Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Problems playing HEVC video files in Kodi but not in VLAN
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi
So I have a file(s) that are coded with 10 bits, HEVC and 1080p.
They play on my Nvidia Shield with Kodi Nexus and also in windows on VLAN. Note: I have not installed any HEVC codec!

I also have a Samsung TAB that plays the files in VLAN but not in Kodi Nexus
So clearly the hardware is good enough on the Samsung TAB, because I can play the files in VLAN.
Do I need to install a codec for HEVC and how do I do that, step by step?

Thanks in advance for all your help.
/M
To receive meaningful assistance you will need to provide a full debug log.

The instructions are here... debug log (wiki)

If you are using the Basic Method, then ensure the following is applied...
1.Enable debugging in Settings>System Settings>Logging,
2.Restart Kodi
3.Replicate the problem.
4.Upload the log to Kodi Paste Site manually or use the Kodi Logfile Uploader. (wiki) With either method post the link to the log back here.

If you are using the Advanced Method ensure you have correctly created and applied the advancedsettings.xml file (wiki)

In both instances, you should see the word DEBUG throughout the log.

Note: Full logs only. No partial or redacted logs
Do NOT post your logs directly into the forum. Use the Kodi Paste Site. Post the link to your pasted log in the forum
The forum moderators have determined that banned addons (wiki) are present on your system. To receive assistance here, these banned items must be removed. If a clean log is not submitted within 3 days, then the relevant post(s) will be removed after this time.
Hi
I have just reinstalled Kodi from Google Play Store.
Did not help and the same error happens.
Anyway I tried to use  Kodi Logfile Uploader but it says that the file is lager than 1mb.
So then I tried to find the file manually in Android:
/data/org.xbmc.kodi/cache/temp/kodi.log
/sdcard/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log
/storage/emulated/0/Android/data/org.xbmc.kodi/files/.kodi/temp/kodi.log

But I can't find these files in my system, maybe it's the file manager that does not show the files?

/M
Hi
I think I managed to find the kodi log:
hastebin - aganaxuwuv (kodi.tv)

Anyway I think it starts here:
2023-08-02 08:56:38.914 T:2603    debug <general>: CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::AddData current state (2)
2023-08-02 08:56:38.923 T:2233    debug <general>: Could not acquire timestamp
2023-08-02 08:56:38.933 T:2603    error <general>: CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec:GetOutputPicture dequeueOutputBuffer failed
2023-08-02 08:56:38.933 T:2603    error <general>: CDVDVideoCodecAndroidMediaCodec::GetPicture dequeueInputBuffer failed

/M
@mindraider disable mediacodec
Hi
Thanks, that did the trickSmile
That's not really a trick - it disable hw acceleration ... but most likely no other alternative, as mediacodec's implementation (your hw bsp) is not fixable by us.
(2023-08-02, 22:33)fritsch Wrote: [ -> ]That's not really a trick - it disable hw acceleration ... but most likely no other alternative, as mediacodec's implementation (your hw bsp) is not fixable by us.

fwiw its the same on a FireHD 10 - i remembered this from a few months ago, same issue black screen if mediacodec is enabled, i believe there is also an old issue on github for it
Maybe it helps to keep Mediacodec enable, but Mediacodec Surface disabled, if it actually is a HW-Render issue only. Then at least the heavy lifting for decoding is done in HW.