Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Kodi can't find external hdd; Help
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
If anyone could advise me I'd *greatly* appreciate it!

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10+ with a Samsung T7 Shield 4TB external USB drive connected (containing video files). Problem is, Kodi simply will not see the drive.

It's not found under anything or anywhere inside Kodi.

* When I click Video and then Browse and click Root, nothing happens.
* When I type in the direct address (/mnt/media-re/ etc) it doesn't work.
* When I go under File Manager, nothing.
* I've given the app full permissions.

I'd like to plug my external HDD into a 100watt powered hub and have my phone connected, hdd connected and my smart TV.

It all works except the one problem: Kodi can't find my hdd whether it's connected via the hub or plugged directly into my phone.

Please advise
Couple of corrections:
* It's an external SSD not HDD
* I meant /mnt/media-rW/ not "re"
Most likely permissions need to be allowed for Kodi

https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/...permission

That gives a general idea of the process, but it does alter slightly from vendor to vendor.
Thank you for your time. However, as mentioned above, I have already given the app full permissions. So this is not the reason Kodi cannot see my external SSD.

Total Commander, Microsoft exFAT/NTFS and Solid Explorer can all see any drive on I plug into my handheld device or into any hub. I'm near-certain it is an issue with Kodi itself.

I'm sure the key will be something simple, once discovered. A setting in the app perhaps? Somebody out there knows the answer this (seemingly) fairly common problem
Look for sources.xml in %APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata
Code:

<sources>
    <programs>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
    </programs>
    <video>
        <default pathversion="1"></default>
        <source>
            <name>Music Vids</name>
            <path pathversion="1">Z:\Kodi Content\Music Vids\</path>
            <thumbnail pathversion="1">Z:\Kodi Content\Backgrounds\folders\bowie.JPG</thumbnail>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
        <source>
            <name>1080 Testcards</name>
            <path pathversion="1">Z:\Kodi Content\1080 Testcards\</path>
            <thumbnail pathversion="1">Z:\Kodi Content\Backgrounds\folders\1080.jpg</thumbnail>
            <allowsharing>true</allowsharing>
        </source>
(2023-07-28, 15:43)NeverADullMoment Wrote: [ -> ]Look for sources.xml in %APPDATA%\Kodi\userdata

i think you are lost, there is no %APPDATA% on android and i dont see how looking in the sources file is going to help kodi see a drive

-----

more-so on topic - apps on android can use virtual filesystems on android where kodi requires drives to be mounted directly in the operating system

if - you can see it under 'adb shell mount'
then - you can add it to kodi's file manager manually by entering the path

if - you can not see it mounted to the operating in adb then kodi will never see it