Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Questions about specific .nfo tags
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have some questions about some tags in the .nfo files

First of all, it does not hurt for a tag to be empty, correct?  So for example, I do not know the actors in my SCUBA diving slide shows (the fish would not give me their names), so is 
<actor>
</actor>

OK?

Exactly what is the <tag> tag?

Exactly what is the <credits> tag?

It is OK if the <premiered> tag only has the year?
(2023-07-08, 01:28)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]First of all, it does not hurt for a tag to be empty, correct?
<actor></actor>
<actor/>
Or just leaving the tag out are all acceptable.

(2023-07-08, 01:28)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly what is the <tag> tag?
https://kodi.wiki/view/Video_library_tags
Create your own tags to group movies or tv shows. eg "Vampire", "Italian", "Weddings"

(2023-07-08, 01:28)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly what is the <credits> tag?
Usually the writer

(2023-07-08, 01:28)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]It is OK if the <premiered> tag only has the year?
No. Needs the full date. If you don't know it, then use 2022-01-01.
(2023-07-08, 02:54)Karellen Wrote: [ -> ]
(2023-07-08, 01:28)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]Create your own tags to group movies or tv shows. eg "Vampire", "Italian", "Weddings"
At what level does this work, and what is the scope?  If I create the tag <tag>Vampire</tag>, do I still nead to create a tag <genre>Vampire</genre>  elsewhere in the .nfo file?  If so, does it matter where in the file the <genre> tag is listed (after the <tag>?)?  Will creating this custom tag once make it available to all other .nfo files in the library, or must it be done in every .nfo file?  I see I can create tags from the UI, but with multiple instances of KODI running, that is not ideal, unless the alternative is to create the tag in every relevant .nfo file.
(2023-07-09, 21:35)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]If I create the tag <tag>Vampire</tag>, do I still nead to create a tag <genre>Vampire</genre>
No, you don't need to. Vampire is not really a "genre", but "Supernatural" is. But your choice how you want to use them.

(2023-07-09, 21:35)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]If so, does it matter where in the file the <genre> tag is listed (after the <tag>?)?
No it doesn't matter.

(2023-07-09, 21:35)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]Will creating this custom tag once make it available to all other .nfo files in the library, or must it be done in every .nfo file?
Must be added to every nfo file that you want included in that tag. Otherwise how does Kodi know you want a particular film in Vampires?
Quote:No, you don't need to. Vampire is not really a "genre", but "Supernatural" is. But your choice how you want to use them.
What is the difference?  More to the point, how does one differentiate?
Quote:Must be added to every nfo file that you want included in that tag. Otherwise how does Kodi know you want a particular film in Vampires?
That is not quite clear.  What must be added?  Do both <tag>Vampire<tag> and <genre>Vampire<genre> get added to every relevant .nfo file, or does using the <tag>Vampire<tag> in one file create it for use generally?  Obviously, any video that qualifies, except possibly the "first" one, would have to use one of the two, or possibly both.  I did not write the code, so I don't know, but it certainly would be possible for KODI to create the tag based upon the first time it gets included in the library, enabling the tag itself to be used thereafter.  It also would be possible for it to be written so that the <tag> tag and only that must be used every time one wishes to include a custom tag.  It is also possible that the <tag> tag creates the tag for only that video, and then one must also include the <genre> tag to make it a genre.  Perhaps something else; I don't know.  The Wiki certainly does not make it clear.
(2023-07-10, 21:26)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]What is the difference?  More to the point, how does one differentiate?
The difference is that Genres are predetermined by the information providers, and generally widely accepted as being a genre.
Tags, also known as keywords, are anything you want them to be. Use them any way you want, and there will probably be some overlap with genres, depending on how you choose to use them.
Leave Genres to what is being scraped, use Tags for your own personal lists.

Here are the genres used by IMDB, TMDB and TVDB...

