Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: python38.dll is not found
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi, I'm developing an add-on which depends on an addition module "cryptography". I've got an error message during the add-on initialization: "ImportError: DLL load failed while importing _rust: the specified module could not be found."

With the help of ProcessMonitor, I have found out the missing DLL is "python38.dll", which is the last DLL kodi.exe tried to load and failed during the add-on initialization. I have checked kodi's installation directory and could not found "python38.dll" but only "python3.8.dll". I'm a newbie to python,  I totally have no idea what is the difference between "pythong38.dll" and "python3.8.dll".

Could someone please tell me how to resolve the issue? Thanks.
Thread moved to addon development
How did you build cryptography?  From the docs I read "Cryptography ships statically-linked wheels for macOS, Windows, and Linux".  I'm thinking that's not going to work on kodi.

scott s.
I didn't build cryptography. I dowloaded its wheel (as well as its dependencies' wheels) with such a command "pip3 download cryptography --platform=x86_amd64 --no-deps", unzipped the wheels and placed them into the add-on directory.