Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Passthrough and AVR questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello - I've searched the forums and read some stuff but haven't found the exact info that I am looking for. It seems I am not as well versed in this stuff as many of you. Hopefully someone can help educate me...

When watching movies, I set my AVR to "straight" and I have the Passthrough setting turned on in KODI. When I do this, all of the little icons for 5.1 Dolby Digital show up on the AVR. All good.

At least in one room. In the other room (same settings), the DD 5.1 indicators  don't show up any more. Only L, R & SW show up. I think the change happened after a FireTV OS update. In this room, Kodi is installed directly on the Toshiba Fire TV.  In the working room, I am using a FireTV Stick, 4K.

My questions are;
1) Is this issue known - FireTV OS 7.6.2.4 (PS7624/3337) breaks Passthrough?
2) If I just use the DD 5.1 DSP on my AVR in this room, is that any different than using Passthrough?

I have it in my mind that Passthrough is always best, but is there any difference when just turning on the DSP on the AVR?
FireTV OS when set to best available chooses by itself to decode AC3 and output it as LPCM, not transparent for the caller.