IMDB:
https://www.imdb.com/feature/genre/

TMDB
Image Image

TVDB

(2023-07-10, 21:26)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]That is not quite clear.  What must be added?  Do both <tag>Vampire<tag> and <genre>Vampire<genre> get added to every relevant .nfo file, or does using the <tag>Vampire<tag> in one file create it for use generally?  Obviously, any video that qualifies, except possibly the "first" one, would have to use one of the two, or possibly both.  I did not write the code, so I don't know, but it certainly would be possible for KODI to create the tag based upon the first time it gets included in the library, enabling the tag itself to be used thereafter.  It also would be possible for it to be written so that the <tag> tag and only that must be used every time one wishes to include a custom tag.  It is also possible that the <tag> tag creates the tag for only that video, and then one must also include the <genre> tag to make it a genre.  Perhaps something else; I don't know.  The Wiki certainly does not make it clear.
You are starting to confuse me. I don't really know what you are after.
Yes, you only need to add the tag and/or genre to a single movie, then that tag and/or genre gets created in Kodi and becomes available and visible in Kodi. Of course only that one movie will be listed in that tag or genre, so you then need to add other movies to that tag or genre if required.
If you have 10 Vampire movies, but you only add one vampire movie to the <tag>Vampires</tag> tag, then only one movie will be displayed in that tag in Kodi. You still need to add the other 9 Vampire movies to that tag. Same for Genre.
I think we may be getting closer, but I am not sure.  For example, I would like  to be able to pull up all my videos involving SCUBA diving under one genre, let's call it, "<diving>".  Obviously I do need to create a tag by that name.  I do see that I can create tags in the UI, so perhaps that is the easiest way, rather than attempting to do it in .nfo files?  Nonetheless, I am still curious about using the <tag> feature in .nfo files, and I don't understand its implications or exact usage.  If it isn't a genre, then what is it, and how is it used by the UI?  If I create a tag <tag>stuff</tag> in several .nfo files, how are the files associated with each other logically?  Having specified the <tag>stuff</tag> in the .nfo file do I then create tags <stuff>Something else</stuff> in the same file, or is creating the tag the end of it?  Is it proper to then say <genre>stuff</genre> in the same file?  Can I then use the <genre>stuff</genre> tag in other files without defining the stuff tag again?

Possible examples:

<tag>diving</tag>
<genre>diving</genre>

If this works, it is pretty obvious what it does, but then can I, in a different file simply issue:
<genre>diving</genre>
without creating the tag again, or do I have to re-create the tag in every file in which I care to employ it as a genre? 

<tag>diving</tag>
<diving>Something</diving>
<diving>Something else</diving>
<diving>Something different</diving>
<diving>Something more</diving>

This seems pretty simple, but what does it do?  How does the UI treat these entries?
(2023-07-10, 22:43)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]I do see that I can create tags in the UI, so perhaps that is the easiest way
Yes, it is the easiest way.

(2023-07-10, 22:43)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]Nonetheless, I am still curious about using the <tag> feature in .nfo files, and I don't understand its implications or exact usage.
Its just another way of collating movies or tv shows into a list that suits your own needs. Its also known as Keywords at some sites...

IMDB... https://www.imdb.com/search/keyword/
TMDB... https://www.themoviedb.org/bible/movie/5...uage=en-AU
TVDB... https://ibb.co/PcFNmRz

(2023-07-10, 22:43)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]or is creating the tag the end of it?
Yep it is the end of it.
You can't nest tags like you have shown in your bottom example. There is no <diving> tag. It is just <tag>diving</tag>

I don't really understand why you want to create a Diving genre, then create a Diving tag. Just choose one or the other. Use the <tag> method. I have already explained what <genre> is used for and given you a ton of examples.
I don't want to create both, I imagine, and I understand Genre entirely.  What I still don't know is why or when I might prefer to create a tag.  I haven't a clue of the implications.
(2023-07-19, 09:37)lesrhorer Wrote: [ -> ]I don't want to create both, I imagine, and I understand Genre entirely.  What I still don't know is why or when I might prefer to create a tag.  I haven't a clue of the implications.

Tags are an easy way to group dissimilar things together into a common logical set.  A common use for me is favorite's playlists.  Here's a brief description.    This is using a slightly different technology than NFO files but the results are the same where Mezzmo keywords sync to create Kodi tags and update all Kodi metadata (including genre).  While the front end technology is slightly different  the concepts and implementations are the same in Kodi.  The tags are then used with genre (or any other rmetadata) to create smart playlists.  In this case a collection of favorite movies by genre.  The playlists are a combination of the genre and the tags (i.e. if genre = Christmas and tag = Jeff).  

Thanks,

Jeff
Thanks!  I will mull that over.