Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Cannot copy playercorefactory.xml to userdata.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi, I have the problem of not being able to copy playercorefactory.xml to the userdata folder. I have tried to copy it inside of kodi, then i tried to copy it using mixplorer, then I tried to copy it with total commander and I even tried it with adb shell. Unfortunately, none of them worked and they all seemed to spit out more or less the same error that they didn't have access to that folder. I am using a Xioami 11 Lite 5G NE and android version 13 MIUI Global 14.0.4. Not being able to do this makes me very sad because before the android 13 update it was pretty easy to copy this file using kodi's built-in file manager. I was using mxplayer and really liked the PIP functionality. I will attach the log that kodi gave in the paste link. I would be very delighted if someone could help me with this because right now I can't enjoy kodi to the fullest extent. Thanks for the help!

https://paste.kodi.tv/atapujanuz.kodi
shield users have been having to set special permissions as of android 11, because of android not shield

try the same procedures and see what happens - https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/.../a_id/5303

where it says file management app supplement "kodi"
I tried it, and it didn't work unfortunately. I will upload the log, but I suspect it will say quite the same thing.
I gave it the permissions: Microphone, Music and audio, Notifications, Photos and videos. There were no other permissions I could grant.

https://paste.kodi.tv/diqixeduxe.kodi
it looks like android 13 requires additional permissions that kodi is not requesting because kodi is not targeting android 13

https://developer.android.com/about/vers...ermissions

the android manifest for kodi is not requesting those permissions - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/blob/master...est.xml.in

so my expectation is that kodi is not yet compatible with android 13

you will need to wait for an official answer from an actual team-kodi member as i can only speculate on the above
And is there anything I can do right now?
I have already succesfully granted a permission called android.permission.DUMP for an app called wavelet. I am not really a guru on this, so I don't really know if it's the same level of permission or something. If I can, then can you tell me the names of the permissions?
If not, when is an android 13 expected to be released?
from the link i noted from android
Quote:Granular media permissions
The 2 buttons for the dialog, from top to bottom, are Allow and Don't
  allow
Figure 1. System permissions dialog that the user sees when you request the READ_MEDIA_AUDIO permission.
If your app targets Android 13 or higher and needs to access media files that other apps have created, you must request one or more of the following granular media permissions instead of the READ_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission:

Type of media    Permission to request
Images and photos    READ_MEDIA_IMAGES
Videos    READ_MEDIA_VIDEO
Audio files    READ_MEDIA_AUDIO
when it comes to answering on behalf of team-kodi i must refrain
Well, I have tried everything. I granted this MF every existing permission, but it still doesn't work. I hate how android is becaming more and more locked down and you have to be a programming genius to do simple things like copy files. I mean, I am not completely inept in this department because I can grant the permissions, but you really have to know your stuff to copy a file to another folder, like really??
Anyway, excuse my rambling and thanks for the help. It seems like the I will have to wait for the devs to update the app to android 13.
no worries

agreed its getting to where only the manufacturer can change things - period.

just keep tabs on this post and maybe have a look around the github issues in case something is useful to your setup - https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues
@sniperspy60 try again with adb:

Code:
adb push playercorefactory.xml /storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/

It should work
Unfortunately the error I get is "playercorefactory.xml: 1 file pushed, 0 skipped. 6.4 MB/s (5903 bytes in 0.001s)
adb: error: failed to copy 'playercorefactory.xml' to '/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/userdata/playercorefactory.xml': remote couldn't create file: Permission denied".
I have a similar problem with trying to copy advancedsettings.xml to USERDATA.  I just got a new tablet and Samsung SmartSwitch didn't copy this file over and nothing I have have tried with myriad programs has been able to copy or even create the file.
Sorry, I'm still on Android 9 TV and it still allows access with adb. In the most recent versions of Android only the app itself can access these folders.

Another way to copy the file is use Kodi's internal file manager and copy it from a remote source (for example a Windows shared folder) to the Profile directory.
I have tried to use kodi's internal file manager to no avail. What I haven't tried to do is use a remote location. I just had the file in my downloads or root folder. If you think using a remote location could help, I will try that, though I'm pretty skeptical because I think the problem lies elsewhere.
(2023-02-26, 12:20)sniperspy60 Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried to use kodi's internal file manager to no avail. What I haven't tried to do is use a remote location. I just had the file in my downloads or root folder. If you think using a remote location could help, I will try that, though I'm pretty skeptical because I think the problem lies elsewhere.

That worked for me.  I was FINALLY able to copy advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml into the Anroid/data/userdata folder on my tablet using Kodi File Manager.  Set up a new source from my Windows directory where I had a backup copy of the files and then was able to copy the files to my tablet.
(2023-02-26, 18:49)Barry D. Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-02-26, 12:20)sniperspy60 Wrote: [ -> ]I have tried to use kodi's internal file manager to no avail. What I haven't tried to do is use a remote location. I just had the file in my downloads or root folder. If you think using a remote location could help, I will try that, though I'm pretty skeptical because I think the problem lies elsewhere.

That worked for me.  I was FINALLY able to copy advancedsettings.xml and sources.xml into the Anroid/data/userdata folder on my tablet using Kodi File Manager.  Set up a new source from my Windows directory where I had a backup copy of the files and then was able to copy the files to my tablet.

This is the answer, in android 13, unless the app is specifically requesting to be used as a file manager, an app will only have access to it's own folder. This means that you cannot use Kodi to copy from a different folder on Android, into Kodis data folder.

The workaround is using a remote/network location as your source to copy from.
Pages: 1 2