Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Eastern European letters
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello everyone, i have installed Kodi on the Nvidia Shield Pro, and it's awesome but one thing is bothering me, I'm from Serbia and letters such as č, ć, ž don't exist. They are displayed as æ and other weird letters. I have checked the settings for input and there is no Eastern European option, only Central Europe, Western and Southern. What can i do to fix this? Thanks!
(2023-07-20, 22:14)MarkoRS5 Wrote: [ -> ]I'm from Serbia and letters such as č, ć, ž don't exist.
Where don't they exist? What pages in Kodi are you viewing?
Maybe a screenshot will help. Button 17 to upload..

As you can see, there is no option for Eastern European characters, or Latin Serbian/Croatian.
ö is supposed to be š and û is supposed to be ž.

The player is awesome, I'm basically in love with it, i just hope there is a solution for this character problem
(2023-07-21, 10:59)MarkoRS5 Wrote: [ -> ]As you can see, there is no option for Eastern European characters, or Latin Serbian/Croatian.
Ok, I think that is pretty easy to fix. You need to add a new .ttf or .otf font file that has the full Serbian/Croatian character set.
In your first image of the settings page, the second option is Fonts. This is where you can select the new font file you have added. See... https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/Player/Subtitles#Font
The fonts are added to your Kodi Data Folder\Media\Fonts folder... https://kodi.wiki/view/Kodi_data_folder
Then restart Kodi after you have added the new font file.

Do you know where to get your native language font file? Try Google Fonts... https://fonts.google.com/

Which operating system are you running Kodi on? Windows?
(2023-07-21, 10:59)MarkoRS5 Wrote: [ -> ]As you can see, there is no option for Eastern European characters, or Latin Serbian/Croatian.
ö is supposed to be š and û is supposed to be ž.

The player is awesome, I'm basically in love with it, i just hope there is a solution for this character problem

Use "Central Europe (Windows)" to get the characters you need. I use it on all my Kodi installations and have all necessary characters (ŠšĐđŽžČčĆć)
Actually, android. I'm running it on the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. Can i do the same thing? Maybe download the stuff required and put it on a usb drive?
(2023-07-21, 15:58)MarkoRS5 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, android. I'm running it on the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. Can i do the same thing? Maybe download the stuff required and put it on a usb drive?

the option suggested, even though it says windows, is available to you - see your own screenshot
(2023-07-21, 15:58)MarkoRS5 Wrote: [ -> ]Actually, android. I'm running it on the Nvidia Shield TV Pro. Can i do the same thing? Maybe download the stuff required and put it on a usb drive?

Actually I'm talking about Kodi on Android, since this forum is for Android. Anyway, suggested character set "Central Europe (Windows)"  is available and works the same on Linux, Windows and Android.. Don't be to lazy to try it out yourself  Wink
I haven't been home so I couldn't reply, but i did try everything including Central Europe (Windows) and still it doesn't work. Are there any updates i have to do?
Again, š is ö and ž is û. Weird.
(2023-07-23, 20:38)MarkoRS5 Wrote: [ -> ]I haven't been home so I couldn't reply, but i did try everything including Central Europe (Windows) and still it doesn't work. Are there any updates i have to do?
Again, š is ö and ž is û. Weird.
Since it works flawlessly for all my Cro .srt subs, in all late Kodi versions (20 & 21), on all OS installations, Linux, Android and Windows; so there is probably something wrong in your settings...
Btw, did you also set Central Europe (Windows) character set in "Settings/Interface/Regional/Character set"?
This is a SS how special characters look in my Kodi 20.2 on Android:

The solution was incredibly stupid. I had to set preferred subtitle language to Croatian somewhere in the settings (it was English before) and that seemed to have fixed it. Thank you for your help!
Not stupid at all, but very logical Wink
If you set your subtitle language to English, Kodi will use Windows ASCII Code page 1252, which does not have all needed special characters.
But if you set your subtitle language to Croatian, Kodi will use Windows ASCII Code page 1250, which has all needed special characters. 
See the difference in ASCII table here.