tv/gomisokepi.kodi
52 shield-ask-remote messages in this less than 2 hour log.
https://paste.kodi.tv/esehohoqid.kodi

It seems to mostly happen when streaming content in 24 fps. This happens even if remotes are completely powered off. Could the shield hardware be faulty or is this more likely software/firmware?
In the shield I cleared all bluetooth devices, I cleared data from the bluetooth app and I re-paired the harmony hub, but still have the same thing happening in kodi.  I've managed to get a debug log this time, but nothing stands out to me.  Since it keeps incrementing the android/inputdevice value, I suspect that this is initiate by the shield itself, but I'm not sure that there's any logging on the shield to clarify that.  

https://paste.kodi.tv/jimasusato.kodi
After repairing the remotes, try disabling Bluetooth in the Shield. The paired remotes should keep working, but there will be no more background browsing for other BT devices. It's a long shot, and probably will not make a difference.
Thanks for the suggestion @Klojum. I do already have "Allow all bluetooth pair requests" disabled on the shield and I think that is as far as I can go with it, but please let me know if you are aware of any other settings. I also disabled CEC on my TV in case it was causing issues and I've just now unpaired my Shield phone app in case it is responsible. It appears that the phone app connects over the network rather than Bluetooth.

Edit: I've also disabled the Chromecast app on the shield, but the issue persists.

Edit 2: Also pulled the SD card which wasn't being used any way. No change. Going to try changing the HDMI cable next...
Unfortunately my other HDMI cables do not appear to have the throughput required for 4k @ 60 Hz (lots of flickering).  The symptoms seemed to improve by switching the existing HDMI cable to a different HDMI input, but they haven't ceased completely.  I've got a higher spec HDMI cable on order and will hopefully be able to try it sometime in the next couple days.  In the meantime, I was wondering if anybody knows what Kodi expects "shield-ask-remote" to be?
No joy with the new HDMI cable, either. I'm also trying to engage with Shield support to see if they can identify the issue. If anybody can suggest a better method than their forums, I would appreciate it.
So I provided logs to Nvidia and they said it was from the Alexa service on the shield. I don't knowingly have any Alexa devices on my network, so this is a head scratcher. In response, I turned on developer mode on the shield and used wifi adb commands (because it is a tube without USB) to disable
Code:
com.nvidia.shield.ask
and these logs and stutters seem to have stopped. Odd, but hopefully my experience will be helpful if anybody else if they encounter this behavior.
also for future users reading this, com.nvidia.shield.ask = shield alexa skills kit https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...shield.ask
(2023-03-04, 16:42)knappster Wrote: [ -> ]So I provided logs to Nvidia and they said it was from the Alexa service on the shield. I don't knowingly have any Alexa devices on my network, so this is a head scratcher. In response, I turned on developer mode on the shield and used wifi adb commands (because it is a tube without USB) to disable
Code:
com.nvidia.shield.ask
and these logs and stutters seem to have stopped. Odd, but hopefully my experience will be helpful if anybody else if they encounter this behavior.
I have similar hang ups with nvidia shield pro 2019. Could you please explain exactly how to disable alexa in developer mode.
(2023-03-05, 12:11)etgecata Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-03-04, 16:42)knappster Wrote: [ -> ]So I provided logs to Nvidia and they said it was from the Alexa service on the shield. I don't knowingly have any Alexa devices on my network, so this is a head scratcher. In response, I turned on developer mode on the shield and used wifi adb commands (because it is a tube without USB) to disable
Code:
com.nvidia.shield.ask
I have similar hang ups with nvidia shield pro 2019. Could you please explain exactly how to disable alexa in developer mode.
I'll do my best to provide step-by-step directions.  Lots of this is documented elsewhere if my directions aren't very clear, though.
  1. If you don't already have it, download and unzip the Android SDK platform-tools package here: https://developer.android.com/studio/rel...form-tools
  2. On your shield, open the settings, device preferences, about, then click the build a bunch of times until it notifies you that you are now a developer
  3.  Now in the device preferences, there should be a "Developer Options" selection.  Click on that and then enable "Network Debugging".  Make note of the IP address of your shield.
  4. On your PC, browse to the platform-tools folder.  Type
    Code:
    adb connect aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd:5555
    where aaa.bbb.ccc.ddd is the IP address of your shield.  Your shield will prompt you to approve the debug connection, so allow it to connect (I would also suggest checking the box to always allow the connection from this computer)
  5. On your PC, type
    Code:
    adb shell pm disable-user -user 0 com.nvidia.shield.ask
    This should disable the alexa skill.  If you change your mind or encounter any issues, you can always re-enable it with
    Code:
    adb shell pm enable com.nvidia.shield.ask
  6. When you are done you can disconnect the PC from the shield with
    Code:
    adb disconnect

Here is a list of everything I've disabled using this method thus far
Code:
adb shell pm list packages -d
package:com.nvidia.shieldtech.hooks
package:com.nvidia.shield.ask
package:com.nvidia.tegrazone3
package:com.google.android.tv
package:com.google.android.music
package:com.google.android.tvrecommendations
package:com.nvidia.benchmarkblocker
package:com.nvidia.irtuner
package:com.google.android.tvlauncher
package:com.google.android.youtube.tvmusic
package:com.google.android.videos
package:com.nvidia.ControllerMapper
package:com.amazon.music.tv
package:com.google.android.play.games

Edit: added port 5555 to adb connection command.
Thanks for the comprehensive answer. I've been struggling with intermittent dropouts when using the Netflix add-on for a long time. I will try disabling Аlexa.
Good luck. You may want to review logs and consider posting a debug log in the Netflix addon thread as well. I started checking the Kodi logs from my phone's x-plore app when I would experience the audio dropouts and kept seeing the shield-ask-remote messages.

I should also note that I installed flauncher and made it the default android tv launcher before disabling com.google.android.tvlauncher
right on @knappster nicely written up

and ill add some more information for following users - https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb