Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Black screen when Kodi is launched on FireStick
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good morning everyone
I’ve been struggling with this for a little while now.

Basically when I come back to my TV and change to the Firestick input page. Kodi has closed down and when I try to launch it I get a never ending black screen. I have to force stop, clear cache and launch to get it working again. It then works fine until I turn the tele off or watch a different input on the TV

I have done a clean install and that hasn’t solved anything. I have cache and packages cleared on start up but no avail.
I’ve also tried different Kodi builds.
My own build and generic skin with less add ons etc and that doesn’t help either.
It’s a Firestick 4K max running Kodi 20.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
@samcuddy123  Welcome to the forum.

Firstly the Android OS has a method for handling apps that go into the "background" so on occasion if you exit Kodi via the Firestick home button the OS may try to close it down less elegantly. I would always advise closing down Kodi via the shutdown menu itself to try and avoid this.

I would suggest you supply a link to your Debug Log if you are struggling but the fact that you mention you have "tried different Kodi builds" and "My own build and generic skin with less add ons etc" suggests you may have addons and repos installed that fall foul of our Forum Rules, piracy policy (wiki) and Banned Add-ons (wiki) policy. If I'm wrong then feel free to supply a log but if you do have those sort of things installed unfortunately you won't be eligible for support here unless they are removed.
There are a couple known issues on this: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/issues/20620
(2023-03-04, 13:23)samcuddy123 Wrote: [ -> ].... My own build and generic skin with less add ons etc and that doesn’t help either. ...
It’s a Firestick 4K max running Kodi 20.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
if you are in fact building your own apk from github source:

this particular issue has to do with how kodi goes to org.xbmc.kodi/.Splash when the app is running in the background
if you switch it around to go to org.xbmc.kodi/.Main kodi will come back without crashing
youll lose splash screen though

you can test this behavior with "am start org.xbmc.kodi/.Splash" vs "am start org.xbmc.kodi/.Main"

if you are Not in fact building as a dev would, kindly disregard this and see what has already been posted

(note i am not team-kodi, i am an independent entity)
Thanks for this I am not building as a Dev woild but is there anyway on a Firestick to get rid of or skip the splash screen?
As this seems to be the only way I can get rid of this issue.
Thanks
Sam
(2023-03-04, 17:34)samcuddy123 Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks for this I am not building as a Dev woild but is there anyway on a Firestick to get rid of or skip the splash screen?
As this seems to be the only way I can get rid of this issue.
Thanks
Sam

change the code before compile is what im suggesting
@quietvoid maybe update that github issue with the information i provided regarding the behavior can be avoided entirely if starting kodi from .Main instead of .Splash if it is already running in the background
As I’m on Firestick mainly. Is it possible I can use adbLink and ADB shell to get this to change from splash to main?
If so the command lines wild be greatly appreciated?
I’d need a much deeper tutorial to do it before compiling as it’s not something I’ve dealt with before.
Thanks
@samcuddy123

when you said you used custom builds i mistook you for a developer compiling from source and applied suggestions based on that mistake
please disregard all the information i provided as it is not of any value to you
there is no command that can change the behavior of a precompiled app on android

please follow the advice provided by @Dangelus and until team-kodi has provided an official fix for this closing kodi completely from the shutdown menu when not in use is the accepted workaround for the time being
(2023-03-04, 17:28)jepsizofye Wrote: [ -> ]this particular issue has to do with how kodi goes to org.xbmc.kodi/.Splash when the app is running in the background
if you switch it around to go to org.xbmc.kodi/.Main kodi will come back without crashing
youll lose splash screen though

you can test this behavior with "am start org.xbmc.kodi/.Splash" vs "am start org.xbmc.kodi/.Main"
Launching the app with either Splash or Main opens Kodi correctly from background.

It's only when using the app shortcut that it fails and resets.
must be the launcher then.

the behavior i observed was the same as described, pressing home then relaunching from the shortcut causes issues in various scenarios.
the fix i applied was to not relaunch from the launcher when the kodi process is active and instead launch from "am start org.xbmc.kodi/.Main" in an adb shell session
so my perception was that .Splash was causing issues if the process was already active and i never tried  "am start org.xbmc.kodi/.Splash" in an adb shell session as a fix

the search for the issue remains i guess...